Jen's Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: Jen's Journal

Post by ArtzyJen »

Finally got back in the saddle today- 11/20 and ran 2.53 miles in 29 minutes- 11:27 pace. Still recovering from being sick. On antibiotics and feeling better- no symptoms other than feeling more tired than normal- and also found out I'm still deficient in Vitamin D despite best efforts. Now on 10,000 IU a day for 3 more months.

muscles didn't loosen up very well during the run despite stretching at the proper times, and I couldn't get in a decent groove to not feel tired while I was running. Maybe tomorrow.

On a great note: found out I won 3 months free of Boot camp in a drawing, so I'll be going back in December provided I'm healed from surgery! Which is awesome because boot camp is normally $95 a month! I will be nice and buff for 10k trail run in February!!!! :D :D :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It's probaly the same here ot a large extent, mainly down to lifestyle abd sunlight exposure as well.

Jen, you could try Calcitriol, (Synthetic D) and see how that works out.
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Are there some people who just don't absorb Vitamin D? I'm outside about 10 hours a week, and I take 3500 IU a day normally, but D level was so bad after pregnancy (8... and normal range is 30-100) that they put me on 50,000 IU a week for 6 months and I still wasn't absorbing very well. It's taken me nearly 2 years to go from 8 to 23. Now on 10,000 IU a day for 3 months, then recheck again. UGH.

As for today's workout. 3.2 miles in 37 minutes. It was a much easier day. Breathing/aches/tightness... all fine. Working up to a five miler on Tuesday before surgery. Then rest for a week to recover from surgery... then back to boot camp and alternating running days. :) I am pumped for the 10k trail run. I want to be able to run the distance by the beginning of January then actually start training on trails. I've done a bit of trail running, but only about 2-3 miles at a time. I talked to event organizers for the run and was warned that it's a particularly brutal course. I have the option of doing a quarter marathon that's on road and supposedly easier, but I really don't want to wimp out and go the easy way.
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

I hope it's not age... I'm 28! I think most of it has to do with pregnancy. It was horrendous. I had a condition called Hyperemesis Gravidarum- which basically meant I was morning sick and couldn't keep hardly any food down from 4 weeks to delivery. I had a PICC line for the last 5 months of pregnancy for continuous IV Zofran (anti-emetic) and for hydration as I was nearly in a constant state of dehydration. I lost 23 lbs in second trimester due to malnutrition because I couldn't keep anything down and they were very close to putting me on TPN, but I started the IV Zofran and finally kept down about 400-600 calories a day- enough to sustain me through pregnancy. I think not eating for so long just robbed body of all nutrients. I was severely anemic as well and they considered giving me a transfusion but decided against it after getting levels up over a couple of days in the hospital after delivery.
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

4.45 miles in 52 minutes. Felt good. Only stopped due to time constraints. Had to come home and eat last solid meal before surgery tomorrow. Felt like I could have gone for 6 miles!
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

ArtzyJen wrote:I hope it's not age... I'm 28!
just realized I am old enough to be your mother. :shock:
Lesplease wrote:Someone around here says "you're only as old as you feel." It's probably Lynne. She's super active (:
:lol: why thank you Les....us old timers have to keep a positive mindset. :wink: lol! Actually, at age 48, I am feeling better now than I have in a long time. Staying active is the key. :mrgreen:
ArtzyJen wrote:4.45 miles in 52 minutes. Felt good. Only stopped due to time constraints......Felt like I could have gone for 6 miles!
Awesome! :D :D
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

fitoverforty wrote:why thank you Les....us old timers have to keep a positive mindset. :wink: lol!
If you are an old-timer what does that make me? :lol: :lol: :lol:
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Going stir crazy. I'm 5 days post surgery and anxious to run, but I don't want to screw it up and injure myself by doing too much too fast. Hoping to do a nice long walk tomorrow- maybe 4 or 5 miles, then run a little bit Tuesday or Wednesday, then hopefully be up to a nice hard boot camp Friday morning. I've put on about 2 lbs since surgery- some could be swelling, but I don't want to backslide any. Still going for 10 lb weight loss this month. I bought a size 10 pair of jeans that I plan on fitting into by the end of February around the time of 10k/Quarter-marathon. (I'm comfortably fitting a size 12 right now).

Thinking instead of doing the 10k trail run that I might do the quarter marathon offered in the same event. It's a tiny bit longer, but on asphalt and would allow me to get a better idea of pacing for the half in May. boot camp instructor might also have me talked into doing a half marathon on May 1st (instead of or in addition to the May 21st half). I've told myself that if I successfully complete a half in May then I'm training for the Route 66 marathon in November of next year. We shall see. One event at a time. :D
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Yay.... weighed this morning and now within a 1/2 lb of low. :) Thanksgiving did not stay and I'm back on track with Christmas goal! :mrgreen:
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Finally got Dr. release to go back to full exercise yesterday. I haven't gotten back to running yet, but I did manage a 30 minute intense cardio workout at home yesterday and today. Felt good to sweat again! I'm going back to boot camp Friday... I'll hopefully get a run in tomorrow. Oh.... and I hit a new low weight!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Great :)
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

First day back at boot camp in 3 months!

Warm- up: Walking lunges across the room, running laps, reverse lunges.

(Boot Camp Poker)
90 pushups
90 v-ups
90 curl/overhead presses 5# weights
90 tricep dips
100 jumping jacks with 5# weights

90 switch lunges with 5# weights
90 lateral flies with 5# weights
90 burpees
90 curl/overhead presses 5# weights
100 jumping jacks with 5# weights

Felt great other than a shaky ankle that I babied a little bit. Can't believe how much running has improved lung capacity/overall fitness. Just 3 months ago I was the slowest runner in the class and had to stop during sets due to being so out of breath. Now I'm keeping up with the instructor and the same 2 girls who were whipping me (and have been in boot camp the whole time while I've been gone) are falling behind me!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Be proud of yourself, you deserve it :).
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Hahahahaha. Joke was on me. I may have felt good in class, but I'm having one of those so-sore-you-can't-move days today. Guess that shows me how good boot camp is at working me out compared to the gym! I've made myself this sore before, but never whole body before. husband's laughing at me, but I told him he's next. (He's going to start boot camp in January, going to one of the night classes). He's lost all of his weight and is now about to start bulking. I'm pretty proud of him. He dropped from 184 to 163 in about 4 months.

Probably going to try to get a run in today. Not going to push it too terribly hard since it'll be first time running since surgery. Probably just a couple miles.
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

aghhgh. Had most of boot camp workout listed out, then computer wigged out. :x

Warm -up: lunges, reverse lunges, high knees, butt-kickers, grapevines, shuffles

5 minute circuits comprised of 3 different exercises repeated 10 times, then 25 jumping jacks with 5 lb weights. We repeated the sets as many times as possible. (I counted a total of 19 sets- so that means around 475 jumping jacks alone!)

Here's a listing of some if not all of the exercises...
curls, lat raises, front raises, flys, chest presses, push-ups, sit-ups, bench jumps, cross-fit burpees, inverted push-ups, mountain climbers, wall jumps, squat punches, axe chops (middle and side), russian twists, and probably more I can't remember.

Felt good other than getting a little winded on bench jumps and burpees. (I hate burpees!!!!!) And arms felt like jello after doing that many jumping jacks with weights.