Jen's Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: Jen's Journal

Post by ArtzyJen »

Still running, and lifting. Not doing cardio besides running right now per instructions by nutritionist. I've cut back on activity and upped calorie intake. Trying to see how I do. On the bright side... running has improved drastically lately and I've been able to average a 9:30 pace for multiple miles. I'm aiming for first sub-30 5k in May. I think it's totally doable seeing that short runs right now are 2.85 miles and I'm doing that in 27 minutes solidly and don't feel like I'm pushing very hard. I checked heart rate just after running last night and it was already down to 120 within 1 minute of slowing to a walk. I need to run with polar strap to get an accurate feel for how hard I'm pushing though.

I'm just sooo stoked that I have shaved off so much time! I started out running at almost a 13 minute pace when I first started running. Even last year I had a 35+ 5k race time and that was second best 5k time. I just wonder what the variable is? What's changed so dramatically to make this possible?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

What's changed is you. Not overdoing it and giving your body more of the necessary time, to develop into a stronger, fitter and more capable machine.

You are becoming more amazing all the time Jen.

WELL DONE I'm really proud of you :).
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

I just did first Triathlon yesterday. A TRIATHLON. I can't even believe I'm saying that. 4 and a half years ago I was 228 lbs and could barely run a mile at that time. Today I'm in the 150s... and I'm a triathlete. Granted, it was just a sprint tri, but the fact that I swam 500m , biked 12 miles, and ran 5k continuously... I wouldn't have believed you if you you'd told me 4 years ago at 27, that I'd be doing triathlons at 31.

Time was 1:53:56. Not the time I wanted, but it was a very very windy day, so biking was tough. Two large, long hills and biking against the wind really brought the time up. I have a feeling I'd be coming in around 1:35 or 1:40 if it weren't for the wind.

I LOOOOVED it though. Loved the process, the training. Even the communal nerves of all of us before the race. The camaraderie of races is something I really enjoy. Everyone is in it together, fast or slow, young or old, you're congratulating each other along the way, high-fiving, urging each other onward. And I'm already planning on an Olympic distance Tri next year. 1500m of swimming (almost a mile EGADS!), Bike 24.9 Miles, Run 6.2 Miles. I can do it! (Although I do think I'll aim for a fall race. :) I was very happy to be running in 75 degree F weather.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Nice work, its always good to see gains in the gym, from adding reps to sets or increasing weight. Awesome work!

Chris

Sorry I was reading some of your earlier posts when I wrote the above.... I completely bypassed your most recent accomplishment. What a challenge and you did great! I hope, despite the exhaustion when you finished, the grin on your face was as big as the crescent moon! WELL DONE!
Last edited by vamp on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Jen, I'm going to tell you something now that perhaps you wouldn't have thought about yet, but I actually think because you did this, you are now a bone fide athlete in eyes. I think you can be considered in the same category as olympic gold medalists and I know you are going to do the other traithlon next year, because I have complete unwavering belief in you.

You are an amazing Lady and you definitely have unconditional support and strength for your decision and if you need any additional motivation or butt kicking then I'll be here for you when I can be.

WELL DONE Jen; you deserve every ounce of pure emotion you got from this result, because you earned it and I am extremely proud of you

Keep psuhing for that triathlon and keep working on your strength and ability, because you are so capable and I want you to keep believing and building on your athletic prowess, because you CAN make more of these kind of moments real and tangible and deserved :).
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

I'm recovered. Day after was rough. I must have been low on potassium because about 24 hours after the race was over, legs started burning like I'd just done an intense workout and started cramping up, so I gorged on potassium and iron rich foods and super-hydrated. Today I start back to routine. Not sure what I'm going to do next as far as events go. I have a little charity run/walk this weekend, but it's not timed and I don't even know the distance. Just doing it to support a friend. I am planning on running the neon glow 5k in Early October, but I've promised less experienced friend that I won't leave her in the dust, so I won't be going for any speed records on that either. I'm thinking I'll run a 5k for speed sometime in November or December and see if I can get sub-30 5k then! For now I'll focus on running and lifting with a day or two of crosstraining a week (either swimming or biking).
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

It is good to do events with friends and to have fun. Support for charity by doing something that you do well is also good..... they keep us in check and keep us remembering that there is more beyond the gym and the open road.

Glad to hear you are feeling more yourself too! Once again, well done!

Chris
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Great job Jen! You have come so far :D That is quite an accomplishment!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Whateer you decide to do I'm sure you'll be fine. Keep believing and no worries, because you're doing brilliantly :).
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

I decided today I'm doing a half marathon at the end of November. I had an amazing run this morning. I'd forgotten how much fall weather energizes running. I can't NOT train for something after I've proven to myself that it's possible for me to train in the time I have. 8 weeks to race day. I'm sitting pretty good at 5 miles easy right now. If I can do 5 miles now, and I have 8 weeks to train, that'll put me at a pretty good set-up for doing 13 by race day.

If I can do a tri, I can do this. Wooooooooo!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Jen, you're a great athlete and I know you'll do this, because you've proven so much to yourself and others.

Your Son is so lucky to have such an amazing, iconic and successful Mother to look up to. You are going to make this happen for yourself, because you have the heart, desire and drive to do it and those are reasons why you completed the triathlon and why you have lost a significant amount of weight.

You're getting, stronger and you're getting fitter wiht time and you have the power to take your body and do so much good with it and show people just what a fine example of the modern female you're turning into.

I couldn't be happier for you with all your achievement and ability, because you're a true Lady and a wonderful human being and I hope this works out for you, because you WILL deserve it and you ARE worth it.

Keep believing Mrs Amazing, chin up, be strong and no worries, because we're all here for you and we will push right up to the race day and I know you'll finish strongly and make another bold statement about yourself :).

GOOD LUCK