Will Diet and Workout work?

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

andrewwellsy
STARTING OUT

Will Diet and Workout work?

Post by andrewwellsy »

Everyone says a different thing about what you should do to build muscle.

workout routine

Wake up

Eat a banana and bowl of bran flakes with milk and fruit juice.

do 5 sets of (until I can't go anymore)
-slow press ups
-slow sit ups
-slow squats

I changed it to

Wake up
Eat banana / fruit juice
workout
eat bran flakes and banana/grapes

What should I eat for the rest of the day?

I want to exercise whole body with this workout.
The problem is I have heard you have to change what you eat, the exercises you do every now and then because if you do the same ones they are not effective anymore
I have been told press ups do nothing - I used to do press ups sit ups and squats every day - was told this was bad as well and should only do each muscle group once or twice a week.

What should I eat before and after a workout (I do it when I get up so I want to avoid eating like an hour before and just eat straight before) to build muscles and keep myself feeling energetic? (after workouts in the past i have not eaten any different to usual and felt very tired for the rest of the day, I want to feel normal)
and are there better exercises I should do?
and how often should I do each per week?

and how should jogging come into this? Should I jog regularly? How regularly? (I want to train for parkour)

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Will Diet and Workout work?

Post by Boss Man »

What meals do you currently eat and what times do you eat?

You have outlined one meal, but telling us the rest of your meals and times, will give us more insight in to what does or doesn't need changing :).
frednick
STARTING OUT

Post by frednick »

Andrew what are your workout goals? Is it to build bigger muscle, improve cardio vascular fitness, or other goals. Is the workout that you showed all that you do? I might suggest that you consider some combination of speed and strength. If you can only workout in the morning try something that can get your heart going and build strength as well. Think about short rest in between your sets. As to your diet questions would need some more information as to what goes on the rest of your day. Just a thought. Everyone is different with different wants and needs and different body types and metabolisms. Whatever the case you can usually find something that works for you. Good luck
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

Your post workout meal needs to have more protein in it. You have a 1 hour window after exercising in which your body will uptake carbs to replenish muscle glycogen. Adequate carbohydrates and protein during this time will speed recovery and help build muscle.

Slow workouts are fine, but to get the most out of your workouts you need to change it up often. Try adding an explosive movement immediately following the squats such as a broad jump, leap or box jump. Plyo push-ups after dips. You also need to add some pulling motions (pull-ups, dumbbell rows). On different workouts vary the speed of movement, the pace, the resistance and the exercise itself. Pick 8 exercises that work your entire body, do them in a fast circuit (whatever you can do in 30-40 secs), rest 2 minutes and repeat for a total of 3 sets. Do this resistance training 3 times a week on alternate days run 3/4 speed sprints.
Last edited by ultimatehlth on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Many people change up often 'tis true. Some do it weekly or fortnightly, some give it up to 6 weeks.

The one thing to be mindful of is diet. I know from experience and many others do too, that stalling on progress cannot be solved very easily, flitting from one workout to the next, still getting nowhere, if you're eating just enough to maintain size.

If you change diet first in that instance and stick with the workout you do, you can isolate something that causes the stall, because the change will either work or not work, so either way you'll get the answer to the question "what caused me to stall?". Change both things and you won't know what worked, if indeed the changes work and possibly instigate one change that is either

A: Not necessary

B: Counterproductive to the other change.

I personally believe in if it aint broke don't it. Unless you feel like changing a workout because it's getting boring, then stick with what works and if it stops working as much, check diet first to make sure it's not workout. If diet changes yield much lower progress than before, then change the workout.

I never liked changing workouts, because it required getting used to a new workout, consulting workout sheets, umming and ahhing and taking over an hour the night before to devise a new workout, whereas the old one is known pretty much off by heart, in terms of exercises, reps, sets and weight used, so you just get in and do it.

It's also no fun when you accidentlally leave workout sheets in your sweats and after a wash, you end up with tonnes of shredded bits you have to fish out of your pocket :o.