What is a considered a new workout program?

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Endless1
SOCIAL CLIMBER

What is a considered a new workout program?

Post by Endless1 »

Hello again. I was wondering was is the definition of a new workout. I heard that you should change your program about every 6 - 12 weeks. But is that all new exercises or just new rep ranges or adding drop sets or a combination of those?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: What is a considered a new workout program?

Post by Boss Man »

It can be a combination of things.

1. New exercises.

2. Change of rep ranges.

3. Switching from a TBT system to splits and vice versa, or stuff like olympic lifts, powerlifting or strongman type stuff etc.

4. Changing your cardio in some way.

5. A combination of some of the above.

Some say you should change every 3-6 weeks, to keep things fresh and stop the body adapting, but to me a good workout only stops working when you plateau and even then with changes to your diet it might still work anyway, as many have issues with bulking that are diet related and target the training as a reason for stalled progress, when it's not the cause.

I'd favour a change in diet firstly and then change training if the diet hasn't yielded more progress.

You'll workout what's best for you.

Good luck :).
Endless1
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: What is a considered a new workout program?

Post by Endless1 »

Ok thanks alot. Well usually everytime I hit the gym I can still manage to squeeze out atleast one or two more reps then I managed the week before until I get to 3 sets of 8 reps then I bump the weight up again. It's a slow process but it all adds up when you look at what you were maxing out with the month before. So I guess I'll keep on this program till I hit that nasty plateu like you said. I've also been changing up some exercises as I go along. LPD to pull up, cable row to bent over row. I find the Diet pretty difficult here, I have no idea where to get whole grains into diet. There is no brown bread(not much bread at all really) no brown rice its all white but its not the same as north america either its some sort of glutin rice I think so much more sticky. On the upside I eat kimchi like everyday thats suppose to be rather healthy I think.