loosing weight and building muscles

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

hanenee
STARTING OUT

loosing weight and building muscles

Post by hanenee »

I have been following protein diet to have a shaped body and build 6 packs ups
A friend of mine told me that it’s not possible since I still have fat in body
In this case, shall I stop protein diet and switch to another one ?
Or it will help in showing muscles once I decrease body fat ?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

what's the protein diet???
hanenee
STARTING OUT

Post by hanenee »

eating mainly tuna, eggs white or anything that is rich in protien
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

A protein diet does not build muscles. A protein diet + intelligent workout program + genetics will build muscles.

You can't do anything about your genetics so pay attention to the other components.

You need .8 grams to 1.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight you wish to attain. So if you want to weigh 120 lbs., then you want 96 to 120 grams of protein daily.

You want to adjust your other food intake so that it does not exceed your daily caloric requirements or you will gain weight.

Don't ignore your sleep and rest requirements either. They are also key components in your workout routine.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

you need carbs, just at certain times of day to off set any fat cell storage from spillover

are you never gonna eat carbs ever again? cos as soon as you do, whoopsadiasy you've put all the wt back on and then some

read the sticky in the diet section
hanenee
STARTING OUT

Post by hanenee »

good morning Canadian Steel
1st of all , let me thank you for sharing this variable information with all of us,
I totally agree with you that the body des not decide to burn from one place, it happened with me, i wanted to burn tummy's fat, it seemed to me at first that am not burning any, laps size were getting smaller and smaller, i said to self, this is going to be a disaster, body shape will be awful, then 2 months later tummy's size was decreasing and arms size as well, i did not want to loose any from arms since they are already fit in shape.
coffee did not work with me, i noticed after having a coffee in the morning the moment i jump into trade mill, heart rate is 181 while it suppose to be 122
I red a lot b4 about canned food effect, that was after having thyroid disorder, i came to know one of the causes is canned food, nowadays i do not allow canned food at home, it's always fresh
Maybe tuna is the only thing i buy canned
am not after mass muscle, i don’t want to loose feminine look, but adding shaped body with 6 packs is target and i would do any thing to accomplish it wish me luck

NEXT: Protein: Your body will require some fat to break down the protein. Your body can not break it down on its own. So maybe you want to lightly butter that bread before you stick the chicken breast in it.
(I LOVE this advice did not know it b4)

i wish you all the best in your training and thanx again for being VERY helpful
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

hanenee wrote:good morning Canadian Steel
1st of all , let me thank you for sharing this variable information with all of us,
I totally agree with you that the body des not decide to burn from one place, it happened with me, i wanted to burn tummy's fat, it seemed to me at first that am not burning any, laps size were getting smaller and smaller, i said to self, this is going to be a disaster, body shape will be awful, then 2 months later tummy's size was decreasing and arms size as well, i did not want to loose any from arms since they are already fit in shape.
coffee did not work with me, i noticed after having a coffee in the morning the moment i jump into trade mill, heart rate is 181 while it suppose to be 122
I red a lot b4 about canned food effect, that was after having thyroid disorder, i came to know one of the causes is canned food, nowadays i do not allow canned food at home, it's always fresh
Maybe tuna is the only thing i buy canned
, but adding shaped body with 6 packs is target and i would do any (1.) am not after mass muscle, i don’t want to loose feminine lookthing to accomplish it wish me luck

NEXT: Protein: Your body will require some fat to break down the protein. Your body can not break it down on its own. So maybe you want to lightly butter that bread before you stick the chicken breast in it.
(I LOVE this advice did not know it b4)

i wish you all the best in your training and thanx again for being VERY helpful
Totally false!!!!!!!!!!!
Woman who build muscle mass will NOT loose there feminity. NOR will they look like hulking man beasts with boobs and long hair. These women with whom you are thinking take drugs to get big and alter there bodies chemical disposition to acheive the look they get. Look at Fitness Athletes, toned smooth and sexy! You need muscle to burn fat, and keep your metabolism up. The BEST way to do this is lift weights, HEAVY weights with mid range reps, not 1 pound for 100 reps, for 2 or 3 sets. 6-10reps 3-4 sets so the last reps you struggle to complete but can do it.

strength training combined with HIIT and steady paced cardio is the whole and best programs you can ever do. Just say no to drugs! and you will not loose your femininity.
vamp
VETERAN

Re: protein diet alone? won't cut it

Post by vamp »

CanadianSteel wrote:Hi there,

Caffeinne tablets (usually found at 100mg or 200mg per pill) can assist naturally in this way, you can also have 2 cups of coffee, the end result is the same, altho i do not know the exact amount of caffienne in a cup of coffee cuz i can't stomach coffee. (caffeine is a drug, duh!)

