Feedback on Workout Program

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

How good is this workout?

Too Much Weights
No votes
Not Enough Weights
No votes
Good as-is
No votes
Too Much Cardio
No votes
Not Enough Cardio
No votes

Total votes: 0

jameswing
STARTING OUT

Feedback on Workout Program

Post by jameswing »

Hello, I'm 29 and just started working out a month ago after taking a 10 year break. I kept the first month kind-of easy to get back in the habit of going to the gym while i put a workout program together. This week I added exercises and wanted to get your thoughts on workout.

I started at 248lbs, with most of the fat in gut and love handles, legs are still pretty lean, but pecs, and arms are soft. I also had Rotator Cuff Surgery a year ago, and can't do anything that I need to put arm behind shoulder (Barbell Squats, behind the head Press). main goal is to get rid of the gut.

The first couple weeks were up and down as far as weight goes (I weigh myself at the same time every night) but for the last week or so when I started eating more smaller meals, and kept the last one earlier, I have dropped to 240. I use MyPersonalDiet and MySportTraining to track workouts as well as everything I eat. I try to have a net loss of 800 cal per day, and have been hitting it everyday for the last week.

Monday (Chest & Triceps)
Incline Press (Hammer Strength) 4-10
Tricep Curl (machine) 2-10
Crossover Fly 3-10
Tricep Kickback dumbbell 2-10
Rope Pushdown 2-10
Recumbent Bike (30min 125-140bpm) Watching SportsCenter

Tuesday (Back & Biceps)
V Pulldown 3-10
Straight arm Pulldown 3-10
Incline dumbbell Row 2-10
Alternating Hammer Curl (dumbbell) 3-10
Back Extension (Machine, weighted) 3-10
One Arm Dumbbell Row 3-10

Wednesday (Shoulders, Forearms, & Abs)
Twisting dumbbell Press 3-10
Palm-up Wrist curl 2-10
Shoulder Shrugs 4-10 (Alt up, Alt Forward, Alt Back, Both up)
Wrist Flips 2-10
Crunches (Machine, weighted) 3-10
Arm Adduction 2-10 Superset with Arm Abduction 2-10

Thursday (Legs)
Squat (Machine) 4-10
Leg Curl 3-10
Hip Adduction 2-10 Superset with Hip Abduction 2-10
Heal Raise 3-10

Friday & Saturday (Off)

Sunday
Recumbent Bike (90min 125-140bpm) Watching the First half of the early game

One last thing How long should I wait between sets? I have been waiting about 1min, bust have heard a lot of different things. When I was younger I would wait a long time, but had a couple hours to workout. Now I usually get whole workout (Including Cardio) in a hour.
Last edited by jameswing on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
HOUSTON TEXAN
REGULAR

Post by HOUSTON TEXAN »

Where is the "failure" option on the poll?
jameswing
STARTING OUT

Post by jameswing »

Why "Faliure"? What do you recommend changing?

I know it's not perfect that's why I put it here asking for input.

I know I'm missing Bench Press but I just switched it out this week for incline bench.
HOUSTON TEXAN
REGULAR

Post by HOUSTON TEXAN »

You have no deadlift variations. Also, you are using higher reps which are geared for people who already have a lot of strength, which I guarantee you don't yet. I'm not trying to be an I'm just giving advice.

Training - Waterbury Method by Chad Waterbury

Diet - Go to diet section read "read before posting" at the top.
jameswing
STARTING OUT

Post by jameswing »

I was going to add Deadlifts when I did the next rotation in a couple weeks. I went with 3x10 because when I was doing weights last I was taught High Reps of Low weight is for toning, while Low reps of High Weight was for Bulk. I'm trying to get tone, so that's what I went with.

Yes I agree I'm not nearly as strong as I was when I graduated high school 10 years ago.

I will look into the Waterbury Method.

I know Diet Needs work, and I'm working on it, but I work from 7am till 10:30pm except the hour or so I'm at the Gym 5 days a week, So it's kind of hard to stick to a strict diet, and on the weekend wife usually wants to go out. That Is why I'm at least watching what kinds of foods i'm eating, and total calories. I cut out fries almost 2 years ago, and could probably count on one hand the total that I have had in that time. Soda's are next, but are the way I stay alert during long day.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- i deadlift almost every cycle i do...they have a 5 yearc shelf life meaning you can do them continuously for 5 years and hardly ever stagnate...keep them in just change up the variation and sets/reps
- you can't tone...tone is low body fat and appreciable muscle mass...a mixture of heavy and medium type lidting is the best way to go
jameswing
STARTING OUT

Post by jameswing »

Thanks, I think I'm going to add deads, and Romanian deads next week. I'm also thinking of Maxing over the weekend, and possibly trying out the Waterbury method since everybody talks about it on here.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

you'll be gald you did