Try to increase pushup ability

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

whodini3
STARTING OUT

Try to increase pushup ability

Post by whodini3 »

Alright, so goal is to break school record in push-ups. which is 119 straight. I think at this point, on a good day I could do about 70-80 without stopping, and they are decent push-ups. what I have been doing to train to break the record is obviously, doing a lot of push-ups. What I have been using is regular push up bars, "perfect push-ups" and 40 lb weight vest. I have been doing sets of 25, varying the type of push-ups, all of that after I start out with a set of nonstop regular 50.

Any ideas to help me break the record?... I'm in senior year, and I already hold one record, and I want MORE!!! =)

Please everybody give me your thoughts, tell me what you think would be more beneficial to goal.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

push up record??? goodness me

um do more push ups...sets of 25 won't do a great deal if you're aiming for a set of 100+

and unless you push up test will be done a perfect push up (which is useless by the way) then there's no point in using that

how long ahev you got? you'll need to work out a progressive plan to reach it and beyond prior to the event
whodini3
STARTING OUT

Post by whodini3 »

I have been doing 200+ per day....different sets of different types is what I meant... body adapts quickly....i have another 5 months to do this but i bet if i keep working at it i can do it in about a month
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

I had a similar goal in high school but there was no "official" record. I got up to 163 consecutive push-ups.

training was like this:

I worked up to three sets of 50 reps three times per week.

After I reached that level for a few weeks I started shifting some of the reps from the last set to the first set (so that the total remained at 150 reps). For example:

50; 50; 50 = 150
60; 50; 40 = 150
70; 50; 30 = 150
80; 50; 20 = 150
90; 50; 10 = 150
100; 50 = 150
110; 40 = 150

etc.

It quickly became apparent that there was no competition for this record and I abandoned it before I went off to college.

(I still like push-ups and I still perform a good many of them. They allow you to build stamina in your upper body and heavier training will not do that. You train your body the way you intend to use it. For boxing and martial arts push ups probably make more sense than heavy benching.)
whodini3
STARTING OUT

Post by whodini3 »

Thanks a lot, that is a great idea
soaringhigher
STARTING OUT

Post by soaringhigher »

That is a good idea..it really helps that's what I do
soaringhigher
STARTING OUT

question

Post by soaringhigher »

How many times a week?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

do every 4 days
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

swanso5 wrote:do every 4 days
Four days is a good number. If you find that your muscles get sore by waiting that long, then go 5 or 6 days with a very light workout in between. A light workout would be 1/2 the number of reps with an equal number of sets. Resist the temptation to add sets--the whole point is to get enough training that you will not ache, and still get plenty of rest.

The key is that you need to get sufficient rest to recover from the hard workout in order to make progress.