Req Total Body Workout Ideas

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

spokesnwheels
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Req Total Body Workout Ideas

Post by spokesnwheels »

Hey guys,

Is there a link that I can go to, to see examples of total body workouts? I am thinking about switching from current split routine to a Total Body one.

I do have a unique situation with working out though. I have some severe left side weakness and atrophy that I am having to build up or work with, so some traditional exercises are out of the question for now (pullups for example).

Thanks for the help!
clare_1
HIGH FLYER

Post by clare_1 »

I quite like this site. boyfriend finds that hilarious (jealous :wink: ).
spokesnwheels
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by spokesnwheels »

clare_1 wrote:I quite like this site. boyfriend finds that hilarious (jealous :wink: ).

Which site? link? :)
clare_1
HIGH FLYER

Post by clare_1 »

Apologies. Im a bit dim sometimes.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/iovate5.htm
spokesnwheels
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by spokesnwheels »

HA! no worries! Thanks for the link! I'll peruse it as work permits!

clare_1 wrote:Apologies. Im a bit dim sometimes.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/iovate5.htm
spokesnwheels
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Question -

Post by spokesnwheels »

I saw in another posting on this forum about Total Body Workouts, and how you have to alternate push/pull workouts.

post-33892.html

Is there a system for this. Also is there a list of exercises that are catagorized by whether they are push or pull?

The science just boggles me!
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

for your 1 sided weaknesses stick to db/cable exercises then...what's the atrphy from? it may not be atrophy rather then a nerve issue (less efficient firing on that side) which may need chiropractic help

day 1

static lunge x 12/leg, 30secs rest, single arm cable row x 12, rest, single arm cable push x 12, rest, prone plank x 1min, rest x 3 - 5 cycles

day 2

reverse lunge x 12, rest, db row x 12, rest, single arm shoulder press x 12, rest, rest, single arm pulldown x 12, rest, side plank x 30secs rest x 3 - 4 cycles

alternate through them

for your weak side do 1 extra set on that side so if your weak side on your ypper body is weak do an extra set on that side like this (if opting for 3 circuits

left arm, right arm, left arm, right arm, left arm, right arm, left arm
spokesnwheels
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by spokesnwheels »

Awesome!

I was born with a very mild case of cerebral palsy, that effected the left side of body. I would probably compare it to a mild stroke.

It takes more work to get flexibility and strength on left side. The tendons are pretty spastic, and that hinders the overall muscle growth. Mobility isn't an issue, and God knows I don't let anything get in way. LOL

It's not too big of a deal, but it makes me have to try to alter things a little to get the job done.

Thanks so much for the exercises! I'm ready to hit it!
swanso5 wrote:for your 1 sided weaknesses stick to db/cable exercises then...what's the atrphy from? it may not be atrophy rather then a nerve issue (less efficient firing on that side) which may need chiropractic help

day 1

static lunge x 12/leg, 30secs rest, single arm cable row x 12, rest, single arm cable push x 12, rest, prone plank x 1min, rest x 3 - 5 cycles

day 2

reverse lunge x 12, rest, db row x 12, rest, single arm shoulder press x 12, rest, rest, single arm pulldown x 12, rest, side plank x 30secs rest x 3 - 4 cycles

alternate through them

for your weak side do 1 extra set on that side so if your weak side on your ypper body is weak do an extra set on that side like this (if opting for 3 circuits

left arm, right arm, left arm, right arm, left arm, right arm, left arm
spokesnwheels
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by spokesnwheels »

What is the avg time for rest between sets? (NM I see in the second day of exercises that you mention 30 seconds)

The single cable arm push may be tricky. smith machine's cables are only high cables and one low cable. I'll see what I can come up with.

Can I throw in spinning on the stationary bike or something else to get the HR up between sets?

And - should I go heavy?

Thanks again.... great advice you are sharing!
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

about 30secs rest give or take

you can do db bench presses if you like then

if your using heavy enough wt and resting as advised then you're HR will be up

yes yes, god yes go heavy
spokesnwheels
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by spokesnwheels »

Thanks so much!

I did this workout tonight and what an kicking! LOL I did three circuits, plus one additional for weaker left side. I also warmed up for 10 minutes on stair stepper. I hope that was ok. It took roughly 50 mins.

I realized when doing this workout, that I SUCK at planks now. Will work on that.

I'll keep at it!
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

great to hear...i wouldnlt warm up too much on the stair thingy as you mught blow up your legs too much beofre the wts...never compromise the wt to be used for your workouts
spokesnwheels
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by spokesnwheels »

Gotcha. I'll keep it to about 5 min. I'll save the higher portion for cardio days.
swanso5 wrote:great to hear...i wouldnlt warm up too much on the stair thingy as you mught blow up your legs too much beofre the wts...never compromise the wt to be used for your workouts
spokesnwheels
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Hit the Day 2 of Your list of Exercises last night

Post by spokesnwheels »

Again another great workout. I am definitely going to get some results and get left side strong.

I teeter a bit on the lunges when having left food forward, but I'm still pushing myself to do them with good form - screw up one rep, add on another til it is right.

I see that core is not as strong as I had thought. The side planks for left side were a challenge - I could not keep whole side elevated like on right side. I had to vary the pose a little - I kept hips and upper body elevated, but let the side of knees lightly touch ground. I still felt the workout in the obliques on left side- shaking like crazy. I have a Physio-Ball that I can use for a variation as well, if you think that would be better.

goal is to work up to being able to side plank with full extention, on left side.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

keep the whole side of the body up, quality over quantity