I'm confused

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

run91
STARTING OUT

I'm confused

Post by run91 »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to start a work out program but I am confused about what to do. Right now I work out 3 times a week, and do one chest excercise,one shoulder and one back, one tricep and one bicep. If I want to build muscle do I need to work different parts of the same muscle if so do I work the chest one day and maybe shoulders and then the next day work biceps and triceps and so on. I hope this makes sense. Can anyone help. Thanks. I need a simple work out routine.

Bob :?
ArkansasRob
STARTING OUT

Re: I'm confused

Post by ArkansasRob »

Hey Bob,
I am not a body builder, 6-3 193 run and cycle too much to build massive muscle
But yes each body part has several layers of muscle, and most workouts only focus about 70% of them...the rest come from movement through weird positions and yoga and running and stuff.
Chest and Triceps are complimentary and you don't want to work them the same day, actually you want 3 days at least between them or until you recover completely from soreness
Same with Back and Biceps
Shoulders need to be worked too, if your shoulders hurt during chest or back workouts you need to focus more on them.
Do you workout your legs?
If I did just a 3 day plan
Day 1
Chest and Biceps and Forearms
Chests have several layers of muscle, just doing bench press with only work 20% of it...be sure you get incline decline and flies in.

Day 2
Rest

Day 3
Back and Triceps

Day 4
Rest

Day 5
Shoulders, (Legs if you do them, they are essential for increasing your testosterone)

And remember, always trick yourself. "Muscle Memory" is there, you never want to get repetitive, always find different positions and different reps and different sets to ensure your muscles will grow.
Im sure you know all of this
ArkansasRob
STARTING OUT

Post by ArkansasRob »

http://www.sgfitnessonline.com/IMAGE/gladiatorChest.jpg and yes every body party has several different areas to work
Kevsworld
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by Kevsworld »

If you are a new trainee you would probably find it most helpful to do a full body routine a 2-3 days a week. As your training intensifies you'll need more rest between workouts and should progress to an upper body/lower body split.

But splitting your routine up into several different body parts is probably not going to be necessary. That's something professional bodybuilders do, but it isn't practical or helpful for the rest of us.

Just email me with any questions and I'll be happy to help.

http://strongandfit.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
run91
STARTING OUT

Post by run91 »

Thanks
That is what I needed to know. I have only been doing just flat bench press and not incline or fly's. I haven't been doing legs but I will start. Also I guess I need to do varrious excercise for the shoulders as well? I just need to figure out how to set a program up.
ArkansasRob
STARTING OUT

Post by ArkansasRob »

run91 wrote:Thanks
That is what I needed to know. I have only been doing just flat bench press and not incline or fly's. I haven't been doing legs but I will start. Also I guess I need to do varrious excercise for the shoulders as well? I just need to figure out how to set a program up.
Yeah your shoulder has a deltoid muscle, an infraspinatus, and the trapezius.
The deltoid is what lifts your arm.
The infraspinatus is a pull muscle, usually worked enough with back
Trapezius lifts your shoulder to your neck
All of them are full of tendons and ligaments and have to have great care when worked, GREAT CARE
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

ArkansasRob wrote: Yeah your shoulder has a deltoid muscle, an infraspinatus, and the trapezius.
It's not quite like that Rob :).

The Shoulder has 3 muscles, the Anterior Deltoid, (front), Lateral Deltoid, (Middle), Posterior Deltoid, (Back).

The Shoulder also has something cvalled the Rotator Cuff, comprising of the Teres Minor, Inraspinatus, Supraspinatus and Subscapularis, that allows for Lateral and Bi-rotational movement. They are all connected by Tendons of the same name to the Ball and Socket Joint.

The Trapezius is a muscle with three sections, Ascending, Lateral and Descending, which is at the top of the Back and is considered part of the Back itself.

Hopefully that clarifies things, incase there was any confusion or misinterpretation :).