The other consideration is this: When you do do cardio: try it first thing in the morning, empty stomach(STUPID!), with the said caffienne (refer above) in you 15 min. ahead of time. Some suggest this is most efficient time of day to burn fat.(depends on individual)

Next: Adding Mass or Muscle: Well Lifting heavy will help, and a healthy routine: But you have to eat "GOOD" carbs to pack on muscle. So in a way building mass, and loosing fat are directly opposite to each other. However, the more muscle you have, the less the fat you will need to burn.

NEXT: Protein: Your body will require some fat to break down the protien. Your body can not break it down on its own. So maybe you want to lightly butter(not a good fat!, why not some cheese or an egg? or perhaps yogurt? The right fats are import just as are the good carbs.) that bread before you stick the chicken breast in it.

FOOT NOTE: ABOUT CANNED TUNA: Please note, that researches do not advise eating tuna more than 2 - 3 times (maximum) a week because of the mercury content found in the fish. Which is not eliminated during the food processing system. This can elevate mercury levels in the body. So there no reason to be scared of it, but don't eat 3 cans a day of it. (TRUE)

Lastly: Water!!!!!!!!!!! for 4oz of red meat you will need 8oz of water! Also please note that your body can not break down (that means really utilize the nutrients of) more than 4oz of meat at 1 sitting, so while you see the guys chowing down on a 16 oz t-bone steak, only 4 oz of that, maybe 6 at best, is really used by the body, the rest of it goes down the digestive track and is disposed of. Water also helps you feel full, when eating, it also helps in muscle building, and it also helps you get rid of the fat by products once you've burned the fat off in your body as the they float around, its a natural way to cleanse the body.
(not sure of this ratio of 4oz red meat to 8oz water thing and as for a body only using 4-6 onzes of meat??? I believe its 30-50g of protein per meal is the most a body can use at a time-although still depends on the individual-, therefore using 5-8 meals per day makes required portions more easily digestable and attainable.)
You need very little to accomplish your goals, you just have to tweak your routine, and be smart about what you eat.

Hope this info helps....maybe it'll open up a discussion i dunno...Food for thought..maybe is more than just a saying...

off to lift....cheers
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

hanenee, check out this website and some of the models there, these are feminine women, strong, slim, some petit, good looking with smooth bodies. Not all jacked up on drugs and looking manly sized. There is also great info on this site as well.

http://www.figureathlete.com/

Cheers
thekid24
HIGH FLYER

Post by thekid24 »

cmon you dont lose your feminine look from working out.
thats like saying losing your masculinity by doing ballet.
if you dont eat like and train like a bodybuilder, you won't look like one.
if you dont go on a bulking diet, you won't bulk up.
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

thekid24 wrote:cmon you dont lose your feminine look from working out.
thats like saying losing your masculinity by doing ballet.
if you dont eat like and train like a bodybuilder, you won't look like one.
if you dont go on a bulking diet, you won't bulk up.
Nice, short and to the point.

Canadian Steel, amongst other things you listed that are pretty much false, the fasted cardio with caffeine in your system has to be the worst, what a great way to burn off lean mass. Aside form the absolute catabolism it creates, consider that when a person rises, the hormone cortisol is naturally elevated. Adding caffeine raises it more. Since many people trying to get rid of fat have issues with high cortisol, following your method is just a great way to halt any fat loss from that area. In fact, it may increase it.
I'm nor recommending morning cardio on a full stomach. Have a small meal before hand. And save the coffee for after the exercise and after you have properly (a real breakfast) re-fed your body from the night's sleep.
Hannenee, don't fall into the myth that women and weights is a horrible combination. In the past 6 months, I have not lost a pound of scale weight. In this time I've gained 4.5lbs of muscle and dropped BF another 3%. I'm far from huge and bulky and don't have visible striations, yet I am a power lifter. Lift heavy and eat well, you can't go wrong.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Not to sound rude Canadian, but Fat doesn't help much if at all to break down Protein, Protein is broken down by things like Proteases, Peptidases, Gastric Juices. Stomach Acid and B Vitamins.

