Waterbury Method

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

LukeMP
STARTING OUT

Waterbury Method

Post by LukeMP »

Hello all,

As the subject states i have a question about the waterbury method as it seems to be a favourite on here.. atleast from one person anyway :P

I would like to give it ago but i have a few problems. Firstly i do everything from home. I have adjustable dumbbells and plenty of weight.. well atleast for me. I can get each one up to 68lbs so thats 136lbs total which is far beyond me anyway. I also have a weight bench and a pull up bar.

main question is can anyone help me build a program that does not require a bar?

There are a couple of other questions i have come across as well.

From reading about the waterbury (http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=534922) i get a bit confused. Firstly he says A1/A2 consist of superset pairing, thats fine. But does that also stand true for B1/B2 or is that just a random naming scheme?

If anyone could help answer these questions it would be great.

edit:

diet plan and a similar question are also posted at http://shapefit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5282 (this is a more relevant forum for the program side of things i feel)

Many thanks,

Luke
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

just do all barbell exercises with dumbells

where it says a1/a2, b1/b2 etc thet are alternate pairings so you do all a's in alternating fashion before any b's, c's and so on
LukeMP
STARTING OUT

Post by LukeMP »

Thanks for the reply Swanso5!

I've decided to go for this program and see what i can achieve. Lets make sure i understand things and if possible help with some suggestions where i can change the exercise to a dumbbell alternative.

Day 1

10 x 3 Barbell back squats -- Can i just do dumbbell squats or is there a better alternative?

4 x 6 Dips followed straight by Dumbbell rows then rest 60 seconds and continue

4 x 6 Skull crushers and barbell curls (i do have an ez curl bar i can borrow, but dont think i can squat using it) can these both be done with an ez curl bar?

4 x 6 Hanging leg raises - Due to the nature of door frames and bar i can't keep legs entirely straight when hanging. Can i do leg raises by raising knees up to chest? I have seen videos where people keep their legs straight and raise them infront of their torso.

Day 2 - Fits in perfectly with work as we do short 27 min runs during lunch

Day 3

10 x 3 Dumbbell bench press - No probs here

4 x 6 Romanian deadlift (No problem) - Standing Barbell Military Press This i am not sure about. Can i do a seated dumbbell military press instead? Does anyone have a good suggestion for another exercise?

4 x 6 Calve raises (Do you use weights here or just body weight?) and again i dont know a good alternative to tricep press downs any help would be great.

Day 4,5,6,7 are all fine except.

On day 5 - A1 Decline Barbell or Dumbbell Bench Press - bench does not decline unfortunately.. Any alternatives or just go for normal bench press?

I have searched for alternatives myself before posting this but i'm quite confused as to what the best ones will be.

I'm looking forward to starting this program as soon as possible!

Regards,

Luke
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- if you have a swiss/exercise ball you can use this to get the legs out in front...db squats will do the trick though
- yes both can be done with an ez bar
- yes knee raises are good...if too easy then hold the top of each rep for 1 - 3secs
- try and get some sprints in those runs
- why can't you do stand shoulder press? no excuse i can think of here...
- use wt if needed for calf raises
- do close grip push ups instead of pushdowns...thhumbs touching if you can
- incline the bench if it does if not perch it up or dowen on some wt plates, books etc
LukeMP
STARTING OUT

Post by LukeMP »

Cool thanks for the reply!

Your first point i do have an exercise ball i assume this is related to the barbell back squats but i dont know how/what you mean here.

As far as the running goes, i seem to be doing 25-30 mins of quite fast running whilst at work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You suggest doing sprints, what exactly do you mean here? Just to sprint for a short while then jog aka intervals or do you mean just sprint for as long as i can and that is run?

Again thanks for all the help this is really going to help me towards goals!

Luke
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

forget what is aid and just do db squats

yep add sprints in as intervals
LukeMP
STARTING OUT

Post by LukeMP »

Excellent, I'll start this next week and let you guys know how i get on!

Thanks again for all the help,

Luke