Jen's Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Jen's Journal

Post by Boss Man »

Nice work. keep on going, because you're doing great :).
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

8 hour drive to Nebraska today for a mini-vacation/dr. visit for son... a little stiff from intervals yesterday, but no pain. Sore from lifting, but a good sore. Just ran 1 mile at a 12 min pace to loosen up. I will be biking tomorrow, but taking a day off from running so I can do a 4 mile run on Tuesday.
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

ArtzyJen wrote:8 hour drive to Nebraska today for a mini-vacation/dr. visit for son... a little stiff from intervals yesterday, but no pain. Sore from lifting, but a good sore. Just ran 1 mile at a 12 min pace to loosen up. I will be biking tomorrow, but taking a day off from running so I can do a 4 mile run on Tuesday.
An 8 hour drive would take more out of me than a 4 mile run. :lol:
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Biked about 6 miles at a leisurely pace with husband yesterday. Walked 4 hours at the zoo today, and then came home and ran 3.16 miles of very hilly terrain in about 36 minutes.

Driving home tomorrow. I'll probably do a quick mile or two when I get home and then go to the gym.

Also... in light of the fact that I'm planning on doing a half marathon next year, I decided I'm going to focus on training rather than races in the mean time and only do only two races til the half marathon. I'll do a 5k on December 11th, then possibly a 10k trail run in February. The half marathon is the end of May. I'm focusing on distance and not timing it because I don't want to put pressure on myself for a specific time. I just want to run the race and be able to say I did a half marathon!
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

35 minutes of core work
80 crunches
30 reverse crunches
Back extensions 3/12 w/ 10lb weight
4/20 torso revolutions @ 80lbs
120 Russian twists w/ 10lb weight

Ran 1.28 miles in 14:00 mins.

Recumbent bike for 25 mins- 9 miles- average speed 110 rpms. HR:135

Gotta work off those extra vacation calories. Splurged today and got a burger and tots from Sonic on the way home (lovely restaurant choices in small-town Kansas), but have had relatively little the rest of the day. It will be salads and lean protein for the rest of the week!
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

I am very careful with the back extensions. I ok'd activity with physical therapist (I've had ongoing back issues from an old injury from a car accident 10 years ago- as well as degenerative disc disease and had to go to a physical therapist off and on.) core is stronger than it's ever been and I've worked up for a long time (since March this year) to current activity with regard to back. Thanks for your concern though. :D
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Proof that working out on vacation is soooo worth it: this morning I'm down almost 2 full lbs. from previous low weight!!! :D :D :D :D

As for workout today...I probably will just do a mile or two today and weights/cross training Friday, then try for 4 miles on Saturday.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

If you are using weight for back extension I'm guessing your using the back extension platform.The problem with using that is there is no spinal flexion, you literally need to curl yourself inward at the bottom before returning to the upright position or your not working the muscle that runs along the spinae erector. Multifidus important core muscle.Or you can use a ball in prone position with bent knees, with feet against a wall & flex completely forward until your face is right into the ball & back up.Sets of 80 etc seem excessive, you can do sets of 12 - 15 & have results.
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

I'm not doing 80 reps.... doing 3 sets of 12 reps. But I will definitely try what you suggested with the prone position.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Oh okay, lol, thought gosh she has a lot of spare time ;)
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Ran 5.32 miles in 1:01:24. 11:27 pace - Felt awesome to do for the first time! Never have run that far in life. No pain, just a little stiff tonight.

Gym- Weights and Core

120 russian twists w/ 10# weight
60 crunches
4/20 torso revolutions w/ 80# resistance
3/12 of Bonnie's back extensions

Tricep extension 3/12 45#
Bicep Curls 3/12 55#
Lat Pulldown 3/12 55#
Chest Press 3/12 45#
Seated Row 4/12 55#
Overhead Press 3/12 30#
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Stiffness is okay ;) As long as it doesn't turn into soreness, congrats on your run :)
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

Nice run!!! :D
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Went easy today and ran on a treadmill... And remembered why I hate treadmills so much. Not going anywhere and nothing to see. Ha.
1.7 miles in 22:00-12:56 pace but that did include a .25 mile warm-up walk. Ran 1.45 at a typical 11:30 pace. Felt fine... no pain. :D Just felt understandably tired from yesterday's run.

Did just a few weights/core.

60 crunches
40 reverse crunches
2/20 80# torso revolutions

3/12 Tricep Extensions
3/12 Bicep Curls
(Same # as yesterday)
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

I was planning a nice long run today, but that didn't happen. I've come down with something. Earache, body aches, sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes. Probably Strep throat again. Ugh. :roll: