Help - Full body workout or splits

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

blitz85
STARTING OUT

Help - Full body workout or splits

Post by blitz85 »

Hello,
I've been reading pros and cons of full body workouts versus splits on the net and wanted to get some advice on which is better for fat loss. I am working out 5 days a week - 3 in the gym and 2 running outside. I have tried full body 3X a week as well as splits thrice a week (day 1- chest/biceps/triceps , day2- hamstrings/glutes/quads, day 3- back/shoulders/abs). Definitely like the variation in a full body workout and in a split workout I often tire faster. However, I'm willing to work on splits if its more effective in fat loss.

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Help - Full body workout or splits

Post by Boss Man »

To me either or will do.

It's about a few basic things.

1. Good technique.

2. Not overloading with weight.

3. Not doing exercises that may cause skeletal problems like Wrist Curls, Behind The Neck Press, Lat Pulldowns behind the Neck, where you're stressing small joints or using unatural body movements.

4. Making sure your diet is okay. Eating right and with not too many or too few calories.

5. A moderate amount of weekly Cardio, like Intervals for example, 2-3 times a week, for around 30-40 minutes.

So personally I'd favour neither. It's just whatever you feel best doing, or is workable around other life commitments
scottgaran
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by scottgaran »

To me it really depends on how long you have been training. For someone new, I always suggest FBW's. It allows you to get the basics down, and the body to learn how everything works together. These should be the big compound movements not isolation moves. Good luck.
Scott
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Definitely TBT for beginners. It's pretty much the prescribed thing for adjusting to the Biomechanics of weightlifting in most cases, simply because even split stuff with a mild amounts of sets and weight, could be too much for a person who has never lifted before.