new routine - Feedback, please?

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

skully
REGULAR

new routine - Feedback, please?

Post by skully »

Wow. Yesterday I got a nice comment. Someone who hasn't seen me in two months said I look really good and that arms got bigger. Funny how I don't see it! LOL. Anyway, so the next two months will be dedicated for purely muscle building, then I am going on a 2-week cutting phase after each 10-12 weeks of weight training. During cutting phase, I plan to do full body workouts instead of splits 3x a week with 3x times cardio (HITT 2x & one body combat) as this combination works wonders for me.

So split is as follows:

Friday Legs & abs
Saturday Chest & Triceps
Sunday Shoulders, Traps & abs
Monday Bodybalance or off (just a lil sum for flexiblity as I lack it completely and good stretching!)
Tuesday Bodycombat
Wednesday Back, biceps and abs
Thursday Off

FYI: First exercise is purely warm up sets with low weight or none.

Friday – Legs & abs Sets/Reps

Squats 2/20
Romanian deadlift 4/6-10
Front squats 4/6
Hack squats 4/8-10
Standing/lying leg curl 3/12
Sissy squats 3/12
Standing calf raises 3/10
Seated calf raises 3/10

Saturday– Chest & triceps Sets/Reps
Pushups variations 3/10
Flat Bench Presses 4/8
Close grip Bench Presses 4/8
Incline Dumbbell Presses 4/8
Cable Crossovers 3/12
Dips (assisted machine) 4/8
Pullover 3/10
Pushdown 4/10

Sunday – Shoulders, traps, & abs Sets/Reps
Military press 3/10
Seated Dumbbell Presses 3/6-8
Seated Barbell presses 3/8-10
Clean and press 3/10
Barbell/Dumbell Shrugs 4/8-10
Side lateral raises 4/10

Wednesday – Back, Biceps, & abs Sets/Reps
Chin ups (bodyweight) 3/ to failure
Wide-grip pull-ups (assisted) 4/8-10
Reverse-grip pull downs 4/8-10
Barbell rows 4/8
Rowing machine 4/8
Reverse Grip Wide pull down
(not the usual machine) 3/10
Barbell Preacher curls 3/6-8
Superset with
Barbell curls 3/10
Dumbbell hammer curls 3/6-8
Superset with
Alternating incline dumbbell curl 3/10

What do you guys think? Does it seem reasonable? I made sure that I kept the compounds for the fisr few exercises to hit major muscle groups, then added in isolations & shapers. A bit of strength & volume training. I'll follow the above for 10 weeks, then go on a 2-week cutting phase, yes, for an ecto that's all I need to rip the fat with the right foods.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Re: new routine - Feedback, please?

Post by Bonnie »

I still don't understand why people think they need to build up muscle, then remove fat.Both can be done at the same time.

Where is your cardiovascular or cardiorespiratory workouts ?
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

I've been doing both all along. Bodycombat is cardio, 45-minutes.

Problem is that I lose muscle and fat way easily. If I lost fat I lose muscle with it with a snap of a finger (luckily, or not, being an Ecto) doesn't help at all.

What I simply mean is that I am keeping cardio to a minimum now, and after 10 weeks I'll up it to 3 times a week with full body workouts instead, then go back to focusing on more muscle building. I have lost over 11% of fat just doing that last year, no cardio no nothing..when I mean cutting, I simply mean let the muscles show & get ripped & stuff. I think I have a decent muscle base now than I did one year ago.

how is cardiorespiratory different than normal cardio?

Oh and occasionally I do boxing 20-30minutes for fun. Although it's high intensity, I see it as a fun thing to do & letting off steam...NOT part of workouts.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Cardiovascular in opinion is more vein, heart based, where as respiratory refers more to the lungs & oxygen capabilities.Intervals ( anaerobic ) actually help with pathways of the phosphate system., They also engage the fast twitch fibers, also invaluable to weight training.They do burn fat though, but if you are eating correctly it shouldn't be an issue.I have a lot of definition & do both weights & interval training.I am not sure what body types have to do with anything, I don't even know own, so if you have a link to it, feel free to post it so I can read up on it, thanks.
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

Here it is. There are a lot of posts on this - and for the most part it makes sense. Why do some people eat anything but don't look fat? (probably are fat inside..) still...

http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/bodytypeinformation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do engage in cardio, it's not that I've ditched it all together. I didn't there is heart-based and lung-based cardio. Aren't both worked out at the same time anyway?

Either ways, bodycombat is part of les millis classes & I like it. It incorporates the whole body with a lot of kicks, jabs, hooks...but all air punching and air kicking. Not as easy as it sounds if done correctly! Lots of the trainers who do it (and I asked them) are somewhat ripped, ucan see their shoulders, biceps, triceps from just doing those classes.

I like HIIt, but it takes so much out of me...I usually stay sore for one week in legs, cuz i know it's more anarobic than areobic...and it does help me shed the fat A LOT. With body, I can see instant results when I do cardio & eat right ( below maintence level). However, I am looking pretty good now (I think) from just weight training 4 days a week + 1 or 2 cardio sessions. One long, one short. I am not gaining much as I had a set back for a month with uni and stuff, I was exercising and all, just not eating or as right.

Now I have 2 months off ( choice b4 I join the workforce) to just focus on this full-out.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Great, hope you enjoy them.Yes both respiratory & vascular systems are worked during cardio, the variance would be the fuel source used & the amount of oxygen utilized.Two sessions of intervals are all that are necessary per week, if you decide to do them.

Those trainers may also be doing other things than that class.Though the class sounds physically challenging.
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

Oh yes of course. They do a number of other classes, but some of these classes (if done) correctly can really great muscle shapers. Bodycombat is awesome and it is challenging, even better it teaches you self defence. Sadly where I go, a lot of the females don't know how to preoprly do them, nor understand what is being done in class. I honestly have seen people going to 2-3 CARDIO classes a DAY...and look exactly the same as they did one year ago. Even though, endurance level is slightly suffering, but doing weights & 1-2 cardio session a week a total of 1.5h has done wonders for me. I think I am pretty..toned? i think is the wrong word, but look rather healthy and fit. I really would like to reach that point where shoulder are popped and bis and tris are seen without me flexing! LOL.