Work out program - General Questions

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Unity7
STARTING OUT

Work out program - General Questions

Post by Unity7 »

Last year was a terrible year. I was on some medication that unfortunately promoted weight gain :|

Most of that weight is on stomach and it is obvious, it appears it was disproportionately stored their compared to the rest of body. So ultimately I'm trying to figure out how to get that fat out of there. I am interested in gaining some muscle. Like most guys the number on the scale, 151 lbs @ 5'6" BMI 24.5, would be ok if it was a result of muscle instead of of the jiggly wiggly.

I obviously revamped diet. Bye bye processed sausage, egg and cheese biscuit and coffee with processed additives for breakfast; hello granola, strawberries, banana and coffee with no artificial flavoring. I like alcohol every now and then so I dropped beer and got red wine, obviously nothing excessive.

If primary goal is to get rid of the fat on stomach and the secondary goal is to get a little muscle what should I do? There is contradictory stuff EVERYWHERE. Eat whole wheat pasta, don't eat whole wheat pasta, eat fruit, don't eat too much fruit, eat nuts, don't eat nuts, drink low-fat milk, no dairy at all, don't eat 1 hour before sleep, 2 hours before sleep, etc The obvious stuff is, well obvious. Decrease salt intake, eliminate processed foods, refined sugar, trans fat, sugary drinks, etc. The rest of the diet and an exercise routine tailored to what goals are is what I'm trying to find.

If it matters, when I was younger in late teens and early twenties I had a freaking sky high metabolism while eating that processed stuff. Only recently it has caught up to me. Needless to say any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Re: Work out program - General Questions

Post by Bonnie »

You can try a full body resistance workout, or if you don't have access to a gym, a full body plyometric workout, either via researching on youtube or some people on here use DVD's.

You could try Interval training for your cardiovascular, tends to promote a longer lasting metabolic increase, than steady state cardiovascular training.

When it comes to eating, six small meals daily with lean protein, healthy fats & complex carbohydrates is good.I am not a nutritionist, boss man or Lesplease could help you more accurately with detailed information.If neither of them stop by your thread, send them a pm.Good luck :)
Unity7
STARTING OUT

Post by Unity7 »

I did find an interval training video I've tried it and I really enjoy it. What is the best way to proceed with it though? I've read its suppose to tire you out so much that you literally can't do it everyday and that if you can do it everyday then your not pushing yourself hard enough.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

It is recommended to do them 2 x per week, in studies.I do them 2 x personally, other cardio can be steady state, higher intensity ( quicker pace ) = shorter time.... 20 minutes for short 40 minutes for less quick pace.
Unity7
STARTING OUT

Post by Unity7 »

How worn out should I be on the day after working intervals?

Should I still have soreness throughout legs for the entire day? If I felt like I could do a light jog the next day would that indicate I didn't push myself hard enough?

Also what is the best diet for those doing intervals? More protein on the day you do the interval and more carbs on the recovery day? The video I found was just an example of an interval exercise (sprinting/walking) and didn't contain much more beyond that.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Unity7 wrote:How worn out should I be on the day after working intervals?

Should I still have soreness throughout legs for the entire day? If I felt like I could do a light jog the next day would that indicate I didn't push myself hard enough?

Also what is the best diet for those doing intervals? More protein on the day you do the interval and more carbs on the recovery day? The video I found was just an example of an interval exercise (sprinting/walking) and didn't contain much more beyond that.
You should be a quivering mess the next day ; )

The best thing would be if you couldn't finish your workout because you almost died during it! I'm being facetious, but really, you should be going all out during those intervals, 100%. I used to try to make myself fail by going as hard as I possibly could during the interval - so that muscles were fatigued to the point that I couldn't continue to the end of the workout. Of course keep your health and fitness level in mind, and practice good form no matter what. Try http://bodyrock.tv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for diet options and high intensity interval workouts, I love that website for both the workouts and the diet advice.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Les or boss post a example of a healthy diet...before Unity7, finds some crappy one to follow.

The intervals can be as example 1:3 ratio.. 30/90 second split at between 85 to 100 % max effort

1:2 ratio 1 min/2min at 80 % or higher if you can

or
1:1 ratio 1 min/1min aerobic under 80 % max effort.

Light jog is great the next day.
Unity7
STARTING OUT

Post by Unity7 »

I'll be looking forward to see if someone posts an example of their diet. As of right now I've already done what I've found to be the universally agreed on principles: Getting rid of refined sugars and grains, processed foods, trans fats, sugary drinks, excessive sodium intake, high fat dairy products.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

I actually posted own diet in journal, however am currently tweaking the amount of dairy, grains, myself etc.The basis of it is solid though..its under new updated out with the old in with the new, I think ?..
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Lesplease wrote:Her diet advice is pretty dodgy. She's a trainer, not a dietitian.
Good point. I thought it was a useful suggestion for a beginner because she makes an effort to break down the importance of eating small meals frequently, and she has a lot of ideas on the site for upping protein and eating 5 times per day. You're right though, she's not the best.

Use caution on the bodyrock site if you check it out Unity!
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Unity keep the grains in, maybe just moderate them or use wise choices, low on the Glycemic index.Though again the overall glycemic load should be taken into account per meal.Still not done that myself, so I just stick with lower ones..
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Les you've me so convinced that nutrition is more science than basic knowledge I'd not touch it without at least a one to two year study & certificate :) Which I do hope to do in the future.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Well I'm 47 years old, so a modified program will have to do.Otherwise I'd of gone to university for fitness studies.

What exactly is your END goal certification ?.. out of curiosity.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

In english Les, with words huh ;)