Need some constructive criticism on plan

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

swanso5 wrote:
If you split your routine and do 1/2 on Monday, and 1/2 on Tuesday; then repeat that on Thursday and Friday, you end up with 2 and 3 day rests (if you divide the workouts intelligently). Your workouts are shorter too, and you will be able to work more intensely in the shorter workouts.
hoe do you get 2 - 3 days rest training 4 days a week? the actual "bodypart" might get rest but the body and moe improtnatly, the nervous system doesn't...ecspecially won't most want to lift as heavy as they can every session...depends how your sessions are structured
If you bench on Monday and do triceps on Tuesday then you will not get the body part rest you need.

If you bench, do your triceps and shoulders on Monday and you do your lats and curls on Tuesday, then you will get the 4 day rest.

I pyramid workouts so body fatigue is generally not an issue.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

this where bodypart splits fall down...

the shoulder joint gets trained everyday leading to overuse, fatigue and possible injury
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

swanso5 wrote:this where bodypart splits fall down...

the shoulder joint gets trained everyday leading to overuse, fatigue and possible injury
I split by "push" exercises and "pull" exercises, not body parts.

Some "push" exercises: Bench, squat, triceps extensions, shoulder press, etc.

Some "pull" exercises: Row, pull down, dead lift, curl, femoral curls, calf extensions, etc.

In addition to the split that fully rests the muscles on off days, the mind set for "pushing" exercises is a bit more explosive than the one for "pulling" exercises. I find it useful to get mindset on one or the other for each workout.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

the shoulder is still getting used though yes???

this is a very underlooked part of program prescription

there's no real push/pull lower body exercises either, they're either hip or quad dominant or useless really
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

swanso5 wrote:the shoulder is still getting used though yes???
The shoulder is used on the upper body "push" days only. The shoulder is rested on the upper body "pull" days.

The lower body exercises cause some conflict. If you do dead lifts, which I call a "pull" exercise, you are using the quadraceps quite a bit. So if you put it with the "push" exercises, it conflicts with the rows (which are "pull").

But for the most part this works out pretty well as a split. Better than Upper/Lower body splits for certain.
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

While I'd agree the DL is a pull, the quads should not come into play all that much, unless you pull UP and not pull BACK. If you pull back, you will use hams/glutes and lower back. Using the quads and pulling up makes the lift much more difficult and opens you up for lower back strain. Even if you have spinal erectors like steel rods, you'll still leave 20kg on the floor pulling with your quads.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

there is still muscle action and stress on the shoulder joint during pulling exercise

squats can be the worst shoulder exercise of all for some...check out some trainees getting into that much external rotation with all their anterior tightness
The lower body exercises cause some conflict. If you do dead lifts, which I call a "pull" exercise, you are using the quadraceps quite a bit. So if you put it with the "push" exercises, it conflicts with the rows (which are "pull").
i read that 5 times and can't understand what you're trying to say...

apart from full body, upper/lower splits is the only split 95% of us should be using
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

DianaB wrote:While I'd agree the DL is a pull, the quads should not come into play all that much, unless you pull UP and not pull BACK. If you pull back, you will use hams/glutes and lower back. Using the quads and pulling up makes the lift much more difficult and opens you up for lower back strain. Even if you have spinal erectors like steel rods, you'll still leave 20kg on the floor pulling with your quads.
Stiff legged deadlifts are all back and hams; conventional deadlifts commence with the quads and finish with the glutes, hams and back. No matter what you do, you still have to straighten your legs which involves the quads heavily.
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

swanso5 wrote:there anterior tightness
The lower body exercises cause some conflict. If you do dead lifts, which I call a "pull" exercise, you are using the quadriceps quite a bit. So if you put it with the "push" exercises, it conflicts with the rows (which are "pull").
i read that 5 times and can't understand what you're trying to say...

apart from full body, upper/lower splits is the only split 95% of us should be using
I call dead-lifts a "pull" exercise. They involve a good bit of quadriceps so if I do dead-lifts on Monday, and squats (which I call a "push" exercise) on Tuesday, then I really don't rest quads very much.

Upper body/lower body is a logical breakdown of your workout, but for me it makes upper body workout too long. lower body workout is calves, squats, leg curls; a fairly short workout. (Shorter now because I am working out at home and I don't have a leg curl machine.)

upper body workout is flies, bench press (wide grip), bench press (close grip), curls, reverse curls, pull downs, rows, hammer curls, shoulder press, triceps extensions, French presses. So upper body days would be too long for me.

And, as I said, I like to break down the push vs. pull for the mind set difference.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Here's some info to chew on....

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _of_90&cr=

cheers
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i posted basic set up for a program yesturday for someone which you may have read and may be of use for you

basic rules are:

- for lower body do squats or deadlifts for max effrot each week, not both
- deadlifts are a hip dominante exercise so they'll go on lowewr body days
- no direct arm training except maybe a compound tricep exercise as a "filler" which also helps out shoulder and bench press
- no single joint / isolation exercises except for rehab/prehab purposes
- even volume and intensity (or as close as i can get) for external rotation and internal rotation of the shoulder

from your workout this would mean i would do the following:

- change your split to basic lower / upper body days
- take out flies, curls, reverse curls, hammer curls, tri ext and french presses and stick to the basic exercises

not to sound like a dick but at your age you should be trying to be as efficicent as possible with your training, not buggerising around with isolation exercises...if you've training 47yrs, you've probably got all you'll get out of them anyway

And, as I said, I like to break down the push vs. pull for the mind set difference.