been lifting 3 years have gained 27-32kgs (long reg.)

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

miller1089
SOCIAL CLIMBER

been lifting 3 years have gained 27-32kgs (long reg.)

Post by miller1089 »

right now this is reg. still gaining 3-4kgs a month on it, what do ya think?

LEGS
Quads
4x8-10 Squats
4x8-10 hack squat
3-4x8-12 s/m squat feet together in front ‘bout a foot
3x10 Leg extensions(slow)
Calves
4x15 Seated calf raise
3x12 donkey calf raise

CHEST
4x10 flat bench(holding feet up 45 degrees)
4x8 incline bench
3x12 dumbbell flyes
3x15 straight arm flyes or cable cross over
3x12 dumbbell pull-over

SHOULDERS
4x8-10 s/m behind the neck military press
Superset:3x10
Laterals from behind(the hip/torso)
Laterals from in front
Laterals from the side
Bent laterals
4x10 Upright row
4x15 Shrugs
Hams
3x15 2 legged lying leg curl
3x10 alternating leg curl

BACK
4 sets behind the neck pull ups, bodyweight-failure
4x10 db rows
4x12 cable rows
3x12 Hammer grip machine high row
2x12 high row on incline (for middle head of trap)
2x12 hyperextensions

ARMS
Triceps
4x8 Skull crushers w/ ez curl bar
4x8 Dumbbell overhead extension
3x12 tricep pressdown
Biceps
4x8-10 Preacher curl
4x1 hand Db preacher w/ supination
Reverse grip barbell 21’s
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i think you could get the same results with half the exercises, you double up on a few of them (3 squat variations etc) and the single joint exercises won't be doing much for you either
miller1089
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by miller1089 »

what do you mean what should i switch out
ps this changes nearly every week, this is just the basic fromat i follow
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

well taking day 1 for example you do 3 squat variations which are all training the same muscles and basic movement...your better off putting all your efforts into heavy back and / or front squats...leg extensions is one of the worse exercises ever, if not worse...sure they feel good but they aren't building you any muscle

i'm a big full body or lower / upper split man so i'm not into these bodybuilding programs
miller1089
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by miller1089 »

yea i do leg extensions very strctly holding for a count of 2 at the top of thwe contraction, i do go as heavy as i can for all lifts. i dont belive in "light days" because that sounds like a pms thing and it has no purpose in workout. always going heavy helps me grow 3-8 pounds a month. plus the s/m squats i do are with feet about a foot in front of the frame, and the hack squats are to the floor,; you cant do that with regular squats.
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

miller1089 wrote: i dont belive in "light days" because that sounds like a pms thing and it has no purpose in workout.
ROFLMAO I agree.

Although you can go to the grass with a regular squat. I do it every week, in fact, you have to if you do OL.
I also do leg extensions with the same contraction hold in new leg program. In fact, your program is very similar to what I'm doing now and it's working great, although you have a few extras that I don't need. I have to condense things a tiny bit because I have an training day devoted entirely to OL. Keep it up, and keep us informed.
db
miller1089
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by miller1089 »

for 1 thing ive tried going to the floor with a regular squat and i cant balance, and whats OL? the main reason i split workout so, is to totally butcher 1 muscle group @ a time, i ussualy cant walk after squat day, and im always pleased with that
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The best thing I ever heard about squatting.

"Just because you can go below 90 degrees, doesn't mean you should."
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Boss Man wrote:The best thing I ever heard about squatting.

