Heart rate question, advice please

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Steinbock
STARTING OUT

Heart rate question, advice please

Post by Steinbock »

I am 50/6'.1"/218 lbs, been exercising regularly for about a year, lost about 40 pounds in process.
According to most heart rate calculators, exercise target heart rate should be between 111 - 136 bpm (65% to 85% of max heart rate). Exercising at a rate lower than 130 bpm leaves me, well, "un-exercised" and feeling that I wasted time. During cardio, I have no trouble running for extended time (30-45 minutes) at 150-155 bpm, and 165 or so for few minutes. That leaves me tired but not exhausted and I really enjoy the surge of energy and adrenaline after. According to most people I spoke to, heart of more than 150 is waaaaay too high for age group and they recommend that I should take it easy and stick to a maximum of 135-140. What do you guys think? Certainly not looking for a stroke or heart failure, so I am concerned... Your responses will be appreciated.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Re: Heart rate question, advice please

Post by Bonnie »

I am 47 & heart rate after intervals on the elliptical was in the 190's.Usually when doing running it can be around 156 to 160 +.I personally see nothing wrong with this if one has been conditioning for some time.Have you taken your resting pulse before getting out of bed ? You can have a more accurate HR zone that way.Not the usual 220 - age situation.