Fat Loss Workout Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Michael83
STARTING OUT

Fat Loss Workout Journal

Post by Michael83 »

goal is to get down to 170bs at about 12% while improving overall fitness level.

I currently weigh 270lbs. and based on a variety of online calculators I would guesstimate at around 35-40%.

I worked out 5-6x a week for nearly 2 months while only dropping 5lbs. I'm sure I had some quick beginner muscle gains while the physical activity dropped the 5lbs.
I definitely felt better, but I wanted maximum fat loss so I started a fairly strict, clean diet and lost 11 pounds in two weeks but have since slacked. It really is an 80/20 or even 90/10 split of eating properly/exercise.

I'm hoping by tracking diet and workouts that I'll stick with it for the long haul and reach goal.

diet plan is as follows:

Meal 1 -
8 egg whites
1 yolk
2 pieces of organic flax toast w/a little butter
4 slices precooked bacon :lol:
1 Multivitamin

Meal 2 - 1 hr. Pre-workout

2 servings plain oatmeal
1 small banana
1 scoop whey w/8oz of 2% milk
400mg caffeine

Meal 3 - Post-workout
1.5 scoops whey
1 scoop maltodextrin
10oz of 2% milk

Meal 4 -

4oz baked chicken breast tenderloins
3/4c long grain brown rice w/ a little soy sauce
1/2 a serving of cottage cheese
Salad w/cherry tomatoes and lite-ranch (yogurt style, no corn syrup)

Meal 5 -
4oz sliced ham or turkey
1 whole wheat bun
1 slice of low fat provolone cheese
Lettuce, tomatoes and onion
1 small apple

Meal 6 -
4oz baked chicken breast tenderloin's
1 organic whole wheat wrap/tortilla
1oz low fat shredded cheese
Side of lettuce and cherry tomatoes

Meal 7 -
I can/pouch of tuna or salmon
25 raw almonds

Meal 8 - Bedtime
1 serving of low-fat cottage cheese

Of course if I can't stick to all these meals I'll try a healthy alternative like a string cheese, jerky and almonds or a 6" chicken on wheat from Subway.
I've never been a big soda/juice/etc. drinker, so drinking lots (1gall+ a day) of water is cake.

Workout:

As for working out, I know I don't need to pound away on the cardio machines to lose weight so I'm not going to.
I just bought a new mountain bike and have a State Park that's only a 10 minute drive away, so as soon as the weather turns I'm sure I'll be out there riding the single-track at least 3x a week. And from past experience I can say XC mountain biking is definitely HIIT style cardio.

Warm-up I do before lifting:
7-10 minutes cardio warm-up (until I break a sweat), followed by a full body stretch routine, then I warm-up the muscle(s) I'm going to work with a few high-rep lightweight sets.

Day 1 - Lats & Abs
5 sets of Hammer Strength lat pull-downs
5 sets of seated machine rows
5 sets of close grip (triangle) cable pull-downs

4-5 sets of weighted Abdominal Crunch Machines
4 sets of lying leg raise

Day 2 - Legs & Lower back

4 sets leg press
4 sets leg curl
5 sets calf raises

4 sets hyperextension

Day 3 - Pecs & Delts

4 sets Hammer Strength ISO bench press
4 sets machine flies
4 sets cable crossovers

4 sets rear delt raise (machine)
4 sets lateral raise (machine)

Day 4 - Bi's, Tris and Forearms
4 sets standing barbell curl
4 sets machine preacher curl
4 sets hammer curls

4 sets rope pushdown
4 sets extensions (machine)
4 sets extensions (cable)

4 sets behind the butt barbell wrist curls
4 sets barbell revers curls
4 sets rope and weight wrist curls
Last edited by Michael83 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: weight loss workout journal!

Post by Boss Man »

Michael83 wrote: Meal 1 -
8 egg whites
1 yolk
2 pieces of organic flax toast w/a little butter
4 slices precooked bacon :lol:
1 Multivitamin

(You're overdosing on protein there. 8 Egg Whites alone, assuming their small ones are 22g, plus a Yolk 25.5g, then the Bacon as well. I'd suggest removing 4 Egg Whites and Two Bacon Rashers. Bacon is good for things like Iron and also some useful Omega 6 as well.

