program questions

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Guts
SOCIAL CLIMBER

program questions

Post by Guts »

Alright I haven't posted in awhile but I was doing the Waterbury method (did it for about 6 months) before but stopped. I started doing a woork out that consisted of this.

Day 1 (monday) Legs
Barbell back squats
Leg Presses
Leg curls
Standing and sitting calf raises

Did 4 sets for barbell back squats from 6-10 rep. others were 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Kept going up in weight each set which i do for all workouts.

Day 2 (back)

DeadLifts 4 sets - 6-10 reps

Wide grip pull ups until failure. (before i started lifting last year i could only do 4 pull ups now i can do 30!) did 3 sets not all 30 of course)

Lat Pull downs. 3 sets 8-12 reps

Dumbbell Rows 3 sets 8-12 sets.

Day 3-Shoulder/tricep

upright rows 3 sets 8-12 reps

Arnold press 3 sets 6-10 reps

Pull downs - 3 sets 8-12 reps

Tricep kick backs 3 sets 8-12 reps

Day 4 chest (what i want more than anything) I also based it mostly for upper chest since that's what i need the most have side and bottom but upper is lacking.

Barbell bench press 3 sets -6-10 reps

Incline flyes 3 sets 8-12 reps

Incline Dumbbell Press 3 sets 8-12 reps

Weighted Dips I put on 35 pound weight and do 3 sets of 10 reps

Day5 Bicep/forearms

Standing Barbell curl 3 sets 6-10 reps

Hammer Curl 3 sets 6-10 reps

Concentrated Curls 3 sets 8-12 reps

reverse curl 3 sets 8-12 reps

That's it. But I was thinking of switching back to Waterbury method but with a few changes to it. For some reason i don't feel as strong as i did while i was doing the waterbury method bench press isn't as much in weight as it was.
The changes i want to make is small but instead of decline flyes i want to do incline dumbbell bench press since i feel it more in chest when i do it Plus like i said before i need to work on upper chest and this is the reason i switched from the waterbury method because i didn't feel like it had enough exercises to help me get the chest i want. And for the pull ups i want to do wide grip ones and just do max for first set then other do about 3 and do less sets for it since I like knowing max and try to go higher.

Another thing its been awhile since i've done the waterbury method so gotta get refreshed on the method

Barbell Back Squats
Sets: 10
Reps: 3
Rest: 70 seconds

A1 Dips

A2 Bent-Over Barbell or Dumbbell Rows
Sets: 4
Reps: 6
Rest: 60 seconds (between exercise pairings)

Note: A1/A2 consists of a superset pairing

B1 Skull Crushers

B2 Standing Barbell Curls
Rest: 60 seconds

Hanging Leg Raises
Rest: 60 seconds between sets

When i do a1 and a2 after i do dips i wait 60 seconds then i do rows right?
and same for b1/b2? which seems to be same for day 3 and 5.

On a side note I am not where I want to be but im at a point where people are noticing a difference and that I lift so it helps me get motivated in the gym.

Sorry for the long post!
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- i dont know you moved to a bodypart split
- the WM is only meant for 4 weeks
- ýou don't feel as strong because you added in a lot of real shithouse exercises (tricep kickback and an bicep/forearm day??? ridiculous) and you only trained each movement/muscle once a week so stimulation was low and so was frequency
- more work on upper chest??? no no more work on deads and squats...
- those who are after a big chest are kidding themselves with chest focused programs
- instead of WM try Art of Waterbury
Guts
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Guts »

What are external rotations? I looked it up on line but keep seeing varied things of it all saying external rotations but completely different from one another.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

any of those will do...i'd go with the one's where you are standing with a db in your hand with your arm in the same position as it is when you do a bicep flex and then you let your hands rotate doen in front and lift it back up...there must have been one like that
Guts
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Guts »

yes, seen those...Also for the first day is it all 10 sets 3 reps? if so that would take WAY too long...for I only have an hour and that would be like an hour and a half...and does it want 70 seconds in between a1 and a2 or go from a1 into a2 then rest 70 seconds? the other way would make it take forever.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- yes 10 x 3
- no it doesn't take an extra 30mins, in fact it's quicker
- all the workout sshouldbe done easily within an hour if you stick to the rest it says
- yes a1, 70swecs rest, a2, 70secs rest...you can't lift heavy wt when you're tired
Guts
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Guts »

I followed the first day exactly and it was taking over an hour ... did the 70 sec rest sometimes only 60 and it just took too long.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

can cut the rest on the parinings but not the straight sets