Need a plan

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

bagdranger
STARTING OUT

Need a plan

Post by bagdranger »

Hello. I am a 39 yo and weigh 200lbs. I do not work out or excercise at all. I eat junk foods and smoke and only drink soda. I am very unhappy with diet lifestyle and would like to change it. I am going to be deployed in a month and would like to use that time to recondition body and eating habits. I would like to come home with 6 pack abs and some upper body muscle. Not worried about legs but also dont want to look missbalanced. I would like to know what I should do in the up coming month to prepare myself, what suppliments and other things I should take? What is good to eat and what to stay away from. Where to go on here to find a workout program that would help me attain goal. Im not sure of the facilities that will be available to me when I get wherever they send me. Thanks!!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Need a plan

Post by Boss Man »

What do you eat and what times do you eat?

As for supplements, you don't really need any, but you could use something like a Vit C supplement. Start off with a 500mg one 1-2 times a day and if needs be progress to a 1g one 1-2 times a day.

If it's a bit harsh try buffered, as apparently buffered can be a little easier on some people, who might have a slight issue with normal C supplements.

However this is not necessarily something you need to take.

Workouts wise I'd say you should be looking at bodyweighted stuff.

So something like this will help.

1. Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

2. Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

3. Good Mornings, 2 sets, 10 reps

4. Bent over rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

5. Push-ups, 2 sets, 10 reps

6. Shoulder Presses, 2 sets, 10 reps

7. Planks.

All done 2 times a week every other day.

If the Push-ups are a bit tough, do them on your Knees to begin with.
bagdranger
STARTING OUT

Post by bagdranger »

Im not normally a breakfast person. lunch is either fast food or a homemade sangwich at about noon, ham and cheese with mustard mayo and a pickle slice. dinner is baked chicken or pork chops a veggie side and a flavored rice or noodle at about 530. after dinner i tend to snack on junk crackers, popcorn or small candys. plan is to be ready to quit smoking by the time i leave. quit date is xmas. I am planning on changing eating habits as soon as possible. I actually just went to the store and bought some granola cereal for breakfast and veggi sticks and watermelon to snack on. What types of meals should I be eating? Ive read a lot of people eat chicken quit often. How should it be prepared and how much? I tend to eat til I feel stuffed. Thanks again for the plan.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

This is something I've posted a few times before, which might work for you.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal + 1 rasher grilled Bacon and scrambled Eggs, (Fat trimmed off the Bacon, 2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protain shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrot.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with Peas + mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Mushroom with Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You should be aiming for around 2,500 calories initially, but could increase a bit at a later stage.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper. Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.
bagdranger
STARTING OUT

Post by bagdranger »

Thank you. Pretty much what I was looking for. What would a time line look like for meals and snacks? I mean like the time between breakfast and the snack and lunch and snack and dinner and snack? Also where should I do workout in the time frame? Thanks for your help and I know that I can do this!!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Keep meals to around 2.5-3 hours apart.

Yes fit a workout in the timeline where possible. No training on empty though; add the workout in after at least the first meal and before the last, so even then you'd have something to eat to help aid recovery from the workout.