What should I do? Help please

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kyliedeal18
STARTING OUT

What should I do? Help please

Post by kyliedeal18 »

Hey!

I need some help-

I workout 6 days a week stregth training-2 body parts a day 4 exercises per body part-people are telling me this is to much?
I don't know what to do, and I do cardio 6 days a week also about 30 min. because Im trying to get rid of this little I have and back fat. It's not a big amount but needs some work.

If you know of anything that could help please let me know.
Thanks so much!
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

I believe you are overdoing it.... perhaps some tweeking will get you some better results. Are you doing muscle group splits because of limited time or for other reasons?

Suggestion, If you enjoy the six days a week.....

Mon, Wed and Friday do a full body weights in a circuit style, (excercise to excercise to excercise 3x 10 rep weight load) 2 minute rest between circuits. Stretch.
For example:
squat, bench press, chin ups, sit row, shoulder press, leg raises

Tues, Thurs, and Saturday do "cardio". choose a machine ie elyptical...

1 minute warmup at 50 %
repeat 5x ...
1 minute hard as you can
2 minuts 50 %
5 minutes easy pace (about 40%)
12 minutes steady pace at about 50-60%
2 minute cool down
stretch

This is an examble and the cardio can be transfered to bike, treadmill, wave, running, swimming etc.

cheers

Also, what's your diet like?
kyliedeal18
STARTING OUT

Post by kyliedeal18 »

I'll give that a try- thanks
it's not the best but it's not terrible.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Sean786
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Sean786 »

Well, doing excessive workouts is not healthy. Your muscles need time to re-cooperate and build up. Not giving them time to do this will result in nothing at all.

If you are trying to lose fat, do something like vamp said. Do a lower/upper body strength training days 3 times a week like M, W, F and cardio on Tues, Thurs, Sat. The running will result in most weight-loss but wont really build up much leg muscle, thats where squats, deadlifts, lunges etc. come into play.

For the cardio you might want a steady rate that isnt too slow, but keeps you breathing steadily. Vamps example is a good idea for an eliptical.

Also, dont do much crunches. Crunches dont have much affect. Doing lower/upper body mix strength training will bring the abs with it.

Good luck!
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

"it's not the best but it's not terrible."

Raises his eyebrow in question and chucles to himself.
kyliedeal18
STARTING OUT

Post by kyliedeal18 »

can anybody else help in any way?
thank you.
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

You are over training right now, and you are probably so efficient at cardio it's not doing any good at all, and may even be aiding in cortisol production (it's a hormone, it helps to make you fat, to keep it simple).
What exercises are you doing in the resistance training department? I'll bet money that you are doing isolation with light weight.
None of this is helping you, lose fat, in fact it might be making you hold on to it!
Post your lifts, it's hard to make suggestions without knowing what you are doing exactly.
Christopheel
REGULAR

Post by Christopheel »

DianaB wrote:You are over training right now, and you are probably so efficient at cardio it's not doing any good at all, and may even be aiding in cortisol production (it's a hormone, it helps to make you fat, to keep it simple).
What exercises are you doing in the resistance training department? I'll bet money that you are doing isolation with light weight.
None of this is helping you, lose fat, in fact it might be making you hold on to it!
Post your lifts, it's hard to make suggestions without knowing what you are doing exactly.
True, gotta love your post,

Kylie, ask your question on what you're not sure off in Vamp's suggestion and I will answer you. Because it is the best option. Also read the sticky i diet section, because I'm SURE that you eat too little for fat lost, yes eating too little for fat lost.
kyliedeal18
STARTING OUT

Post by kyliedeal18 »

Well MONDAYS- chest- barbell bench press, incline bench dumbell press, incline dumbell fly then i do random abs then 30-45 min of cardio

TUESDAY-back- wide grip pulldowns, seated cable row, high rows & dumbbell rows the cardio 30-45 min

WEDNESDAY-shoulders-smith machine front deltoid presses,cable upright rows, barbell shrugs cardio 30-45 min

THURSDAY- abs & cardio
I do any random ab workouts about 5

FRIDAY-bis,tris-Barbell curls,cable preacher curls, incline barbell extensions,rope rushdowns. cardio

SATURDAY-legs,calves-barbell squats,dumbbell lunges, barbell stiff leg deadlifs, standing leg curls and barbbell calf raises
cardio about 20 min on leg days

When I workout I do light weight more reps because i've heard it tones alot better ???and for cardio i either do the stairmaster, run or the elliptical. Now can you help?
Thanks!!
Sean786
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Sean786 »

Hmm...Well in personal opinion, I find upper and lower body workouts mixed together to be much more challenging and efficient.

Also, doing cardio every single day will just get your body used to it quicker and wont result in any fat loss, so you might want to cut back on that. When doing cardio, as said before, do what vamp said. His plan was the best you could get. It may not seem like much, but the key to weight loss and muscle gain is to NOT OVER DO IT! Otherwise, if you dont have an eliptical for what vamp said, then do treadmill and a steady pace for like 30 mins on days you dont workout.

Also, more reps does tone better, but for fat loss you dont need tone yet. You need to do more weight so you max around 3-8 reps each set to gain the muscle first which will help by burning calories much faster then fat. Then once you get the muscles and burn off the fat you could go for more tone.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- far too much inefficicent and cortisol producing cardio...you're doing it everyday so you're always in a catabolic state...in english it's what D said above
- i'd rather you on a full body program as suggested
- for wts i'd opt for the waterbury method
- for cardio i'd go for 5min warm up, then alternates 3 cycles of 1min as hard as you can and 2mins at about 50% then 5mins at the easiest pace you can say 30% then do another 20mins at 50 - 60% to finish with...do this twice a aweek increasing the interval cycles by 1 each week and using various peices of equipment
- for food go to diet section and read "read before posting..." sticky thread
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Good luck Kylie and keep us posted on how you're doing!

Cheers
kyliedeal18
STARTING OUT

Post by kyliedeal18 »

Thank you guys for all your help!!