Cardio and weight training for weight loss?

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

j92008
STARTING OUT

Cardio and weight training for weight loss?

Post by j92008 »

Hi! I am just starting out and so glad to have this forum! I am a 38 year old female, trying to lose 25- 30 pounds. I have begun a clean eating program, but I am confused about workout.
I am doing 45 minutes of cardio everyday and weight training 3-4 times a week. Should I not be doing weight training until I am closer to goal weight? I am not really losing weight as I expected I would.
ultimate goal is not only to be "toned" but to be defined.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Jeannine[/i]
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

toned and defined is the same thing...

post your wts and cardio programs for a closer look...as well as what you eat on a daily basis
j92008
STARTING OUT

More info re: current program

Post by j92008 »

Told you I was new at this :oops: . Let me clarify. I want to lose weight (Primarily)and build muscle (beyond just being toned. Not bulky, but muscular)
So, with that said, here is an idea of workout and eating program:

Morning: 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup blueberries, 3 egg whites scrambled
snack: 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt w/ sliced banana
Lunch: Salad (spinich, carrot, radishes, water packed tuna) w/ balsamic vinegar.
Snack: apple and handful of almonds
Dinner: Baked Chicken Breast, steamed broccoli, 1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup berries

(of course water throughout-8-10 glasses and usually 2 cups herbal tea)

Current Workout Schedule:

7 Days: Cardio 45 minutes on treadmill at 4mph, incline 4

Mon: Legs- Squats , Leg Curls, Calf Raises 3 sets each
Biceps- Barbell Curls, 3 sets
Forearms- Wrist Curls, 3 sets
Abdominals- crunches 3 sets to failure

Wed: Chest- Bench Press, Dumbbell flys 3 sets each
Shoulders- Lateral Raises, Barbell shoulder press 3 sets each

Fri: Back- Lats Pull Downs, Bent-Over Rows, Deadlifts 3 sets each
Triceps- Bench Dips, Tricep Pulldowns 3 sets each

Thursdays: Hatha Yoga 1 hr.

Ok, I think I covered it all. Thanks in advance for your help
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- add solid protein source to lunch
- add solid protein source to afternoon snack
- no fruit with dinner
- add a protein shake after training
- cut cardio to 2 days and do intervals x 20min doing 30secs hard as you can then 90secs easy as you can
- move to a full body wts plan
- no need for these: calf raises, leg curls, wrist curls, crunches, flies, lateral raises or pushdowns
- try this:

session 1
supine bridge alternated with deadlifts
inverted rows alternated with bench press
face pulls alternated with shoulder presses
prone ab brace x time resting the same time you held for each time trying to equal

session 2
bird dogs alternated with squats
db rows alternated with db incline press
chin ups alternated with l lateral
side ab brace same as prone brace

rotate through these
trish_pt
STARTING OUT

NEWBIE TOO

Post by trish_pt »

Hey Swanso5 I loved how you answered the girl trying to bulk up so I was inspired to sign up for this forum in hopes that you may be able to help me out so............Applying for a desk position..I have just been hired as a personal trainer...now I know no exercises let alone how to do them besides through research..however do not know if I am doing them correctly...only being told what to do and not how to do them (from work) I was told to look for push and pull exercises...however I can only find push-ups or pull-ups/ or exercises that require machines..as a PT I cannot use machines..can you direct me to a good website that has and or explains variations of push/pull exercises?!!!

Left in the Dark
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

excuse me if i get this wrong but have you been hired as a personal trainer without knowing basic exercises??
ronaldace
STARTING OUT

Post by ronaldace »

swanso5 wrote:- add solid protein source to lunch
- add solid protein source to afternoon snack
- no fruit with dinner
- add a protein shake after training
- cut cardio to 2 days and do intervals x 20min doing 30secs hard as you can then 90secs easy as you can
- move to a full body wts plan
- no need for these: calf raises, leg curls, wrist curls, crunches, flies, lateral raises or pushdowns
- try this:

session 1
supine bridge alternated with deadlifts
inverted rows alternated with bench press
face pulls alternated with shoulder presses
prone ab brace x time resting the same time you held for each time trying to equal

session 2
bird dogs alternated with squats
db rows alternated with db incline press
chin ups alternated with l lateral
side ab brace same as prone brace

rotate through these
That is an awesome routine there Swanso... Thanks a lot.... I too am searching a way to increase body mass..
trish_pt
STARTING OUT

Post by trish_pt »

Yeah like I said I originally applied for the desk job...I do not know why they put me in this position..However..I have been learning a lot and I am very excited to have been given this opportunity..it's something that I could be really good at because I have the drive, willingness to learn and take on th challenges I know a few exercises...it's only the push pull thing that I am concerned about :)
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Are you certified in personal training? If not, excuse bluntness, but why would you accept a position in a field with little knowledge? I'm all for people asking for help and wanting to have opportunity, just a little puzzled I guess. Hope I didn't offend you.
DianaB
REGULAR

Re: Newbie

Post by DianaB »

trish_pt wrote:Yeah like I said I originally applied for the desk job...I do not know why they put me in this position..However..I have been learning a lot and I am very excited to have been given this opportunity..it's something that I could be really good at because I have the drive, willingness to learn and take on th challenges I know a few exercises...it's only the push pull thing that I am concerned about :)
You need to be concerned about more than that if you have no background in this field. The possibility of causing injury to someone, for example.
If you really want to be a PT, first get out of any gym that would hire someone without any knowledge of resistance training. Find a gym with experienced people and train there, and get certified. Take a St.John's ambulance course and learn CPR.
In the meantime, study exrx.net, extensively.
Oh yeah, being willing to learn is great, but you need someone to learn from. If these guys can't explain a simple agonist/antagonist movement, you'll not learn much from them, except how to charge people for nothing.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

this is very odd but to anwer your question...

push exercises can be diveded into 2 categories:

1 - upper body horizontal pushing - bench press variations
2 - upper body vertical pushing exercises - shoulder press variations

pull exercises can also be divided into 2 categories:

1 - upper body horizontal pulling - row variations
2 - upper body vertical pulling - chin / pull up /pulldown variations

simply doing 1 each of these will not be balanced though as both pushes and vertical pulling internally rotate the shoulder and only pulling externally rotates the shoulder so you need 1 hor pull exercise for every 1 hor push OR vert pull OR vert push

who hired you? like i said this is very odd.....

i have a lot of drive but i'll never be a millionaire....
trish_pt
STARTING OUT

not so puzzled anymore

Post by trish_pt »

Just to let everyone know I am not certified yet...however will not be training anyone until certified...I am going through training at the gym and then I will take certification within the next few months..I am learning more since I posted the first time...thank you everyone for your advice....thank you swan
trish_pt
STARTING OUT

Continued

Post by trish_pt »

PS I'm sure they know what they are doing...see the scenario goes down like this...They didn't hire me as a PT per se just as a trainee...the first couple of days they said go out and find all of the push/pull exercises you can find learn them then come in and demonstrate them..but I couldn't really find any or many I should say which is why I posted..but since then they have taught me more..I guess it was just the first couple of days
melati
STARTING OUT

Post by melati »

swanso5 wrote:excuse me if i get this wrong but have you been hired as a personal trainer without knowing basic exercises??
the way she describes it is exactly how personal trainers are hired in country. such a farce really... most of the fitness centres are taking their customers for a ride (I wonder if the poster is from country ;) )