I am complicating workouts!

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

skully
REGULAR

I am complicating workouts!

Post by skully »

Here goes typical Amna, complicating her life.

I have recently met a trainer who specializes in powerlifting/olympic lifts. I have been working with her (not being trained yet) for a while cuz I couldn't afford one. She has been helping me out with deadlifts and squats, presses, clean and jerk...etc.

I would like to train with her once a week and it's usually 2 main exercises, aside from warm ups, and the like. It's always 1 lower body and one upper body.

current schedule is this:

Friday: MMA
Saturday: MMA
Sunday: Full Body workouts
Monday: Light day, yoga and/or walking
Tuesday: Upper body
Wednesday: (lower, but have been doing the above powerlifting).
Thursday: OFF

Do you think it's better I do the powerlifting on Sunday, and keep Tues/Wed upper/lower split with about 3-4sets with 6-12 rep range (to gain size and strength)? Would that affect muscle gains? I honestly see more of a muscle definition than before, even a bit of more size cuz of how I've been training, but am I over training? with schedule or it seems fine?
scottgaran
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: I am complicating workouts!

Post by scottgaran »

It looks OK to me the way things are set up. The potential is there for over training, so just watch yourself. If you start feeling your energy is dropping or start getting sick, I would cut out your full body workout day for a short while to recover. You are doing a lot with the lifting, and MMA.
Scott
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

So far I feel ok. I do tend to be sore at times from lifting, but body already got used to MMA workouts (been doing for 2 months now) which amazing. body adapts very fast! It's more cardio really, but there is a lot of strength and conditioning, just not to the point I get sore anymore.

I do get sore from weight training though. the FBW will be for powerlifting, and it's onlt 2 main exercises per/session, which warm ups and the like (i.e. jumpung rope, pushups,stretching, maybe pull ups w/bands) but the actual weight lifted is really only 2 exercises.

I have been doing this all while being unemployed for 3 months, lol. So i start work tomorrow and I will see how it goes I suppose, and if I still feel OK with current routine. I do give self 2 days light/OFF. hardly consider yoga or walking as exercise. I am natural brisk walker anyway.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Juggle it a bit so it looks like this.
skully wrote: Friday: MMA
Saturday: Full Body workouts
Sunday: Day off
Monday: MMA
Tuesday: Upper body
Wednesday: (lower, but have been doing the above powerlifting).
Thursday: OFF
That should hopefully avoid overtraining.

I think that would work better for you if you can do that.
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

cannot =(. MMA classes are only offered on Fri/Sat, not any other days of the week the one that I can go to (ladies only).