Most Efficient Use of Time

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

BeepBeep6262
STARTING OUT

Most Efficient Use of Time

Post by BeepBeep6262 »

So I'm trying to lose about 15-20lbs. I lost around 30 a couple years back and haven't visited the forum in a while. I know it's mostly diet that's keeping me from getting the remaining weight off, but I've been very inconsistent with workouts as well, something that I'd like to change and soon.

Quite a bit has changed for me the last few months, I have a 4 month old son and wife went back to school. This gives me little time to workout if any at all. I'm trying to put together the most efficient workout I can with the time I have.

I have a smith press and a elliptical at home. I'm going to try and set aside an hour, 5 days of the week. What are the best lifts I can do 3 days of the week? On the other 2 maybe 3 days is it worth doing sit ups, crunches, or any of those exercises or concentrate just on the cardio? Just trying to get the most out of the time I have.

Thanks!
Sammel85
STARTING OUT

Re: Most Efficient Use of Time

Post by Sammel85 »

Just curious, are you the full time carer of your child, or are you working and then caring for your child while your wife is at school??

The reason I'm asking is because what I'm about to tell you is what I always tell friend who says she's got no time to exercise either (she's a full time carer):
"You have a child, not a hindrance"
Unless your child or yourself are ill, there shouldn't be any reason why you can not exercise.

1. For a child at that age, you should have a pram. Prams are mobile. Go out for a walk or run. Some parks have gym type equipment or playground equipment every now and then. Walk/Run around and each time you reach the equipment, do a quick workout:
- Monkey bars: pull/chin ups, hanging leg raises
- Steps: incline pushups, lunges, squats, sprints up and down
- Hurdles/Planks: step up and down, jump on and off, jump over back and forth
- Firemans pole: climb up aiming to only use your arms, increase the intensity by holding your legs up
- etc

2. I've never known a to do this, but there are 'mummy fitness' groups. They use the child like they would weights. The babies love it and it also helps to increase the connection between the child and parent, something some fathers tend to feel they lack. Just be careful not to feed the child just before the class - vomit in the face during a chest press with the child would not be good

3. If you have any friends who have young children also, organise fitness get togethers

For your question, in a limited time, it is best to try to work your major muscles or as many muscle groups as possible each exercise.
For example (I don't have a great deal of experience with a smith machine), but you could have the bar set up to do a dead lift and then go into an upright row. This way, your working your back, butt, hamstrings, quads and also your shoulders all together. Always keep your abs switched on and they'll get more of a workout also. For two days a week, try to do a full body workout and then you can spend the other three days doing cardio (preferably 4 or 5 days of at least 30 min each at a decent intensity)
BeepBeep6262
STARTING OUT

Post by BeepBeep6262 »

Sammel,

Thanks for the response. Yes caring for child while wife is at work. I wasn't trying to use child for a reason not to work out, just trying to figure out the best workouts to do when I do have time to work out.

I've been trying different things the last couple weeks, starting to get into a routine. I actually get up early and workout before work three days of the week and have worked out the last couple weekends. Seems to be working so far. If it was easy everyone would do it, right?!?!?
johnroberts
STARTING OUT

Post by johnroberts »

hi mah man. can realate to your situation.well, losing 10-15 pounds is tough if you only have limited amount of time for wourkout.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

it might be easier to split that 60mins up into 2 x 30mins maybe
Kevsworld
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by Kevsworld »

You may want to try to do "non-competing supersets," like going between bench press and squats. That way you are working different muscle groups, keeping your heart rate up, and making the most of limited time. You may also want to look into interval training--it's more time efficient than jogging.

Kevin
http://strongandfit.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZenFitness
STARTING OUT

Post by ZenFitness »

You nailed it... your diet is going to be the cincher here. If you want to lose weight, start religiously and meticulously counting your calories. Look up what you need for maintenance calories and then for fat loss, then start a lean protein diet plan that targets that lower caloric level. Slow and steady is the way to go with dieting as this will also change your eating habits.
robbdogg30
STARTING OUT

Post by robbdogg30 »

BeepBeep6262 wrote:So I'm trying to lose about 15-20lbs. I lost around 30 a couple years back and haven't visited the forum in a while. I know it's mostly diet that's keeping me from getting the remaining weight off, but I've been very inconsistent with workouts as well, something that I'd like to change and soon.

Quite a bit has changed for me the last few months, I have a 4 month old son and wife went back to school. This gives me little time to workout if any at all. I'm trying to put together the most efficient workout I can with the time I have.

I have a smith press and a elliptical at home. I'm going to try and set aside an hour, 5 days of the week. What are the best lifts I can do 3 days of the week? On the other 2 maybe 3 days is it worth doing sit ups, crunches, or any of those exercises or concentrate just on the cardio? Just trying to get the most out of the time I have.

Thanks!
I know what you mean on not having enough time. I found a great workout program online that I've been doing that has helped me tremendously. I do circuit training 3 days a week, which take about 45 minutes, and then do HIIT ( High Intensity Interval Training) for 15 minutes.