Need Some Workout Plans for the Wife and I

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Secords
STARTING OUT

Need Some Workout Plans for the Wife and I

Post by Secords »

Hi Everyone! Long time troll, first time poster so I'm hoping this goes well. I'll do what I can to fill in if you need more info, just ask!
wife and I just decided to get fit this year so we signed up for the Gym. We are currently going every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday of every week for about 1 hour each day.

We both have different goals for going to the gym so I'll give more insight to what we're looking for.

Myself:

:
Weight: 170lbs

I currently work outside at a construction company so I'm outside all day and constantly moving, lifting and contorting body in different positions.

goal is to weight 205 and have lots of upper body strength.

wife is:
: Female
Weight: 160lbs

She works inside at a desk all day and her goal is to weight 120-130lbs

I'm going on a high protein diet currently, lots of frozen chicken breast, tuna, whey, ect.

She needs some more info on what she should be eating.

We arent trying to be SUPER strict on everything, I'd still like to eat some pizza and a burger every once in a while but I am willing to accept some changes to get the results desired.

If you need any more info, please let me know and I'll get back to you ASAP!

Thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Need Some Workout Plans for the Wife and I

Post by Boss Man »

What do you eat and what times do you eat?

Post the same info regarding your wife

Secords
STARTING OUT

Post by Secords »

We just recently started changing our diets. So I dont have it totally down pat yet but I've started protein loading to recover from workouts quicker

I usually eat 4-6 times per day and small meals and she is starting to do the same.

We are transitioning into this sort of diet so going from 3 meals a day to 6 smaller ones is hard do but I think we are getting there.

We are headed to the grocery store today so any advice on things we should buy while there would be great.

We are currently buying frozen chicken breast, ground beef, eggs, tuna, cottage cheese. All the things that have good amounts of protein and then we are looking up recipies for these items and finding things we can cook and eat for lunches at work and dinner at home.

Basically we're looking for any type of plan so we can set a routine as we do so well with routines.

Thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Sample of a days eating.

Breakfast

(Eggs On Toast and a glass of Juice)

Snack

(Cottage Cheese + Tomato; slightly smaller portion for her)

Lunch

(Large Ham Sandwich; trimmings for you, none for her)

Snack

(Chopped Chicken salad, with about 25% more Chicken for you than her)

Dinner

(Beef Stir-fry)

Snack

(Small portion of Beans and Rice)

Some of the meals have been adapted slightly to suit your Wife's lower caloric needs, where indicated, so she would be eating in one day, around 10%-20% less than you.

You could be aiming for around 2,400-2,600 a day as a ballpark.
Secords
STARTING OUT

Post by Secords »

Thanks for the info Boss Man!

What about a workout regime?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Did you not get anything off an instructor?
Secords
STARTING OUT

Post by Secords »

I dont have an instructor. We just joined one of the cheaper gyms that medical insurance pays for basically.

We started off just figuring out what we were doing and now I want to go full fledged into the whole fitness aspect of life.

I just want to be bigger, stronger, faster, more fit and less lazy and I'm willing to sacrifice some things to get where I want to be.

Ultimately I'd like to try some amateur boxing in the near future.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

This is one I usually post for people to get started, so it should work for you as well.

Basic total body stuff 3 times a week.

Squats, 2 sets 10 reps.

Lunges, 2 sets 10 reps.

Deadlifts, 2 sets 10 reps.

Dumbell Bench Press, 2 sets 10 reps.

Bent over Dumbell Rows, 2 sets 10 reps.

Dumbell Shrugs, 2 sets 10 reps.

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do this every other day, 3 times a week for around 4-6 weeks, to adjust to the biomechanics of weightlifting.

In your Wife's case, go as light as possible on everything to start with, but on big muscle groups double what is used, as she'll be able to take that little bit more on bigger muscles.

In the case of you, whatever she uses weight wise, you could go up a little from there and use the next dumbells and barbells up from hers and the next plate down on the machines and start with a little more, because you'll have slightly better base strength levels.

Hopefully all that makes sense.

The only other thing with dumbell or barbell exercises, is whether one of you goes first, or you do those exercises in tandem. Tandem gets things done a bit quicker, but alternating allows monitoring of technique and more ability for one person to motivate the other, when they are not concentrating on their stuff at the same time, but it will make workouts a bit slower.

On machines you'll have no choice but to alternate.