New here!

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Figure.09
STARTING OUT

New here!

Post by Figure.09 »

Hello all! Just joined the forums to get some advice from the pros.

First off, I'm 20 years old (female); 5'8" (3/4); currently weigh apprx. 165lbs. calorie intake per day is between 1,300 & 1,500. I workout 5 days a week for 1 hour to almost 2 hrs: lifting weights, resistance training, & running. I know you can't just shed the pounds any faster (while that is not main concern; I slim down rather quick). I'm just looking for advice on how I can improve routine & gain some muscle. As I plan on joining the Air Force & I really don't want to look like the grim reaper once I get out of basic; I've been told I'll look puny & I've been told I look smaller than actual weight so I need some muscle gaining advice.

Thanks!

P.S. I threw up today during workout, is that normal?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: New here!

Post by Boss Man »

I'd increase your calories. Go for around 2,100-2,200 initially. You need 1,800 as a sedentary female, so having some more for exercise will help. I'd eat around 6 times a day, with 2.5-3 hour meal spaces.

I would increase protein to around 0.8 per lb of bodyweight, which is at the lower end of the spectrum, but with your weight that means 132g per day, (528 calories). Once you've slimmed down a bit, with the aid of some more muscle, as a lb of muscle burns around another 45-50 calories, you'll be ready to increase Protein a bit more and get more muscle building potential.

This would leave you with around about 1,600 calories of Carbs and Fats per day, so splitting those in half, means 800 calories of Carbs, (200g) and 800 calories Fats, (90g approx), per day.

So you'd have an approximate intake of 22g Protein, 33g Carbs and 15g Fats per meal, over 6 meals as mentioned at the top of the post.

Questions.

1. What do you eat and what times do you eat?

2. What is your training history. I.E. worked out for a month, a year, that sort of history and what does your training look like now?

I ask that one, so I don't suggest things that might be a bit much, incase you're fairly new to all this.
Figure.09
STARTING OUT

Re: New here!

Post by Figure.09 »

Breakfast between 7:30-8am: Honey Bunches of Oat w/ Almonds (or Kashi). Sometimes an egg & cheese sandwich or just the egg.

Snack between 10:15-10:30: A granola bar; pineapples; or peanut-butter sandwich.

Lunch 12:30n: Egg & cheese sandwich or cereal.

Snack 3pm: Peanuts; banana; or peanut-butter sandwich.

Supper 6-7pm: Whatever dad decides to cook & it's usually not very healthy. (ex. cheeseburgers; hamburger helper; hotdogs)... Yuk! Yuk! And YUK!

And I'm very forgetful about eating snacks so they don't always make it in diet.
_

I used to run quite often during high school (not in track just in free time), this was for about 2-3 months. I went from 160lbs to 140lbs in that time frame & looked skinny, which I suppose is normal for someone w/ frame but I was told I was too skinny. I've never really continually worked out for one year, it's always off & on for a few months. This year I've gone for almost 6 months, but I didn't increase routine until recently. dad doesn't have a scale so I won't be able to weigh myself to see exactly where I'm at now.