You could add a few Nuts in there, to bump a small amount of Calories back in or add a piece of Fruit, like some grilled Tomatos with your Eggs and Bacon, or an Apple or Banana as examples. With msot Fruits, aid digestion by giving them 10-15 minutes before eating other things, as they don't fair that well, sharing Stomach space with other foods. Tomatos are one exception however.

Search out post on mutivits and the issues with dissolution and fillers, just incase yours is not all it seems.)

Meal 2 - 1 hr. Pre-workout

2 servings plain oatmeal
1 small banana
1 scoop whey w/8oz of 2% milk
400mg caffeine

(Caffeine, blocks Absorption of Iron, a key component in Erythrocytes, (Red Blood Cells), that carry Oxygen around the body. It also constricts bloodvessels. Having it before workouts is likely not to cause much effect on Erythrocyte levels during the workout, but potentially slowing Oxygen supply, may cause poorer Oxygen replenishement to Muscles between sets, plus ATP the Muscle energy source that aids movement, contains Oxygen, plus the end product of Glycolysis, (Glucose and Glycoigen breakdown), Pyruvate, requires good Oxygen levels to be used properly, otherwise you get Anaerobic Metabolism and one such byproduct is Lactic Acid, os the Caffeine may not likely assist your workouts, but moreso hinder them.

I reccomend forgetting it. Especially as it's also a Heart stimulant and you'll elevate Heart rate a lot during lifting anyway.)

Meal 3 - Post-workout
1.5 scoops whey
1 scoop maltodextrin
10oz of 2% milk

(Milk increase Casein, calories, viscocity and enyzme production, (you need Lactase to breakdown the Galactose in the Lactose Di-saccharide). All of which could slow absorption. The small payoff being the Lactose helping to produce a protein synthesising Insulin Spike, but it's not worth it.

Water is better. For taste issues, try a bit of Honey, Cinnamon, Vanilla Essence, ground Ginger or ground Nutmeg.

You could buy a powder with Maltodextrin in it, as it's cheaper. Only slight downside is the flexibility regards Carb levels as you'd be having a fixed amount per shake. You currentl choose your own amount.)

Meal 4 -

4oz baked chicken breast tenderloins
3/4c long grain brown rice w/ a little soy sauce
1/2 a serving of cottage cheese

(Too much protein. You're getting it in the Chicken, Cheese and Rice. Ditch the Cheese and add things like Tomatos, Cucumber, Peppers, Cahsews, Chestnuts, Veggies for more Carbs isntead. So you're not canning off too many calories, or sub the Soy sauce for something like olive Oil, Peanut Oil, Sesame Oil, etc etc, if you're not having Nuts. Most Nuts are only decent for protein in truckloads anyway. You can can get Fats and Carbs from Avocado too, without cranking your Protein back up.)

Meal 5 -
4oz sliced ham or turkey
1 whole wheat bun
1 slice of low fat provolone cheese
Lettuce, tomatoes and onion
1 small apple

(Should be fine. Could repalce the Apple with more Veggies though if needs be.)

Meal 6 -
4oz baked chicken breast tenderloin's
1 organic whole wheat wrap/tortilla
1oz low fat shredded cheese
Side of lettuce and cherry tomatoes

(Fine)

Meal 7 -
I can/pouch of tuna or salmon
25 raw almonds

(You've got potential Heavy Metal issues there. So either consume Tuna 2-3 times a week, then replace with things like chicken, Turkey, Ham etc, or have Salmon instead daily or semi-regularly.)

Meal 8 - Bedtime
1 serving of low-fat cottage cheese

(Low Fat Cheese is better. More good Fat, more protein, portion to portion comparison.)

Of course if I can't stick to all these meals I'll try a healthy alternative like a string cheese, jerky and almonds or a 6" chicken on wheat from Subway.

