1st time planning a program

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Bigboi118
HIGH FLYER

1st time planning a program

Post by Bigboi118 »

as the topic says, ive never planned own program before, at the moment ive been working through Chad waterbury programs and find them good and easy to follow, today i jus got bored at work and planned out a program

It would b a 3 day weights and 2 days cardio per week (with the weight days bein full body workouts)

Monday
Decline bench press
BB Squats
Romanian Deadlift
Calf Raises
Reverse BB Curl or Hammer curl
DB Bent over lat raises

Tues
HIIT Cardio (Ex. bike or skip rope or circuit training with box bag)
& AB/Core work

Wed
Flat BB Bench Press
BB Lunges
BB Bent over rows
Raised Calf raises
BB Curl
DB/BB Military press

Thurs
off

Friday
Incline BB Bench Press
BB Hack Squats
Chest supported rows
Seated calf raises
French presses
BB Push press

Sat
off

Sun
HIIT Cardio (early morning run this day, sprint/jog/sprint/jog etc.)
& AB Work

Not sure about sets and reps, but i think it would be best to mix it each day, as in monday 6x4 and then wed 3x8 friday.
Im still following a program at the moment and will probably go onto another of CW, but this is just a test, eventually I want to be able to plan own routine

any critisism welcome
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

it's hard to plan a program without a goal...

alwyn cosgrove says that the first thing you detritmine is the rep range in accordance with your goal as that will dictate what exercises you'll do...something to think about

as an examplr you day mon will be 6 x 4 (which will make it heavy wt) and fri 3 x 8 (moderate wt)...so you've got calf raises which are predominantly a slow twitch fibre dominant meaning they require a lot of volume for 6 sets of 4 which is nowhere near enough stimulation for them (as i mentioned before probably, training claves is basically a waste of time anyway unless your really willing to train 3 - 4 a week with high vol and really heavy wts...not worth it for mine)...on fri you have db push presses which is explosive exercises which require short and hard sets as you can;t train explosively for longr then 10secs reslly so sets of 8 will take at least 15secs probably longer so they shopuld be on the 6 x 4 day if anywhere

get drift here?

Monday
Decline bench press
BB Squats
Romanian Deadlift
Calf Raises
Reverse BB Curl or Hammer curl
DB Bent over lat raises

Tues
HIIT Cardio (Ex. bike or skip rope or circuit training with box bag)
& AB/Core work

Wed
Flat BB Bench Press
BB Lunges
BB Bent over rows
Raised Calf raises
BB Curl
DB/BB Military press

Thurs
off

Friday
Incline BB Bench Press
BB Hack Squats
Chest supported rows
Seated calf raises
French presses
BB Push press

Sat
off

Sun
HIIT Cardio (early morning run this day, sprint/jog/sprint/jog etc.)
& AB Work

Not sure about sets and reps, but i think it would be best to mix it each day, as in monday 6x4 and then wed 3x8 friday.
Im still following a program at the moment and will probably go onto another of CW, but this is just a test, eventually I want to be able to plan own routine

any critisism welcome
Bigboi118
HIGH FLYER

Post by Bigboi118 »

I never thought about the goal. I see what you mean though, certain exercises need to have a different set/rep range than others, so for it to fit together I would need to plan a set/rep range for each day and then put the right exercises in place.

goal is to get stronger and grow in size
So would a low rep high set routine would be best?

I aint gonna go off and do own routine for a while yet, I still gotta learn more. Ill go back to T-nation to get another routine, any suggestions of another CW one? or another author who u reccomend?

thanks
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

cw has about 50 programs on there

for size/strength you want a mix of reps..i'd proabably go one or the other to get the best affect