New to gym need a fast workout

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

arollinson
STARTING OUT

New to gym need a fast workout

Post by arollinson »

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to gym I'm looking to lose weight and tone up, I only get about 45 mins in gym as I go before work! So has anyone got a routine I could do to lose weight tone up? I go 5 times a week
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: New to gym need a fast workout

Post by Boss Man »

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench Press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

This is how your schedule could look per week

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.

On the squats and bench press, use the third smallest dumbbells. Deadlifts, second smallest barbell. Bent over rows, smallest barbell, Lunges third smallest dumbbell and shrugs, second smallest dumbbell.

That should be doable in your time frame and then add a little more weight to things every 1-2 weeks and 5 seconds to planks every week, until you can do 90 seconds.
arollinson
STARTING OUT

Post by arollinson »

Perfect cheers boss man!
AlexisW
STARTING OUT

Post by AlexisW »

Workout A

1A Leg Press (feet wide) 3 x 12 rest 40 Sec then do 1B
1B Seated Row 3 x 10 rest 60 Sec then do 1A

2A Back Extensions (focus on squeezing your bum) 3 x 10 rest 40 sec then do 2B
2B Flat DB Chest Press 3 x 12 rest 60 sec then do 2A

3 Plank 3 x 40-60 Sec rest 60 sec

Workout B
1A Leg Press (feet narrow) 3 x 12 rest 40 Sec then do 1B
1B Seated Shoulder Press 3 x 12 rest 60 Sec then do 1A

2A Lying Hamstring Curls 3 x 10 rest 40 Sec then do 2B
2B Neutral grip (palms facing each other) - Lateral Pulldowns 3 x 12 rest 60 sec then do 2A

3 Side Plank 3 x 20-40 sec per side rest 60 sec

Week 1 example

Mon - Workout A

Tuesday - Cardio

Wednesday - Workout B

Thursday - Off

Friday - Workout A

Sat - Walk

Sun - Off

Week 2

Mon - Workout B

etc

Feel free to add intervals or cardio on the days off

@AlexisW
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Sincerely no offense friend :), but looking at all that, but you're getting someone who seems to be a newbie to do 9 sets of 12 on leg press each week and one workout includes leg press and hamstring curls, which to me looks like too much favouring for the hamstrings over quads and the 9 sets on some muscle groups per week looks a bit too much for a newbie.

It also looks like with the pull downs and rows, you've got 9 sets of lat work per week and because you're alternating the frequency of workout A and B each week, you're getting more chest press work on one week than the other and certain things will be done more one week than the other, so it looks a bit inconsistent, as there does not appear to be a consistent frequency of load on some muscles week by week.

I'm not sure why someone would squeeze their bum on back extensions, unless you were trying to add some glute work in their, which I'm not sure would work too well, because of the fact someone would be sitting down causing potential restriction of the muscle area, as it is pressing against a seat.

The neutral grip on pulldowns assumes the individual can access a bar shaped like that with D shaped extensions on both ends and the slight change in emphasis on foot position in leg press confuses me as well.

As I say, not wishing to offend, just having a few minor concerns about that schedule, but if you can present a sensible reasoning for all those suggestions, then fair enough :).