Please help...

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Nekilik
STARTING OUT

Please help...

Post by Nekilik »

Hi, i need help, i have trying to muscle gain (mass gain) but stil no results!! Sorry for bad english.
Im 185cm tall and 70kg, so im skinny.
I started in Feb 2015, dips, pull ups, push ups.
First day: Push ups- 6 sets, 10 reps with some weight on back (10-20 kg), then dips the same as push ups, than i do dips with legs on chair (90° good for triceps), 6 sets too.
next day: I do pull ups, diferent variation (i can do about 7-8 reps) 15 seta in overall
next day i do legs, squats, cant remember details.
Ok, in November 2015 I decided to make some changes, i bought dumbells with about 60kg weight (discs). And started some diferent (because i have no any results and progess in workout!).
I have bought Whey Protein (in country, average salary is 220 euro, 1kg of whey cost 30 euro, so...) and improve diet as much i can! I have eat 6 times a day, meat, eggs, milk, cheese, bread, as much i can, mok think im sick because i eat too much :P).
I have increasing weight in workout, so this is how it looks like now!
1st day
6 sets dumbell press 8-10 reps, than dips after any set
6 sets dumbell flys than push ups after any set
4 sets push ups with weight
4 set dips
2nd day
5 sets biceps curls dumbell 8 reps
after any set i do triceps kickback 10 reps
5 sets biceps dumbell curl seated (hammer grip) 8-10 reps
after every set i do triceps extensions on bench barwell
than i do 3 sets push ups and 3 set dips with legs on chair, good for triceps
3rd day
shoulders
6 sets seated dumbell press, 10 reps
6 set flying dumbell 10 reps
5 set dumbell shurhs
4rd day
5 sets bent over row, 10 reps
5 sets one arm dumbell row, 10 reps
5 sets push ups
Results? NO RESULTS! Im the same is i was as i begun to workout, 1,5 years spent to no results!! 70kg before, 70 kg after
What to do, what i am doing wrong, do i need to increase exercises, more sets, more reps, anything??
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Please help...

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Nekilik, good to talk to you.

This workout system might work for you in the gym, by condensing things down a bit as it looks like you might be doing a bit too much especially all those sets of pull-ups.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench Press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

This is how your schedule could look per week

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.

On the squats and bench press, use the third smallest dumbbells. Deadlifts, second smallest barbell. Bent over rows, smallest barbell, Lunges third smallest dumbbell and shrugs, second smallest dumbbell.

You then add a little more weight to things every 1-2 weeks and 5 seconds to planks every week, until you can do 90 seconds.
Nekilik
STARTING OUT

Post by Nekilik »

Thank you for answer.
As i say, english is bad, so its hard for me to understand everything you said to me, but i think i have understood!
So, you said this workout ( workout that i doing NOW) is too much? And you said i do too many pull ups, i do only 7-8 sets of pull ups a week, i do push ups only when its arm workout (4 sets) and when is Back workout (4-5 sets).
So as you can see i have not doing any exercises for legs and back (deadlift), maybe i can insert deadlift and squat in workout plan and decrease some exercises? In your program i see too much workout for legs (e.g), problem is that i dont want to do them because i have injury in knee (from a years ago).
Next, i dont see any exercise for Shoulders ( i have very very bad shoulder muscles, chest and arms ar OK, but shoulders is bad) so i really dont see perspective in your program? :( I dont know... 2 sets of bench press? That is not even warming for me.
I have talked with some natural body builders and they said this. traingn have to be a minimum 45 min to 1 hour long, because im ectomorph and i have to do more than usually mesomorph have, and have to eat minimum 30% more of Carbohydrates, proteins, (calories). training is about 30-45 min long, 45 min when im doing arms in day 2, but i have 1 day rest between day 1 when i doing chest and day 2 when i doing arms, because that two is the most diffucult workout in workout week, shoulders and back are easy, i don even tired at all after that two and ther is not inflammation of muscle after that two.
Dont know what to do.. I have strong will, but its disheartening because there is not results in this workout. I have tried with only body weight, tried with weights, nothing. I dont know what im doing wrong.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The shoulder stuff in the workout is done with the shrugs, which you have been doing anyway.

You also say the leg stuff is too much, which it isn't, as you'd be doing 6 sets a week and 60 reps a week and in your original post you said you did squats anyway, so then you must be able to do leg work if you're already doing squats, so I don't know in what way your old knee problem would be causing an issue, but the lunges are there to stop you potentially becoming "quad dominant", as it's known, because if you are too strong in an area that has an opposite area that is not as strong, i.e. quads too strong compared to hamstrings, it could affect how you walk.

The weight levels I listed could be altered to make them heavier, as you have been lifting with weights since at least the back end of last year, but the plank suggestion should remain the same if you have never done them, to adjust to them and the squats and deadlifts should be fine for a bit of added stimulus to the core, so no need to overdo the abs, as you do need to rest them like any muscle group.

The possible issue with results could be doing too much volume, i.e having a day where you do 10 sets on biceps, then another day with a lot of rows, as rows target the biceps in a less taxing way to things like curls, but that is the same as doing press movements and lots of dips and pushups in a week, as press and pull-up and pushup movements can have a secondary effect on the biceps and triceps, so then including the dips for some direct work and the arms could be working too much in a week.

Your nutrition might be a bit too low as well based on the amount of work you're doing each week, meaning your body may have not enough ability to lose weight, but if you have lost a little bit of fat weight, you might have replaced it with a little bit of muscle weight, meaning your muscle to fat ratio would be better, but you would see little change in your body weight.
Nekilik
STARTING OUT

Post by Nekilik »

Ok, i think i understand you
So as you see i dont have exercises for abs, legs and back, because i really dont need abs, genetics are that i cant have it, i dont have fat but abs are like one square ant i dont think i can do much about it, to be honest, i dont want it much.
knee problem doesnt give me to do more than 2-3 sets of squads, it causing extreme muscle cramps and pain, so bye legs xD
I'm 19 (forgot to say), and i have some pics from past year and i think i visually have some changes in body, like a litle bit bigger chest and triceps, but that is just a bit, wight is the same..
Dont know what to do, i'll think about your advice, i decided to do some changes next month and see is there some progress, first i gonna decrease number of sets in workout, try to eat more carbonhydrates, insert deadlift in back day and decrease row to 4 sets and 4 sets of pull ups.. If there is no progress i will do exactly that you say..
Thank you
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No worries mate and GOOD LUCK with that.
Nekilik
STARTING OUT

Post by Nekilik »

OK, so i have educated myself past 3-4 days about workouts, and this is what i'm concluded!
Chest training is about 45 min-s, there is 6 sets of fly than immediately after every set i do dips, 6 set of press than immediately after every set i do, than 4 set of dips and 4 sets of push ups. So generaly this is about 32 Sets for Chest workout!! Its really too much! muscles cant restore after that much of stress, so today i did 4 sets of flies, 4 sets of press, than 4 sets of dips and 2 sets of push ups (with legs on chair, for upper chest), so generally that is about 14 sets for chest workout, maybe i gonna make plan where i do chest and triceps, or shoulders in one workout day, todays training lasted about 30 min (maybe less a bit) so i have space for 2 exercises with 3-4 sets of triceps maybe. Or just to do chest alone?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You can train chest and triceps together if you want, but if you want to train them separately you can.

Some people would do triceps and biceps together in a 5 days split, but some do chest and triceps in a 3 day split or a TBT system.