hypothyriods and getting back to weight training

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

cobaltsunrise
STARTING OUT

hypothyriods and getting back to weight training

Post by cobaltsunrise »

Hi guys,

I have been part of shapefit for over 3 years.

recently I have discovered that I have developed hypothyroid and have started medication for it as well. I used to weight train 2 years back 6 days a week and had a fit body with a weight of 81 kgs with a height of 178 cms.

schedule then consisted of 20 walking , one body part followed by 20 mins cardio and cool down by doing long stretches. the saturday would be stamina training. i used to take regular whey , one scoop post work out, and usually protien dinner with whole grain bread or fresh Indian bread.

Now I am 93.5 kgs and want to get back into the game . I am 28 years old and would like advice and a work out schedule that would help me start a good warm up for muscles before I get back into weight lifting again.

The meds for condition have really helped me a lot, I used to feel sluggish and tired and now I dont anymore but the weight is stubborn and wont go at all, have been doing machine lifting ( alternate days upper and lower body) with 20 mins walk pre weight training and half an hour either on the cross trainer or bike. I am not a fan of the traedmill as knees hurt( I am guessing this is because of heavy weight).

I am big boned so i dont think I will ever fit into the regular height weight ratio.

any advice on what I should eat and how i should begin.

Thank you all in advance

Rudy
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: hypothyriods and getting back to weight training

Post by Boss Man »

I gave this to someone a short while back.

Get started with the basics on weights, so something like this.

Squats, 2 sets 8-10 reps.

Lunges, 2 sets 8-10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets 8-10 reps

Bench Press, 2 sets 8-10 reps

Bent Over Rows, 2 sets 8-10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets 8-10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

All of these can be done with Dumbells and Barbells and you do this kind of routine every other day.

Shrugs, smallest dumbells available.

Squats, Lunges and Bench Press can all be done with the next heaviest dumbells to those used on Shrugs.

Deadlifts and Bent Over Rows, smallest Barbell available.

After 3 weeks, increase dumbells and barbells by the smallest amount. Then you'll be ready for something more challenging after 6 weeks, when your body is adapted well.

Increase planks by 5 seconds a week, until you're managing 90 seconds at around week 13, of training.

Do your cardio as 30 minutes of interval as interval is less adaptive as steady state, so the effects shouldn't taper off. I'd start on level 1 or 2, then after 3 weeks go up another level, then on 6 weeks go up another level again and keep increasing the level every 3 weeks until you're on at least level 6. That shoudl be challenging enough by then.

So this kind of schedule would work.

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off.

This gives you some good rest but won't permit training more than 3 days straight.

As for your diet, what meals do you eat and what times do you eat?
cobaltsunrise
STARTING OUT

Post by cobaltsunrise »

Hi Boss man,

thanks for the schedule!

about meal timings

6:30 am- meds for thyroids.
7 am- Milk coffee( milk which has instant coffee added no sugar or sweetener ) , along with 11 almonds and two dried prunes.
anywhere between 930- 10 30 i have 4 egg white omelets with 4 whole grain/ brown bread sandwitch, no butter is added to it or avocado mashed with salt again 4 slices of bread as a sandwich.

between 1 :30 to 2 :30 lunch- usually veggies, lentils , Indian fresh bread (made from unrefined wheat) some curd.

3 45 a cup of coffee.

6 pm - egg white sandwich

8 pm dinner which is again lentils, veggies , Indian bread or rice sometimes with pickle and curd.

I will try the work out schedule, this week has been really hectic.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

cobaltsunrise wrote: 6:30 am- meds for thyroids.
7 am- Milk coffee( milk which has instant coffee added no sugar or sweetener ) , along with 11 almonds and two dried prunes.

(I'd increase your protein, with thigns like Eggs, Turkey, Ham, Chicken etc. Don't be too specific about the Almonds and prunes just have a few Prunes and around a 1/4 cup of Almonds)

anywhere between 930- 10 30 i have 4 egg white omelets with 4 whole grain/ brown bread sandwitch, no butter is added to it or avocado mashed with salt again 4 slices of bread as a sandwich.

(Fine)

between 1 :30 to 2 :30 lunch- usually veggies, lentils , Indian fresh bread (made from unrefined wheat) some curd.

(Fine)

3 45 a cup of coffee.

(Have something to eat at 3:45 like a Sandwich, or Chicken and a Carb source or some Low Fat Cheese as examples.)

6 pm - egg white sandwich

(Fine)

8 pm dinner which is again lentils, veggies , Indian bread or rice sometimes with pickle and curd.

(Good but I'd avoid the pickle as it can be quite greasy and might be a bit too salty as well.)
cobaltsunrise
STARTING OUT

Post by cobaltsunrise »

I will try and change the coffee at 3 45 but it would be tough as i need an hour befoire i can hit the gym, i finish work at 3 30 and the head home and run to the gym.
gym isnt too big so i try and get there as early as I can because by 4 30 -5 pm the mom n college crowd gets get in and the cardio machines get occupied , and by 6 - 6 30 the office crowd get in which almost makes it impossible to finish work out as the club sets 12 min limits to cardio machine.
cobaltsunrise
STARTING OUT

Post by cobaltsunrise »

i will start with your program this coming monday.

have been told that I have avoid meat as much as possible and I am allowed meat only alternate days.

would you suggest chicken and veggies for dinner and steamed sprouts on the other day and cut carbs out post 6.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The Chicken is fine. If you have meat restrictions, as per doctors requirements, then choose other things like Peas, Beans, Mushrooms, Rice and Lentils for your Protein, when needed and other non-meat Protein based sources I listed as well.
cobaltsunrise
STARTING OUT

Post by cobaltsunrise »

in your work out schedule you have included planks, what are planks and what does one do in it ?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Planks come in two variations.

The first one involves ballancing on your lower Legs and Forearms, so you look a bit like a table, with your back straight.

The principle being you stimulate th Abs simply by Gravity and the tolerances placed on the Abs by things like the back muscles, Spine and remaining surrounding body composition.

The second way is a harder way which is to balance on the toes, but still using the forearms for stability, maintaining a stright back. This should increase the intensity placed on the abs.

You should in both instances, start to feel a slight shaking sensation in the Abs, around about the 20-30 second mark.

Hopefully that explains things :).
cobaltsunrise
STARTING OUT

Post by cobaltsunrise »

Hi Bossman,

Yep i think i kind off got it.

I wana take one day off only for rest and use the above program for 6 days a week rather then 5. exercise makes me happy and stresses me a lot.

would that be okay or do you want me to start on some other variation ?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I woul still keep things as I suggested. Doing that extra day might seem good, but if you end up going stale / overtraining, you'll regret it if you end up potentially having lethargy and sleep problems for one.

Sometimes less is more as they say. To me you'll be better off with the rest days on the 4th and 7th day as listed. You need your body to last you a long time, so pushing it too much can be detrimental.