New Here: New Plan?

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

TheBly
STARTING OUT

New Here: New Plan?

Post by TheBly »

I'm new to this forum, and I hope it signals a new beginning to me taking health seriously. I know this is a bit of a long post but I'd appreciate the feedback.

For the past couple months, I've began to take diet and exercise a bit more seriously. I've always been a little overweight entire life, with the only part of body that I dislike being stomach. I feel that biggest problem is diet. I've had previous attempts at fitness that failed either because I was so determined that I burnt myself out quick, or because it was an overly complicated plan and I couldn't keep consistency.

new plan is to try and keep things simple, and at the same time focus on consistency. Rather than kill myself everytime I'm at the gym, I push myself, but not so much that I hate being there and don't come back.

current goal:
Am 6' 210 lbs (BMI says that's 10 lbs overweight)
Want to be 180-190 lbs

current plan:
Go to gym, run 1 mile
Weight machines with focus on upper body
After lifting, stationary bike for minimum 15minutes

I can currently bench 2x10 150lbs, so I've got some muscle in there. But I've got low stamina (I average a 9min mile) and a bit of a gut. I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle.

Diet: It seems I always overeat. I enjoy food, mostly meat, dairy and grains. I've been staying away from fast food/delivery/sugars for the most part (aside from the occassional energy drink). I hate fruit, so I bought a blender and now consume about 20-30 strawberries, 5-6 bananas and a handful of either blueberries or raspberries a week. I've been trying to eat more veggies, but it's hard. I eat about 3 chicken breasts a week too.

I'll upload pictures later, but for now focus is on stomach, and tightening it up (I'm not looking for a 6pack or anything unrealistic). What am I doing right/wrong? Should I focus more on cardio?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: New Here: New Plan?

Post by Boss Man »

Ditch some of the machiens and also focus on lower body as well.

You can use some thing like Pec Deck and smith Machine, but definitely void things like a Bicep Msachine.

Start incorporating more free weights, so get an instructor to sort you out with a basic total body workout, like novices would get and then you're in a position in the coming weeks to step up the intensity a little bit with the weight.

As for the diet, stick to 6 meals a day around 2.5-3 hours apart to give your day some structure.

You have some simple options to help you with meals.

1. Have a protein source like Chicken, Turkey, Egg, Ham etc and a Carb source, like Fruit, Veggies, Grains etc.

2. You do the same thing, but incorporate something with a mix of Macronutrients in there, like Peas, Beans, Lentils, Mushrooms, Peanuts, Low Fat cheese, Rice etc, and remembering the Protein and Carb in them, reduce the amount of the Protein and the Carb source(s), to allow for that.

Fish is fine, but limit to 3x a week for Tuna as per current guidelines, or lower mercury Fish a bit more often, but don't go overboard on the serving size. Around 100g, (3.5OZ), a day for that should be fine.

I could have given you a preset eating system I used for other people, but I thought some general guidelines would work in this case.

So use the reccomended modifications for diet and workouts and see how you get on :).