Sam's fitness journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Sammel85
STARTING OUT

Sam's fitness journal

Post by Sammel85 »

Well I've decided to suck it up and write one of these, so it might (EDIT: has) end up a little long. I'm always embarrassed about letting people know that I'm working out because I used to get a lot of negative reactions from the family for doing it (e.g. dad: "haha, you? going for a run? like to see that..." and another example, I asked for a weights set one Christmas, I was laughed at, and then I was given a bunch of clothing instead and brother got a weights set to help him with his football training) :oops: It put me off training until I moved out of home. Even now I don't tell people I train, only boyfriend knows and that's because I go with him. So please don't mock what I do, but feel free to give advice :)

Here is a list of what I am trying to achieve, all are focused towards a karate grading and/or competition during November/December:

1. To be accepted for 2nd kyu Brown Belt Grading
I have just returned to training after 2 years out since knee operation. The ones I used to train with have recently obtained their black belt, I've fallen behind, I want to catch up (even though I've got up to 3 years to go) and currently I'm the closet female to ever achieve it in the club.

2. To be able to do 50 knuckle push ups
It's a requirement for the males to be able to do this for a grading. I was very offended when I was told that future gradings will not be focused as heavily on fitness and fighting form as males are. I told them I want the exact same grading, no exceptions. Now I have to live up to it.

3. To (more than) survive 20 rounds of contact fighting
grading involves 20 x 2 minute contact fights against black belts, ALL of which are . Not sure how I will test and achieve this one before the grading yet.

4. To be able to run 6 km without stopping
A lifelong goal for me and the closest I ever got was 4 km just over 8 years ago. Quite pathetic, but I want to get there still. Also it will help with fitness training.

5. To weigh under 65 kg - lose 8 kg of body mass
If I make it to nationals again this year, I need to weigh under 65 kg for the best opportunities (the 'better' competitors are NOT in the heavy weight category where I am, that category is full of obese and middle aged women, I'm intimidated to fight them because I get pulled up for "excessive contact" way too much, so I back off)

At the moment I will be focusing on getting back into the swing of things. Weight training I'm alright with as I've been doing it regularly since May 2010, but have taken the past two months off due to work stress and a holiday. Now that they're both over, back into it :)

The plan right now is:
Monday - Karate training
Tuesday - Upper body weight training, P90X Ab Ripper, C25k
Wednesday - Lower body weight training
Thursday - P90X Ab Ripper, C25k
Friday - Karate training
Saturday - Upper body weight training, P90X Ab Ripper, C25k
Sunday - rest!

I'm only doing the lower body workout once a week for a trial. I used to do it twice a week and jeans were getting tighter and tighter around thighs. Hoping cutting out a day will prevent that. Upper body is twice a week to help to build strength there for karate. Core is three times a week since this is weak point. core used to be the strongest part of body, but when I started getting back issues, I avoided all core work. Now it's really weak. The C25k is from the absolute beginning, and it will make me take puppy out for more exercise too. Karate training I wish I could do more, but I teach Wednesday and Thursday nights when other training is on. I might do own stuff afterwards if I'm not too tired.

diet consists of:
Breakfast - 3 egg whites + 1 yolk scrambled with a dash of Zymill/Soy milk and pepper, a glass of Zymill milk, 6 almonds and one slice of bread with a smidgen of margarine
Snack - Soy Life yoghurt with 3 almonds (only have about 15 min break with work at the moment)
Lunch - Tuna sandwich, Chicken Salad, Vegetable burger (protein enhanced) or Quesadilla (once a week)
Post Workout Snack - 2 scoops Hydroxy Ripped protein powder with 200mL Zymill/Soy milk and a medium sized banana
Dinner - Chicken Stirfry, Spaghetti Bolognaise, Fish and Vegetables, Chicken and Rice or Chilli (rotating day by day with Fish on lightest workout days but always freshly made and homemade sauces too)

I tried eating the above for one week, minimal exercise and I lost 500g :) more than when I work arse off and eat what I feel like.

I'll be back for an update to tell you how it's all going, but for right now:
Weight - 73.8 kg
BMI - 25.5
Body fat % - 28.9%
Waist - 72 cm
Hips - 103.5 cm
Running distance - no idea yet
Knuckle push ups - 4

Wish me luck 8)
Sammel85
STARTING OUT

Re: Sam's fitness journal

Post by Sammel85 »

Here are two photos. The first I took on January 28th, at that time, I was just about to start getting back into training after having a couple of months off. The second was taken today on the 13th of February. The time between the two was just over two weeks.

ImageImage

I've changed a little. In the second image, waist has decreased by 2cm and abdominal body fat by 2mm. hips are slightly bigger (1cm) and overall body fat has increased slightly - I'm not sure if this is because I have difficulty measuring tricep fat
I'm not sure if it's because I'm standing in the bath to take these, but hips look out of line :?
AFXStyle
STARTING OUT

Post by AFXStyle »

Sam,

First off, do not be embarrassed about training. We are here to support you, I hope our support will help keep you motivated and help you reach your goals.

Now onto your training,

I do not think you should worry so much about losing weight. You are an athlete, you need to train like one. Weight loss will come with the proper training and diet.

If you don't mind, I would like some more details on your training, specifically, your lower body days, and your upper body days. I know you stated that on upper body days you are doing p90X, what is this program having you do?
It's a requirement for the males to be able to do this for a grading. I was very offended when I was told that future gradings will not be focused as heavily on fitness and fighting form as males are. I told them I want the exact same grading, no exceptions. Now I have to live up to it.
Your above statement is awesome, and I applaud you for that. Do not let them set your standards, I want you to set that standards for all others to follow.

