New Workout Routine

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

jesusmagris
STARTING OUT

New Workout Routine

Post by jesusmagris »

cousin is a personal trainer and he hooked me up with a pretty solid workout routine that he follows himself. Hope it can be of use to anyone. Also i created a website with 100% free articles on fitness and health. If you have a chance check it out... http://Fitness365.Info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; any feedback on website will be highly appreciated whether negative or positve. Once again thanks in advance. :)

Phase: 1

Weekly Progression: Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4
Core Sets: 2 2 3 3
Reps: 12 12 10 8
Balance: Sets: 2 2 3 3
Reps: 12 12 10 8
Reactive: Sets: 2 3 3 3
Reps: 8 8 10 10
Resistance: Sets: 3 3 4 5
Reps: 12 10 8 6

Intensity: 75% 80% 80% 85%

Monday: Chest / Shoulders Tuesday: Back Thursday: Legs Friday: Arms 60 Minute Resistance Training & 20 minute Cardio Intervals of 80-85% and 86-90% of HRMax (HR max = 220-age) (20 minutes MUST be high intensity interval training)
Wednesday/Saturday: 60 minute Cardio High Intensity Interval Training (Ex: Group ex class, martial arts, Sprint/ Speed Training)

Monday
Stretch 5-10 minutes
Warm-up- 5-10 minutes (ex: treadmill)
Core
1.) Wood Chops with Cable
2.) Reverse Crunch
Balance
1.) Single Leg Squat Touchdown
Reactive
1.) Squat Jump

Resistance (Super Set)
1.) Flat Bench Press / Flat DB Flys
2.) Incline DB Press / Incline DB Flys
3.) Stand Cable Press / Stand Cable Fly
4.) BB Military Press / Front Raise
5.) Upright Row / Lateral Raise
6.) Bent Over Row / Rear Flys Over Hand Grip (rear delts)

Cardio
20 minute Cardio Intervals of 80-85% and 86-90% of HRMax (HR max = 220-age) (20 minutes MUST be high intensity interval training)

Tuesday:
Stretch 5-10 minutes
Core
1.) Vertical Crunch
2.) Plank
Balance
1.) Single leg Straight Leg Deadlifts
Reactive
1.) Lateral Broad Jump
Resistance
1.) Pull-Up
2.) Seated Row
3.) Pull-Down
4.) Pull Overs
5.) 1 Arm DB Row
6.) Rear Flys (Inside Grip)

Cardio
20 minute Cardio Intervals of 80-85% and 86-90% of HRMax (HR max = 220-age) (20 minutes MUST be high intensity interval training)

Wednesday: 60 minute Cardio High Intensity Interval Training (Ex: Group ex class, martial arts, Sprint/ Speed Training)

Thursday:

Stretch 5-10 minutes
Core
1.) Woodchops with Cable
2.) Hanging Leg Curls (Straight, Rt, LFT= 1 rep)
Balance
1.) 1 foot Stand on Bosu (30 Sec each foot)
Reactive
1.) Speed Skaters

1.) Straight Leg Dead Lifts
2.) Leg Press
3.) Lunges or Step - Ups
4.) Leg Curls
5.) Leg Extensions
6.) Calf Press

Friday:
Stretch 5-10 minutes
Core
1.) SB Crunch with MB
2.) Lying Leg Rotations
Balance
1.) Single Leg Diagnal Woodchop (touch toe to sky at opposite shoulder)
Reactive
1.) Lunge Jumps
Resistance (Super-Set)
1.) Preacher Curl / Skull Crushers (use curl bar for both)
2.) Rope Curl / Rope Extensions
3.) Hammer Curl / Dips
4.) 1 arm machine preacher curls / 1 arm machine Hammer extensions
5.) Alternating DB Curl with Rotation / 1 Arm DB or Cable Kickbacks
Cardio

Saturday: 60 minute Cardio High Intensity Interval Training (Ex: Group ex class, martial arts, Sprint/ Speed Training)

Sunday: OFF
Bonnie
VETERAN

Re: New Workout Routine

Post by Bonnie »

goodness where to start...

As a recently graduated personal trainer myself ..