Wow, I'm out of time! I'll finish this later today.
Michael83
STARTING OUT

Re: weight loss workout journal!

Post by Michael83 »

Thanks for the tips Boss Man.

I don't think I can ditch the caffeine pre-workout though lol.

Yes, I've been reading about tuna and mercury so I guess I'll cut back on it. I don't think I can afford fresh fish everyday...what about canned salmon? local Costco has "Atlantic Salmon" though it states it's farm raised in Chile.

Also, what type of low fat cheese is better than cottage? I thought cottage is basically casein which is ideal before bed because of it's slow digestion/absorption.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Fat Loss Workout Journal

Post by Boss Man »

Before bed you've got Casein as the best protein source for anti-catabolism.

Any low Fat Cheese will do in theory, so it's then just a question of what your Mouth will abide taste wise.

Be aware of farmed Salmon, they often add a speical feed to Fish, that turns the flesh pinky, because they don't get a normal seafood diet that would do that naturally.

Frsh Salmon is better, like Atlantic Salmon, but Canned is okay, but I'd heed against farmed, unless you know for sure the breeder of the Salmon does not use flesh colourising feeds of any kind.
Michael83
STARTING OUT

Post by Michael83 »

Just to clarify, I worked:

Lats - June 3th
Chest - June 4th
Bi's & Tris - June 5th

I'm resting today, but I'll be starting the diet tomorrow and hitting the lats again.

Also, does anyone know the average weight of the Olympic EZ curl bar? Or do they vary a bit?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Do you mean an Olympic Bar or an E-Z Bar?

Most Olympics weigh around 15-20 kg's, (33-44 lbs). E-Z Bars weigh roughly 7.5kg's (16.5lbs).
Michael83
STARTING OUT

Post by Michael83 »

I meant the EZ curl bar that accepts the standard Olympic (holed) plates, so I guess just an EZ curl bar.
Michael83
STARTING OUT

Post by Michael83 »

All right, I've been busy and lazy all week, so today's work out was Day 1 - Lats and Abs.

Day 1 - Lats & Abs

Hammer Strength lat pull-downs
15 x 95lbs. (warm-up)
12 x 140
10 x 160
6 x 180
8 x 140 (drop set)

Seated machine rows (mid-grip)
15 x 50lbs (warm-up)
12 x 70
10 x 80
9 x 90
6 x 100
6 x 70 (drop set)

Close grip (triangle) cable pull-downs
15 x 75lbs (warm-up)
15 x 90 (too lite - could have done 20+)
10 x 105
6 x 112.5
6 x 90 (drop set)
I was running out of time so these sets were rushed with minimal rest

Weighted Abdominal Crunch Machine
20 x 90lbs
18 x 90
12 x 70
10 x 70

Lying leg raise (no-weight)
20 x reps
15 x
10 x
10 x

I drank 3x20oz bottles of water during.

I felt great post-workout. I took 9grams of L-glutamine followed by a whey protein shake w/8oz milk 2% and 1-scoop of maltodextrin (440 cal / 32gr pro / 64 carbs).

Oh yeah, I weighed myself pre-workout in the locker room at 267.7 in gym clothes and MP3 player/headphones.
Michael83
STARTING OUT

Post by Michael83 »

Pectorals & and lower back

Hammer Strength ISO bench press
15 x 90lbs
12 x 110
9 x 130
6 x 150
4 x 110 (drop-set)

Machine Flys
12 x 75lbs
10 x 82.5
9 x 90
8 x 105

Cable-Crossover
12 x 30lbs (each arm)
10 x 35
6 x 40 (felt dead on this set)
12 x 30

Hyperextension
12x reps
10x
8x
8x

Drank 2x20oz bottles of water during workout.

I felt great post-workout, though I was mad at myself for not allowing enough time for delts- guess I'll add them to tomorrows workout. I took 9.5grams of L-glutamine followed by a whey protein shake w/8oz milk 2% and 1-scoop of maltodextrin (440 cal / 32gr pro / 64 carbs).
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Shakes are better mixed with Water.