I will be checking back in, I am looking forward to seeing your updates.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Danny
Last edited by AFXStyle on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Men may have some advantages strength wise due to genetics, but you need to take your focus OFF of the differences & focus on your own strength.If you chose to be tested equal to a man, which I see nothing wrong with personally, then you need to train hard.

In regards to the comment about middle aged women, offensive seriously.

The diet has a lot of " soy milk "I'm not familiar with soy milk. However if it has the sugar & carbohydrate content that animal milk has, you might want to substitute water in some area's.

No one would ever think negatively about someone choosing to workout in this forum, that is why we are all here, after all.Good luck.
Sammel85
STARTING OUT

Post by Sammel85 »

Bonnie wrote:In regards to the comment about middle aged women, offensive seriously.
Sorry, this isn't meant to be offensive, but most women that age participating are only doing so for their children or for the social side and not much else. I don't enjoy going up against them because I'm trying to be serious about sport and they're not. I feel like it's not worth the bother at times competing because I'm too heavy to be in the younger group. It's nothing against middle aged women in general, it's against the group I don't enjoy competing against. No offense intended.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Oh okay well I understand now.Though don't be to worried, you just made me want to take up karate so I could hand some young person their a$$ :) Rather motivational, no problem.
Sammel85
STARTING OUT

Post by Sammel85 »

AFXStyle wrote:First off, do not be embarrassed about training. We are here to support you, I hope our support will help keep you motivated and help you reach your goals.
Thank you :)
AFXStyle wrote:If you don't mind, I would like some more details on your training, specifically, your lower body days, and your upper body days. I know you stated that on upper body days you are doing p90X, what is this program having you do?
I'm not sure if I'm doing too much or not enough, but I feel great afterwards.

Upper body:
Barbell bench press
Barbell bent over rows
Dumbbell flyes
Dumbbell reverse flyes
Dumbbell shoulder press
Barbell upright rows
Dumbbell triceps kickback
Dumbbell bicep curls

Lower body:
Barbell back squats
Barbell good mornings
Dumbbell sumo squats
Barbell straight leg dead lift
Dumbbell walking lunges
Swiss ball leg curl
Barbell standing calf raises

The P90X Ab Ripper is an abdominal workout that goes for 16 minutes. I can't do it all (yet) because it's quite intense, but I feel more of a burn doing this than straight ab work.
AFXStyle wrote:
Your above statement is awesome, and I applaud you for that. Do not let them set your standards, I want you to set that standards for all others to follow.
Thanks :D I really want to prove to them that I can do it. The next two females who are at level, one has been told she probably won't grade again (she doesn't have the dedication and won't do anything to improve her skills or fitness), the second is moving interstate in a couple of months. So I will be the only one grading at this level for at least another 2-3 years.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

This article may be helpful.Guess I should use this opportunity to learn this sports specific element also, in case I one day have a client in a similar situation :)

http://www.theshotokanway.com/supplemen ... ingp1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AFXStyle
STARTING OUT

Post by AFXStyle »

Sam,

It is great to know that you take your sport, and your training seriously. That is sometimes the downfall of some athletes, they do not take their training serious.

Now, I looked over your training routine. You are off to a great start! and I can definitely tell you are working hard! There are a few suggestions I would like to give if you did not mind. I would like to make sure it is ok with you before I post them.

Keep up the good work!

Danny
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

It sounds like you have a lot of great goals, good luck!

I have the ab ripper x workout but haven't tried it yet. I will have to try it this week. :)
Sammel85
STARTING OUT

Post by Sammel85 »

AFXStyle wrote:Now, I looked over your training routine. You are off to a great start! and I can definitely tell you are working hard! There are a few suggestions I would like to give if you did not mind. I would like to make sure it is ok with you before I post them.
That's fine Danny, I need some input because I know I tend to do too much too quick and advice would be great.
AFXStyle
STARTING OUT

Post by AFXStyle »

Sam,

Currently you have your training days broken up like this
Sammel85 wrote:The plan right now is:
Monday - Karate training
Tuesday - Upper body weight training, P90X Ab Ripper, C25k
Wednesday - Lower body weight training
Thursday - P90X Ab Ripper, C25k
Friday - Karate training
Saturday - Upper body weight training, P90X Ab Ripper, C25k
Sunday - rest!
suggestion for you is this. It is not to different from you already have.

Monday- Karate training- This can stay, you never want your training to compromise your skill work. You can do some dynamic warm ups before and some static range of motion work after.
Tuesday- This day needs to be your training day-It will focus on developing you as an athlete. You workout for that day would something like this.
  • Warm up- jump rope/ dynamic range of motion/ hip mobility work/ GPP (general Physical preparation
    You will then get into your main lifts for the day or your (focus lifts) these lifts will consist of different hybrid olympic lifts, such as, squat, hang clean, hang snatch, push press,
    You then have you supplemental lifts you perform after you focus lifts. These consist of, hi-box step ups, bulgarian split squats, pull ups, push ups, wheelbarrow walks, shoulder capsule (int/ext rotations) bent over row. There is many many more you can do.
    You follow up with static range of motion work, and finish with your core work.
On Wednesday you can take the day off, or you can perform a recovery work out that consist of medicine ball work. I can't explain the circuit on this post because of the detail explanations it would take, but if you would like more information on medicine ball work I can get something together for you.
Thursday will be a training day similar to Tuesday. The exercises you do will be different.
Friday you will have karate
Saturday I would suggest a recovery day, or you can take the day off. If you train Wednesday, then you should take Saturday off.
Then Sunday is your day off as well.

I know this probably does not make much sense, and I apologize. There is a lot of detail and explaining that goes into this program.

I can get a more detailed program together if you are interested, just let me know.

Danny