1 Don't wear your core out BEFORE resistance training, otherwise you lifts will suck.
2.Don't do interval training on weight days...if you must do cardiovascular, do steady state
3.Don't do 60 minutes of interval training, the limit is 20 minutes.
4.Tell your cousin the karvonen formula is more accurate than max heart rate, though as a personal trainer he should know that.
5.I don't want to know what school your cousin attended to let him lose on the public :shock:
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Intervals & weights both utilize the nervous system is why.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Well I haven't been a trainer long enough to, know much about these specific classes.The only thing I do know is recommend by the american council on exercise is intervals should only be done 2 x a week for 20 mins.Not sure what effects 60 minutes of central nervous system stimulation does really.Suppose I should google that.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Most people take at least 30 seconds of rest between sets.I think it depends on the continued use of the nerve impulses, then again I've not googled it yet, perhaps boss man would know ?
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Here is some rational for the reason, however I haven't come across the 20 minute for intervals reason yet.. unless it utilizes more per session than weights would.

http://www.criticalbench.com/CNS_centra ... atigue.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.projectswole.com/conditionin ... ou-use-it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

One main reason for rest between sets is to allow for Oxygen recovery to muscles.

Lactic Acid, which is a byproduct of Glycolysis, occurs when the end product of Glucose and Glycogen, Pyruvate, encounters anaerobic respiration, because of lack of Oxygen.

The resulting Oxygen deficeit can cause Lactid Acid and something called Ethanol Alcohol.

Oxygen replenishment would depend on two main things.

1. Speed of delivery, I.E. how dilated Bloodvessels are. Caffeine is a substance that could couteract the dilation process, by having a constricting effect.

2. Red Blood Cell, (Erythrocyte), count. Caffeine can block Iron, the main component in Erythrocytes, so regular consumption could reduce numbers, leading to reduced Oxygenation of the Arterial bloodstream by default.

Veinerial bloodstream is pretty much Oxygen depleted, hence the blue colour.

Both things could have an effect on Oxygen to muscle delivery and as Oxygen is a component of ATP, the Phosphate energy stored in Mitochondria that helps muscle move, ATP formation might be hindered somewhat.

In general I would advise 30-60 seconds rest for small muscles, and 90-120 for big ones, because logically they need more Oxygen replenishment.

The CNS and PNS are made up of two cell types. Neurons, the electrical impulse carriers and Glial cells, the ones that basically as I understand it, Mother the Neurons. They feed, water and tidy up bits of genetic debris, (if you will), around them.

Both types are in a 50 / 50 ratio.

Reality is, you need to rest these things like any other bit of the body and if you're exercising hard and taxing them a lot, then too much becomes too much, but even for normal levels of activity they are required, because electrical stimulus goes to places like the eyes and mouth, so simply sitting and talking would require nervous activity, but if the strength of activity is significantly lower, than that needed to sustain the state, the two nervous systems got into when working out, then complete nervous recovery should be possible in people with no existing nervous deficiencies or conditions.

Incidentally two other things about the Nervous system are.

1. Cholesterol is used to make Myelin, the sheath around the Nervous systems.

2. The body can produce an Omega 9, (Non-essential Fatty Acid), called Nervonic Acid, which is used to produce Nervones, that act positively on the Nervous systems. Whether you can get such an Omega 9 supplementally I don't know, but if so, it may improve nervous recovery, but you'd need to do research first, to make sure you weren't creating a situation where too much was in the body at once, as I don't know what would happen, or whether you could get some kind of toxicity issue or not.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

The question is, why do they recommend only 20 mins of say treadmill intervals, however there are 60 minute interval type classes,with weights & cardiovascular training together.Generally I try things out myself to see the difference, in this case I've never taken one of those classes to know the intensity.Though I can't imagine it possibly being as intense as 20 mins of solid treadmill intervals.
pmaloney
STARTING OUT

Post by pmaloney »

This is a good 20-minute workout suggestion.

Superset #1:

Squats – 6 reps
Bench press – 6 reps

Superset #2:

Deadlift – 6 reps
Bent Over Barbell Row – 6 reps

Superset #3:

Lunges – 8 reps
Shoulder Press – 8 reps

Superset #4:

Leg Press – 10 reps
Pull-Ups – 10 reps