Milk increase calories, casein content, viscocity and also Enzyme production. You need Lactase Enzymes to digest the Galacotse in the Lactose Di-saccharide.

These potentially slow down the absorption.

You can affect the insulin spike that helps synthesise Protein, by the addition of Lactose, but it's a small payoff.

If water based protein shakes taste a bit funny, then adding a bit of Honey, Vanilla Essence, Cinnamon, ground Nutmeg, or ground Ginger, may help.

Just a thought :).
Michael83
STARTING OUT

Post by Michael83 »

Boss Man wrote:Shakes are better mixed with Water.

Just a thought :).
You're right :lol:

I tried shake today with roughly 12-14oz of ice cold water (vs the 8oz of milk) and added a 1/3 scoop more whey to make up for the protein loss of the milk. It tastes whey better, haha.

Also, how do you take your glutamine? I bought powder (instead of capsules...mistake?) and I'm currently taking 4.5gr when I wake up and 9-10gr post-workout (10min before the protein/maltodextrin shake). I just spoon it up and try to let it dissolve in mouth but I always have to take a small sip of water. I read that was the optimum way to take it like 7+ years ago when I first used it.
Michael83
STARTING OUT

Post by Michael83 »

Bi's, Tris and Forearms Saturday's workout

Standing EZ barbell curl
12 x 56.5lbs (assuming bar weighs 16.5lbs)
9 x 61.5
7 x 61.5
6 x 61.5
6 x 36.5 (drop-set) w/another EZ curl bar

Assisted Dips
15 x 112lbs (weight of the assist)
15 x 112
11 x 100
8 x 88
7 x 112 (drop-set)

Machine Isolated Curl single arm
16 x 30lbs
10 x 35
8 x 40
8 x 45
6 x 50
3 x 30 (drop-set)
wow, this machine makes me think I'm strong lol

Tricep Rope Pushdown
15 x 50lbs
12 x 70
7 x 80
? x 50 (drop-set)
? x 30 (drop-set)
6 x 90
? x 60 (drop-set)
? x 30 (drop-set)
I don't know what the hell was with all the drop sets

Barbell Reverse Curl dropped w/Hammer Curl
15 x 30lbs reverse ---> 7 x 15lbs Hammer
13 x 30 ---> 4 x 15
9 x 30 ---> 4 x 12.5

Cable Double Bicep Curl
10 x 20lbs
9 x 25
7 x 30
6 x 30
4 x 20 (drop set)

Triceps Cable Kickback
20 x 20lbs
9 x 30 then over to the rope 10 x 50lbs pushdowns

Rope and Weight wrist curls rolled up and down piece of wood
10lbs

I felt great post-workout- great pump . 10g of glutamine followed by whey/malto shake with water (est. 350cal / 32pro / 50carb).
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Dissolving Glutamine in the Mouth? Never heard that.

Mix it and chug it. Simple really.

There are 3 main ways people do it.

5 or 10g after workouts and before bed.

5g after workouts, before bed and with breakfast.

5-10g before bed, no post-workout scoop.

You could buy some seperately to have before bed, like I do. 1x 5g is all I need. Protein Shakes if you get a decent one, will have things like added Glutamine and BCAA's anyway, which negates the need to stack Glutamine in the shake, so you'd get what you need there and then and then have either 5-10 before bed and maybe even the extra scoop with breakfast, but if you're having half a scoop of protein powder with breakfast ti boost Protein intake, you wouldn't really need the scoop of Glutamine anyway. A half scoop max, if that.
Michael83
STARTING OUT

Post by Michael83 »

Today I went XC mountain biking instead of the gym. Total pedal-time was probably about an hour and definitely varied in intensity. It felt great to get out in nature again. I even came pretty close to a doe on one trail before it galloped off.
Michael83
STARTING OUT

Post by Michael83 »

Last night I did 20min of HIIT style cardio and worked abs. I felt kind of off and this morning I woke up with a cold (from nieces birthday most likely- kids are so germ ridden haha).