Gym after an injury

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

brokenhipster
STARTING OUT

Gym after an injury

Post by brokenhipster »

Hi I need some advice, 3 year ago I underwent a hip impingement surgery. Basically they snap hip in half and shave the bone and joints down.

Since then I've gained 3 extra stone and I'm up to 16st, I'm 6ft and feel ok but I've just joined local gym and would like to lose the fat I've accumulated. problem is I can't use the treadmill due to the impact on hip joint.

So I was hoping someone on here may have some hints tips or even a training programme I can follow while at the gym and while I'm on a healthy plan.....

Thank you in advance

Lee
brokenhipster
STARTING OUT

Re: Gym after an injury

Post by brokenhipster »

Forgot to mention I'm 34 and have an already active life while at work, kids that keep me busy but I'd like to follow a plan best I can as I'll be like a headless chicken walking around the place.

Thanks again
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Brokenhipster good to speak to you.

What sort of weight bearing exercises can you do and what sort of cardio can you do instead of the treadmill?
brokenhipster
STARTING OUT

Post by brokenhipster »

Hi thanks for the reply, I can do most types I would say, I think just the running on the treadmill would cause more impact on that area. I can jog or run over say a 30 yard area but jogging for say 10 15 mins on the TM would be too much.

I'm looking to lose weight ideally from stomach then I would hopefully be a bit more confident with the toning and muscles....

To be honest I've been in a gym before but the 3 or 4 times I've been in all I've done is X TRAINER, BIKE, ROWING MACHINE, X TRAINER again for say 10 mins each as I have no clue of plans ect

Any help would be great thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I would firstly suggest a recumbent exercise bike as part of your cardio regime, as you don't load bear on the legs that much, because you're upper body weight is being supported by the seat and not your lower body, but can you use weights at all, or have you been advised against any types of load bearing exercise?
brokenhipster
STARTING OUT

Post by brokenhipster »

No no advisory at all. I can do weights but wanted to stick to losing the fat more than gaining muscle if you know what I mean
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

In that case then this should work for you.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks, 30 - 45 seconds

You increase the planks by 5 seconds a week until you can do around 90 seconds

You do this 3 times a week every other day

Use the third smallest dumbbells on squats, lunges, Deadlifts and bent over rows and the second smallest ones on the other stuff except planks, then increase your weight every 1-2 weeks, until you're going to about 95% of failure for reps, then increase your weight based on how much stronger you get, beyond the acclimatisation period.
brokenhipster
STARTING OUT

Post by brokenhipster »

Thanks for this it's much appreciated