New Workout Program&Food Intake..Am I doing this right?

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kaiyla
STARTING OUT

New Workout Program&Food Intake..Am I doing this right?

Post by kaiyla »

Hello all. I am 5'0, 110lbs, and am trying to drop 10lbs (but I'd settle for 7 or 8) and tone up. I tend to carry weight in hips, thighs, lower and arms. I don't know what body type that is, but I have it. I wanted to check with the pro's and make sure I am going about this the right way. Here workout/eating details:

Workout Program:

6a.m Monday-Friday:
Jog/walk (I am trying to build endurance up to a full jog) for 40-45 minutes.
1p.m. Monday-Friday:
Lift weights for 20-30 minutes, alternating one day upper body (arms/abs), one day lower body (butt/legs).

Food Intake:

Breakfast:
7 Reduced Fat Triscuits with a few teaspoons of hummus

Lunch:
1 and a half brown Rice Cakes with Reduced Fat Peanut Butter
1 apple/or salad

After Gym Snack:
2 boiled eggs

Later afternoon snack:
1 yogurt with chopped strawberries

Dinner:
Steamed broccoli
Lean Cuisine, or pasta (if I'm starving) with shaved parm

Desert:
1 Blow-Pop

I have a really horrible sweet tooth and I LOVE spaghetti so to get these things down to where they are, has been a challenge. I'm also a vegetarian, if that matters at all. Does this look good? The work-outs make me feel great and very motivated. I have more of an issue with the food-part, because I get hungry here and there. Please give me any advice/input that you might have. :D
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- run harder for shorter...as soon as you exceed 2mins your training endurance so 45mins is overkill...it won't drop any fat either, ecspecially hip/thigh fat
- upper body arms and abs? no chest, back, shoulders???
- 2 sessions a day everyday? not good
- food needs a lot of work...go to diet section and read "read before posting..." and a small hint, anything low fat is hogh carbs or full of artificials...eat actual food
- just read your a vego at the end...you need to up, up, up your protein levels...beans, shakes, fish maybe depending on what "level" vego you are (i love how there are levels)
kaiyla
STARTING OUT

Post by kaiyla »

Thank you for the reply, swanso. I've been browsing the forum and kind of had a feeling (and was hoping) you might reply.
Reading over what you said, I had a few comments and questions..

-you said run harder for shorter. Would you recommend 30 minutes?

-I intend to incorporate chest, back, shoulders, once I master the basics of a good arm/ab/leg/butt workout.

-How come two sessions a day is not good? What if I jogged for a 1/2 hr in the morning, and did 25 min of weights in the afternoon? I feel a little bummed out, these workouts made me feel so great. I do take Saturday and Sunday off.

-Everyone here talks about the "read before posting," I think I am crazy because I can't find that!!

-I am an extreme level vego, so not even fish are making it into this body. Another protein fail is that I am allergic to nuts. To help boost protein levels, I am going to pick up some designer whey protein this weekend.

I hope I didn't ambush you with all these questions, you just seem to know what you are talking about.
If any ladies want to jump in and tell me what has worked for you in terms of slimming down hips and thighs, I'd appreciate it. So far I'm doing kickbacks, lots of squats, and lunges.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- shorter...do intervals for 10mins as hard as you can (1min easy then 1min as hard as you can)
- you should start with legs (bum and legs are the same thing), back and core...then add in chest and shoulders...then you're done...don't need arm work really
- more is not better, more quality is better...jogging is not quality but those intervals above are...alternate wt and interval days with at least 1 day off a week but not 2 days in a row off a week
- go to the diet section here and it's a sticky there
- as sugegsted increase protein levels through beens, diary and such as well as powder