Questions Galore, Workout Routine, Climbing, etc.

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Mattam
STARTING OUT

Questions Galore, Workout Routine, Climbing, etc.

Post by Mattam »

Alright, so I'm basically completely new into lifting weights, cardio, building muscle etc.

I'm 18 yrs old, 6'0 and weigh 190. I'm tubby, have a small chest and rock climb 2-4 days a week. I'm also going to start training with the gym's trainer, who is supposably very good.

I would honestly like a bigger rib cage, because hips are very wide and that doesn't supplement a good shape. Is there a way (breathing exercises, stretches, etc) to expand the rib cage? I don't just mean width, but also thickness. (Forward/backward, as well as side to side)

Next, What kind of diet should I have? I read the foods, but I'm not sure which ones would be great for a climbing 18 year old in specific.

goal is to look bulky, as in a big guy. I know that genetics is going to be a problem, so I won't be a bodybuilder...but what can I do to help myself?

I also want to start running a mile or so 3/4 days a week, when I'm not climbing.

If I were to rate goals from 1-3, 1 being the most wanted, it'd be:

1: Bigger chest/rib cage. (Wider/thicker)

2: Look thin/fit.

3: Build muscle.

If anyone has the time and the patience to help, I'd be most appreciated.

If you wanna link me somewhere, that's cool too. I tried searching, but this is kinda specific to me.

Thanks, -Matt.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- you can;t chage your rib cage, you can build/lose from other parts to give the illusion of an increased rib cage but nothing to it itself
- you're pretty much stuck with your shape, dont worry about fighting it mate
- to thicken it up you need a bigger chest and thicker back but for rock climbing you want to limit wt gain obviously
- all diets should be same really except for timing...go to the diet section here and read "read before posting..."
- why do you want to run?
- you've listed your goals but where does rock climbing come into those?
Mattam
STARTING OUT

Post by Mattam »

Quite hard to come to terms with that fact.

I will read it.

I want to run because I'd like to be fit not just in muscle, but in cardio. All around kind of deal.

Also, I'm going to the University of Oregon in Eugene, which is a huge running AND climbing town. I'd like to join the bandwagon on that.

Rock Climbing comes in last, and honestly, I think everything else will benefit it. Most of the best climbers I see are completely ripped. But I understand the point, I bet they're around 150 or 160. ( height)

Thanks for the reply.