How do i lose fat and gain overall body strength (and possibly abs)

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

wtfdude5000
STARTING OUT

How do i lose fat and gain overall body strength (and possibly abs)

Post by wtfdude5000 »

Hey guys!

So i've been going to the gym for maybe half a year or something, and i've seen some results on the body. But not really what i want as goal.
I used to weigh apx. 200 pounds, now im down to 165 pounds, but it's still not enough. I still have lots of fat on body and i might be around 23 or 22 BF.

Now goal is not really to get big or build crazy big muscles, i just want to lean out, get abs, really strong body, good balance and flexibility. Hopefully i can reach that goal before summer -16.
But now for the problem, i dont really know what to do in the gym anymore, i'm searching around the internet and many websites say many different thing, i dont know what to believe. I came across something called HIIT (High Intensity Interval Traning) which really caught interest, so i thought i might put that in traning routine, 3 times a week or something. But what about other days?, what should i do about them? that's where im lost. As you can see, goal is to get strong body, i can't even do pull ups now, and i want to be able to do it. So should i like, put strength traning in those days? (i plan to train 5 days and rest 2)

About the diet, i think i've got the hang of it, 40-20-40 i believe would be best right?

Im really grateful for your help :)

Thanks.
wtfdude5000
STARTING OUT

Re: How do i lose fat and gain overall body strength (and possibly abs)

Post by wtfdude5000 »

Thanks for the help guys.., really appreciate it
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Wtf, good to speak to you.

This would work for you.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench Press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

On bent over rows, use the lightest barbell you can find.

On deadlifts and squats and lunges use the second lightest barbell you can find.

On shrugs use the lightest dumbbells you can find.

Increase your weight a bit every 2 weeks and increase planks by 5 seconds per week, until you can handle 90-120 seconds.

When you add HIIT I suggest you mix it in with the weight in this kind of way.

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. HIIT

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. HIIT

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off
wtfdude5000
STARTING OUT

Post by wtfdude5000 »

Boss Man wrote:Hi Wtf, good to speak to you.

This would work for you.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench Press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

On bent over rows, use the lightest barbell you can find.

On deadlifts and squats and lunges use the second lightest barbell you can find.

On shrugs use the lightest dumbbells you can find.

Increase your weight a bit every 2 weeks and increase planks by 5 seconds per week, until you can handle 90-120 seconds.

When you add HIIT I suggest you mix it in with the weight in this kind of way.

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. HIIT

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. HIIT

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off

Hello Bossman!

Thank you for your reply, i see that this could actually work out but before i do, i REALLY appreciate it if you could answer these questions.

-What about ABS workout?

-Should i do all those exercise in the days you wrote weights or are they separeted for me to chose which day to perform them?

-Should i stick with the macro 40/20/40?

-Is cardio 2 days in a week really enough to lose fat? and how long should i hiit as a beginner in hiit?

Thats all, sorry if it's too much :P

Thank you again :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

wtfdude5000 wrote:Hello Bossman!

-What about ABS workout?

(That is in there, hence the planks and the indirect work from the deadlifts and squats and lunges)

-Should i do all those exercise in the days you wrote weights or are they separeted for me to chose which day to perform them?

(It would be beneficial to do it like that, so you don't replicate things on back to back days, as muscles do need adequate rest.)

-Should i stick with the macro 40/20/40?

(What do you mean by that macro? Do you mean 40% protein, 20% carbs and 40% fat, because if so that is fine and I would suggest no lower than 20% on carbs, but you could have a higher carb ratio if needs be.)

-Is cardio 2 days in a week really enough to lose fat? and how long should i hiit as a beginner in hiit?

(Yes it should be, because you're combining it with the increased fat burning potential that muscle building can provide)
Danny_Sparks
STARTING OUT

Post by Danny_Sparks »

Have you tried any home workout programs yet? Like Focus T25, which only takes 25 minutes a day to complete. Or there is P90X, which is great for getting ripped in a short amount of time. And then there is Insanity, also an insane program. For you I think I would advise doing the Insanity program. However all three are great options.