Fats are Broken down by things like Fat Hormones, Bile, B Vitamins, Gastric Juices and Stomach Acid.

The fact you did what you did could lose weight, but not necessarily in the right way.

Your body can burn muscle when you excercise on empty, because you increase Metabolic activity through exercise, but provide no muscle sparing nutrition.

The reason more Fat gets metabolised in that instance, is because you don't have Carbs for energy instead.

Caffeine constricts Bloodvessels apart from anything, and is a Heart stimulant. Good Metabolic function comes from good exercise, you don't need to manipualte Thyroid activity with stimulants, or anything else for that matter.

The body doesn't want or need Caffeine. Unlike things like Carotenoids, non-essential Amino Acids, etc etc that the body doesn't need to survive but can use beneficially, Caffeine isn't one such thing, and not only that, it can interfere with certain minerals, and the Xanthines convert to Uric Acid, something which if you have too much of for years, can contribute to Gout.

You might have been increasing Fat Metabolism but also causing your body side issues, relating to fasted Cardio, and stimulant ingestion.

You must remember in such situations, it's not what you can see it doing, but what you can't. Fat loss can be achievable without doing things that are dubious, or potentially not healthy for the body.

If for example someone, (who's body is good for 2lbs weight loss a week), tries to force 3lbs a week out of it, it can help to reduce weight quicker, but not necessarily in the right ways, and not for the benefit of the bodies internal workings.

That's why for any healthy physical goal, patience is key, because more haste equals more potential to hurt the bodies Bones, Muscles, tissues or Organs.

The body will do what you want in most circumstances, if you give it time to do that properly, and respect it.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Agreed. I wouldn't criticse your involvement, unless you started being anti-social or rude to others.

We learn and re-educate through sharing. That's the way forums should work, to build community, and be as one. The only stipulation is, you respect others, and don't start calling people rude names and threatening them.

You haven't done anything like that, so that's fine, I welcome what you have to say. At times you might post something a little off beam, but that's okay, if anyone needs correcting sometimes it will be done for benefit, not for admonishment.

I've on one or two occasions boobed myself, and been told, occsionally boobed, and realised why I did it myself, like recently when I posted something with the word increased, instead of reduced in it yesterday, but only noticed today.

So don't worry about stuff, and don't take anything someone else says to heart. NOBODY here has their own agenda, or is out to ruffle feathers, and anyone who ever signs up and does that, they'll get banned.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

here's opinion on it all if anyone cares....

- fat loss tips (VB injections etc) aren't really managebale long term and there's plenty of "sustainable methods to elevate metabolism, obviously we're taling intense exercise and frequent feedings here
- caffeiene isn;t trhe answer as it's addictive...yes sugar is too but you need glycogen for muscles fuwl and glucise for brain fuel so comparing them is silly
- fasted cardio is the devil in book unless you have so much muscel and you're diet is dialled in like a mutherfu**er that you can off set it bit for 99% of us, we're far from it
- the more muscle you have the less you'll have to burn? not really...the more muscle you have the calories you'll burn at rest actually...adding muscle to fat gives you that "solid" look
- by the way bulking while at 24%???? not cool
- eliminating carbs and upping cardio...good ay to lose muscle and water actually, not a lot of actual fat though
- and long and light wts training? oh no...
- there's a few recoemmendations about priotein assimilation per sitting but it depends on a shit load of factors including when you trained, current muscle mass levels, metabolism etc
- how does it increase heart rate again??? i would have though running faster would do that...
- muscle is burnt before fat in high intensity activity in the event of no glycogen from sugar, fat takes too long to break down
- studies are crap...whoever pays for the study will get the result that they are after it's as simple as that...you may burn more fat (i don;t think so) but they fail to mention what happened to muscle didn't they or the intensity that they were training at
- i don't think you're stupid but the studies are. for sure
- finally, you said it may turn into a discussion which it is then so don't get all defensive when others oppose your views
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

CanadianSteel wrote: I'll also say, that women can lift weights very easily and happily without ever having a fear of loosing their feminity. Guys like it tonned.
This made me laugh, a lot. Really, so you actually think that women who lift seriously give a fart in the wind as to what guys like?
Thanks for the amusement though, from all your posts so far. I look forward to more.