Is this effective?

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

blueeyes44
STARTING OUT

Is this effective?

Post by blueeyes44 »

I recently saw a trainer in area and this is what I got setup with and wanted another opinion just to be sure....

Four Days a week:

Squats 15lb in each hand x24
Lunges 15lb in each hand x12 per side
Push ups x24
bicycle crunches x100
crunches x100
preacher curl 60lb x12
seated pulley rows 40lb x12 per side
overhead shoulder press 20lb per hand x12
bent rows 30lbs x12 per side
dips 18lb bar on lap x24
*I do this twice*

Then a few miles on either the treadmill or bike.

I am aiming to loose weight but also to get strength up.

Any input would be very appreciated :)
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: Is this effective?

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Hi, I don't know if that is effective blue eyes because i am not good at this myself yet. But hopefully boss (the moderator) will see it and post. He usually posts in the late afternoon to evening. Otherwise other members might post too! Good luck though! :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

blueeyes44 wrote:
Four Days a week:

Squats 15lb in each hand x24
Lunges 15lb in each hand x12 per side
Push ups x24
bicycle crunches x100
crunches x100
preacher curl 60lb x12
seated pulley rows 40lb x12 per side
overhead shoulder press 20lb per hand x12
bent rows 30lbs x12 per side
dips 18lb bar on lap x24
*I do this twice*
That workout looks rubbish to be honest.

100 Bicycle crunches, followed by 100 Crunches? effectively 400 Crunches a session and potentially some indirect Abs work from the Squats and Lunges.

Also TBT is not reccomendable to novices beyond 3 sessions a week, so 4 is too much and won't promote good muscle recovery, because then you're going to have to do the same thing at least 2 days in a row.

24 squats per set and 12 Lunges per set? You could end up potentially Quad dominant and get some issues regards walking and posture, because somewhere down the line, if you tried ot increase the weight on those exercises you would stimulate a greater growth potential on one muscle group, as opposed to the other.

Two Row exercises seperated by a Shoulder exercise and a Bicep Exercise before a Back exercise, not after.

Try this instead.

Dumbell Squats, 2 sets 10 reps

Dumbell Lunges, 2 sets 10 reps

Barbell Deadlifts, 2 sets 10 reps

Dumbell Bench Press, 2 sets 10 reps

Bent over Barbell Rows, 2 sets 10 reps (Done after the Chest, as Back muscles help stabilise Chest work, so it's better to fatigue them after, not before.

Dumbell Shrugs, 2 sets 10 reps (Small muscles worked after big ones, as small ones often help to stabilise or assist the movement of bigger ones, so fatiguing them before bigger lifts may hinder the bigger lifts.

Planks 30 seconds.

With Dumbells, use the smallest available on small muscles and the next ones up on big muscles. With Barbells use the second smallest one, as you're using them on big muscles only, so no need to go for the absolute lightest, so assuming the smallest was a 5kg, (11lb) one, then the next would be a 10kg, (22lb) one.

Also, remember on Shrugs to go straight up and down, don't rotate, as it could lead to Rotator Cuff problems. The Rotator Cuff being the group of 4 muscles, connected to your Ball and Socket Joint.

See how something like that works :).
blueeyes44
STARTING OUT

Post by blueeyes44 »

Thanks so much boss! What a wealth of information ;) thanks again ill start with that one immediately!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

GOOD LUCK and do keep us posted.