Post Half Marathon Training

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

AdamK
STARTING OUT

Post Half Marathon Training

Post by AdamK »

Hello,

I just ran first half marathon last week at 9:22 minutes/mile. I trained 3 days a week including one long run a week. This schedule worked really well for me because I'm quite busy and this schedule is very flexible.

Now I'm looking for another challenge for the Winter. I'm looking for a full body training program to get me through March. 3 or 4 days a week preferably, and I'd like the end of the program to be an accomplishment, similar to end of half marathon training, you run a half marathon.

I'd like to avoid weights (i have various dumbbells at home) and avoid gym memberships. I'm open to video programs such as P90 or Insanity, but I'm unfamiliar with those and they sound like 6 days a week, and maybe a little more vigorous than what I'm looking for. A toned down version of insanity would be good. I'm not sure how I would feel about just partially doing insanity because I usually need a very regimented program.

I'm just trying to stay fit through the winter and maintain some sort of steady activity as I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle otherwise. Maintaining weight is goal, but toning up and losing some of softness as a side effect is welcomed!

Once it starts getting warmer outside, I plan to start training for a mountain biking race.

I eat a low fat diet throughout the week, healthy cereal for breakfast, turkey on wheat for lunch with fruit, and usually lean meat, veggies, and bread for dinner. On the weekends I'm a little more lax with diet, not going overboard, but allowing more sweets if I happen to crave them.

Thanks!

Adam
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Post Half Marathon Training

Post by Boss Man »

What's the objection to using weights?

You could do that 3 days a week and Cardio 3 days a week in your situation and then get a bit more strength conditioning for the Mountain Bike race, by sticking to the regime beyond the time period you're talking about and making it a 52 weeks of the year kind of situation :).