Newbie, Need some help.

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

mark833
STARTING OUT

Newbie, Need some help.

Post by mark833 »

I'm sure you guys have seen this post a million times, but I just need specific directed advice.

I am a first-year university student (I'm 18 years old) and ever since I have been 14 I have been about 20 pounds overweight. I don't have much muscle and am certainly not obese, but I have a little bit of a (about 20 pounds overweight I'm guessing) and not much else to boot.

That said, after 4 years or so, I'm sick of it. I am a busy college student, but I have no excuse. It's dead winter up here (I go to school in Montreal, Canada) but the school gym is a 5 minute walk from residence.

I already have a membership and have been going for about three weeks so far so I'll tell you guys what I do so far and some help would be much appreciated.

Stats: 18 years old, , 166lbs (again, little to no muscle), 5'11".

goal is to lose that extra 20lbs in and maybe have some biceps and six pack one day. That would be the day! But I'm gonna do it with help from you guys I hope!

I am new to the gym environment so and am swamped with school so I go 3 times per week, every week. When I go I do High Intensity Interval Training on the treadmill (60 seconds average speed, 30 seconds as hard as I can go) for about 20 minutes or until I can't go anymore. I'm not really sure how to use most of the equipment at the gym so as of now only strength training is leg press, I lift dumbells for a while, do some crunches, and then do some bicycle crunches.

In terms of food, I am in residence so the cafeterias are only open for 3 meals a day and I also only usually have a choice between 3 meals when I'm there. Being in Anatomy, I do know a fair amount about nutrition so I try to choose white meats, lots of veggies, little to no sweets, etc. I was planning on carrying granola bars around to eat in between meals since the caf is only open for 3 meals/day.

Before I start rambling, I am a busy college student, but I am committed to this. Knowing the above, I need a simple and easy workout plan to follow and advice on food knowing that I basically have fixed meals.

Thank you everyone.

EDIT: I also considered investing in a personal trainer at the gym, but unfourtunately school gym doesn't offer that service.
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Instead of a 5 minute walk, make it 15 and head south towards the river. You'll find a great semi private gym near the end of Saint Antoine by Atwater: Epicentre Training in the RCA Building (Ste-Antoine & Lenoire). You'll find 1 day a week with a coach to be a very wise place to start. You can do the other 2 days at the school gym.
I can personally attest to the professionalism of the owner of this gym, and it won't cost you a fortune to go once a week either.