joining a gym, nautilus equipment

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

joining a gym, nautilus equipment

Post by PandorasVise »

Well I have been working out at home for years now and it has done me well. I follow one program or another for a month or two at a time and then find a new one. The last few months, I am jusy plain not into it. I used to never let an excuse get in way, but lately, I can just say to myself, "maybe later" and that is all I need to not workout.

I was thinking that I need a new environment so today I am going to join the gym. I have been there before for a yoga class and there are tons of machines. Some of them, I don't know what they do. There is a free weight room, a cardio room and a nautilus room. I am thinking of using the nautilus equipment because I never have before.

Thinking of doing a 3 day split. I picked these body parts to work on based on a free weight book I have.

Monday ~ Chest Quads Tricep and Core
Wednesday ~ Back Hamstring Bicep Core
Friday ~ Glutes Shoulders Core

Question though, Do I really need to work the core every session? Isn't core muscle still just muscles, and like the other muscles shouldn't they rest?

Would it be better to do a full body workout instead of a split?

I have no knowlege of these machines so any advise would be awesome
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: joining a gym, nautilus equipment

Post by Boss Man »

Some machines are not bad, but some are.

The main ones to avoid are things like the Abs Machine, Bicep Machine, Tricep Machine and Adductor Machine, but as for free weights, free weights are often the best solution, particularly for Biceps.
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Echoing Boss and Allison, I've had much more luck and found myself a lot more challenged by using free weights. I have back problems (degenerative disc disease thanks to a car accident at 21) and core strengthening is a major thing for me. Orthopedic Surgeon told me to do core exercises every day and specifically instructed me against using machines telling me that machines do little to get all of the muscles to work together. Once I instituted that routine last year 95% of all back pain went away and I actually was able to become more physically active than ever before.
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

I joined up and got the tour. Some of the machines I like, some not so much. The bicep is the weirdest feeling one. I tried the back machine and it really doesn't do anything. Ab machine kind of stressed back.

There is this one machine called the quantum crunch for abs, you can add weights to it and I like that one. Another one I like was the multi hip machine. It is like doing weighted crescent kicks!!! I like the pullup and dip assist station.

One cardio machine they have that I have never been on is the arc trainer. It is really a workout after you get used to the movement. sort of like elliptical, sort of like stairs, weird back and forth movement. Never seen any one use it besides myself.

I am so far liking the gym. Took an ab class, liked it. Took a yoga class, didn't like it.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Ab Machines are not good. Most people either overload them or get the height wrong, so they don't position their neck in the correct place thereby not utilising the Neck rest.

Bicep machines are poor as well for 2 reasons.

1. Overloading of the weight with the right seat height, which causes the persons body to be pushed against the front of the machine, by the excessive weight and meaning they can't do a full range of motion.

2. Overloading of the weight plus the wrong seat height, meaning they get dragged or lurch over the top of the machine somewhat, which means they reach the end point of the range of motion, but the dragging or lurching means they never actually use a full range of motion and they potentially utilise things like the Delts, which is not the point.

The Bicep is also the most flexible muscle in the body.

1. Bicep Curls

2. Bicep Curls with a 90 degree twist.

3. Bicep Curls with a 180 degree twist.

4. Seated Bicep Curls with or without a twist

5. Inclined Bicep Curls alternating or tandem

6. E-Z Bar Curls

7. Reverse E-Z Bar Curls

8. E-Z Bar Preacher Curls

9. Reverse E-Z Bar Preacher Curls

10. Concentration Curls

11. Preacher Curls

12. Cable Preacher Curls

13. Olympic Bar Curls

14. Two handed Cable Curls

15. One Handed Cable Curls

16. Lying Cable Curls.

17. Inclined Cable Curls

18. Zottman Curls

19. Hammer Curls

20. Seated Hammer Curls

21. Inclined Hammer Curls

22. Preacher Curls with the back of an Inclined Bench.

23. Two Handed Preacher Curls

24. Hammer Curls, curling into the chest area

25. Two handed Hammer Curls using a Bar, (The lozenge shaped one with vertical grips).

26. Two handed Hammer Preacher Curls, (same bar as above).

27. Straight Bar Curls

28. Reverse Straight Bar Curls

29. Straight Bar 21's.

30. E-Z Bar 21's.

31. Reverse Cable Preacher Curls.

32. Two handed Preacher Curls

Need I say more.

Put it this way, anyone using a Bicep machine with all those choices available, is missing the point big time :wink: .