Turn - Critique Please

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

vamp
VETERAN

Turn - Critique Please

Post by vamp »

Okay I guess I've given alot in the past while so here's your turn for a little give back. This is a work out I'm thinking of trying in 2 weeks when I finish current program. It is a 4 set 8-10 rep circuit style program. ( current program is squats and no deads, this is an opposite.)

MON

Bench Press
Lat Pull-Down
Sit Row
Standing Overhead Barbell Press
Plank

TUES

Sumo Deadlift
Leg Extension
Bridge

WED

Swim Laps 30 minutes

THURS

DB Bench
Chin-Ups
Bent Row
Standing DB Military Press
Plank

FRI

Duck feet Deadlift
Leg Curl
Bridge

SAT

Elyptical
2 min. warm-up
1 min. hard
2 min. easy
(5 x)
5 min. very easy
15 min. steady moderate
5 min. rest period

Treadmill or Elyptical
30 min. steady paced Hard

Let me know what you think......

Cheers
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

not enough external rotation of the shoulder work...pulldowns do work the back but they target the lats which when tight pull your shoulders forward much like too many benches and shoulder press so looking back at your program you have 6 internal rotation exercises vs 2 external rotation exercises...in this case:

1 - db chest supported row, bench, face pull, plank
2 - bridge (do first to activate glutes for deads), deads, static lunge (no room for machines here vampy), another core
3 - swim (hopefully mixing in some interval stuff...you can set this up like the other cardio day)
4 - chins (they're the hardest so do them 1st), db incline bench (needs to be a different angle then mon), seated row, plank
5 - bridge, front/back squat (whatevber you didn't do last program, not sure about deads 2/week right now for you), reverse lunges, another core (side holds maybe??)
6 - cardio
7 - off

now we have 3 external rotation vs 3 internal rotation exercises for pwerfect balance...if you're already rounded in the shoulders then we'll need more ext rot then int rot
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Not as bad as I thought....

1 - db chest supported row -- use an incline bench, sitting reverse on it?

2 - another core -- plank?

3 - swim (hopefully mixing in some interval stuff...you can set this up like the other cardio day) -- most definately

4 - db incline bench (needs to be a different angle then mon) -- for external/internal rotation balance I assume and not to "target" upper chest lol

5 - front/back squat (whatevber you didn't do last program, not sure about deads 2/week right now for you)
-- 1 -- curious as to why not 2 days of deads
-- 2 -- can't balance bar for front squats, it causes pain with shoulders and wrists (tendinitus in both shoulders and wrists and for some reason this position agrievates it)

another core (side holds maybe??) -- is this the same as side bridge?

cheers swanso
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

1 - yep
2 - a different core, go side ab planks
3 - good
4 - it's silly to do bb becnh press and db press on the same angle in the cycle really...you'll overload the movement pattern
5 - well i'm not sure how lng you've been doing them for, technique etc...there's not too many people who dead 2/week heavy and if doing them properly you really shouldn't be able to...what about hang cleans, power cleans etc
6 - side bridge yes

just a side note your number 1 aim in any ohase is to at least maintain strength and with no work in the 5 reps or less range, you won't do that and you may not even maintain optinmal muscle levels...for this tou can either do 3 x 5 for one big exercise and then your circuits or do the first exercise of the circuit in a loweer rep range
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

2 - a different core, go side ab planks -- ok

4 - it's silly to do bb becnh press and db press on the same angle in the cycle really...you'll overload the movement pattern -- never thought of it in that way but makes sense.

5 - well i'm not sure how lng you've been doing them for, technique etc...there's not too many people who dead 2/week heavy and if doing them properly you really shouldn't be able to...what about hang cleans, power cleans etc -- alright once a week for heavy, as for hang cleans and power cleans gunna have to look them up because i'm not sure on movement (could be the name).

just a side note your number 1 aim in any ohase is to at least maintain strength and with no work in the 5 reps or less range, you won't do that and you may not even maintain optinmal muscle levels...for this tou can either do 3 x 5 for one big exercise and then your circuits or do the first exercise of the circuit in a loweer rep range.

==with the 8-10 rep range, I've not hit a serious plateau (more than 2x in the gym without adding reps or weight to an exercise) yet and am still gaining strength and muscle mass while maintaining the same body weight range within a 3lb variance either way. Body changes are visible. so should I still move to the 5 rep range for the largest lifts or stay with the 8-10 until I reach plateaus?

cheers
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

definately go for some low rep work

power/hang cleans are an explosive movement
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

ok i'll start some lower reps and check the cleans out on y-tube. Thanks

Cheers
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

here's an issue....

chest supported rows are not possible in gym for me. The only cable available to do these only goes to 66 lbs. Not enough weight. Would reverse flies (if only going as wide with arms at a 90) be considered a similar movement to use instead?

Cheers
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

they're done with db's mate off an incline bench
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Ah, I wondered but had cables set in head for some reason. Perfect Tanks!
Cheers