"Just because you can go below 90 degrees, doesn't mean you should."
Huh???
Try and catch at technical snatch at 90 degrees. You'll bust your kneecaps in two.
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

miller1089 wrote:for 1 thing ive tried going to the floor with a regular squat and i cant balance, and whats OL? the main reason i split workout so, is to totally butcher 1 muscle group @ a time, i ussualy cant walk after squat day, and im always pleased with that
OL=olympic lifting.
I've been doing it for a few months now with a really great coach and it rocks. Getting ATHG in a squat requires flexibility and working on the fascia in your back. The fascia is a sheath that encloses your muscle tissue and it tends to tighten over time. Overhead squatting is one way to loosen it up. There are a lot of other ways, many of which I tried before taking up OL. 1 session of overhead squats pretty much cured that LOL.
Try a wider (not crazy wide, just beyond shoulder width) stance with your feet pointing out a bit. Depending on the length of your torso, the barbell should stay in line with the middle of your feet all the way down (longer torso and the bar may be a bit more forward).
Here's a good article on OL versus powerlifting squats. It also explains the 90 degree conundrum.
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1736931
I usually do half squats and full squats, depending on the current program. Since they are non-explosive, I use regular running shoes and don't have a balance issue.
Have fun!
db
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

DianaB wrote: Huh???
Try and catch at technical snatch at 90 degrees. You'll bust your kneecaps in two.
No I'm talking about Freebar stuff, when you're going through the reps. Too many people Squat too low on basic Squatting techniques. Yes for special types of lifts, like Snatch, Clean and Jerk etc etc, (which you might be referring to), or when your picking up and putting down Bars, there is a possible need to go below 90 degrees, but for someone doing Freebar or Smith Squats, there is no need to take the Knees past 90.
miller1089
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by miller1089 »

Ive never heard of doing squats past 90 degrees unless with a smith machine, which i do(feet together far forward).
Isnt OL just powerlifting but different lifts? youre aiming for a one rep max. thats as big as possible.
and i do, do squats feet just slightly outside of shoulder width, im 6' with long legs(34" inseem) i simply cant balance that low. but ive seen pictures of tom platz goin that low with a free bar
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- i'm assuming that's the article that says you need to line up the top of the knee with the top of the hip bone which will have you a little below parallel which is correct

- O Lifts are great and i wish i had someone to teach me properly as i can't see myself when i do them and i can't snatch for shit technique and flexibility wise

- you don't work up to 1rm's o liofts but rather work up to a "comfortable" PB

- if you can't get down that far than you need to work on your hip and ankle mobility
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

miller1089 wrote:Ive never heard of doing squats past 90 degrees unless with a smith machine, which i do(feet together far forward).
Well some do do that, and that's the problem. Past 90 risks the Patella Joint, and possibly the Patella Tendon too, and maybe the Cartilage.

I've read people making out on things like a Smith Squat, they go below 90 like it's a good thing, or it means they can do something some other guys can't. However being able to do it, is not sound.

90 is as far down as you need to go, on bog standard Smith or Freebar Squatting, remembering of course, when Knees are bent, you start from about 5-10 degrees anyway, so that should be the range of motion. Down to 90, not past.

Past 90 just risks the Knees. A bit like Flexing a Bicep with no weight, if you look at the Elbow Joint, it only goes about 90 degrees, even from locked out. The Knees however can go past 90, but that's not something beneficial for them.

You can also take stress off the Knees by using a 10-2 Foot position as well. I've done it with DB variations, and when I used to Smith Squat, and I noticed a positive difference.
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

miller1089 wrote:Ive never heard of doing squats past 90 degrees unless with a smith machine, which i do(feet together far forward).
Isnt OL just powerlifting but different lifts? youre aiming for a one rep max. thats as big as possible.
and i do, do squats feet just slightly outside of shoulder width, im 6' with long legs(34" inseem) i simply cant balance that low. but ive seen pictures of tom platz goin that low with a free bar
No, OL is explosive lifts, not like at all. It's all about speed and explosiveness.
You out due you 1RM in competition, but we don't really train for a 1RM.
It's likely just a mobility/flexibility issue that you can overcome. When I started OL, I used a piece of wood under heels to help keep balance in the low squats. And OL shoes have a wedge at the heel to assist in the lifts. But I use regular runners for non-explosive deep squats.