Aitrus' Very Generic Training Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

if tou're on rippletoe's program then the vol is very low and may not provide a lot of actual muscle mass initially but you with a bench at 130 (not knocking) you need to get stronger...how big could you get with 130pd benches do you think?

cutting phases is a well a ways off for you to...heavy lifting can get you feeking a bit iffy so maube rest a bit more btw sets...pre workout eating may need to be better too...you could eat more too...add protein to meal 2 and fruit as well

you don't need a lot of exerciss too...you'll get 80% of your results from the 20% of the exercises you use such as the one's now
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Gotta defend that bench, the guy was doing 115 2 weeks ago for a 5RM, he's up 15lbs. That makes about a 145 1RM. So the guy is basically going 5 reps in 2 weeks on his previous 1RM, not too bad.
How are you working the progressions?
Don't even think about cutting, you are not even close. You need to build the foundation before you knock down the house.
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Christopheel wrote:You look like someone who just needs to eat big. That's the missing part I believe.

For nausea, a better breathing, can you take a video ? We can help you then.

Cut phase (Reducing ) is for women or really fat men, eat food, lift the heavy barbell.

For your program, are you gaining ? are getting stronger ? If yes then stick to it.
Nice to see you got your internet back LOL.
How's things, message me if you don't want to highjack
/end highjack
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

DianaB wrote:Gotta defend that bench, the guy was doing 115 2 weeks ago for a 5RM, he's up 15lbs. That makes about a 145 1RM. So the guy is basically going 5 reps in 2 weeks on his previous 1RM, not too bad.
Don't even think about cutting, you are not even close. You need to build the foundation before you knock down the house.
I know that much.. Once I have a hundred lbs on each of lifts though (probably some time next year-- I hope, anyways) would that be a point at which to begin cutting?

With current diet and exercise program will I gain a lot of fat with lifting? (I began at 16.5%bf, no idea where I stand now)... I don't see how it could go up, but some people talk about putting on fat instead of lean gains.. So I would rather just gain lean and not have to worry about losing anything later on.

*shrugs* And I know 130 is pretty small, but I am still workin on it =o I've doubled bench since I started, and once I double it again--probably not as easy as I think it will be right about now but-- I'll be satisfied with the amount of work I've put in =o

I'm pretty much a novice at all this, but I'd like to understand more of what will happen physiologically which is why I'm asking =)
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Aitrus wrote:
DianaB wrote:Gotta defend that bench, the guy was doing 115 2 weeks ago for a 5RM, he's up 15lbs. That makes about a 145 1RM. So the guy is basically going 5 reps in 2 weeks on his previous 1RM, not too bad.
I know that much.. Once I have a hundred lbs on each of lifts though (probably some time next year-- I hope, anyways) would that be a point at which to begin cutting?

With current diet and exercise program will I gain a lot of fat with lifting? (I began at 16.5%bf, no idea where I stand now)... I don't see how it could go up, but some people talk about putting on fat instead of lean gains.. So I would rather just gain lean and not have to worry about losing anything later on.

*shrugs* And I know 130 is pretty small, but I am still workin on it =o I've doubled bench since I started, and once I double it again--probably not as easy as I think it will be right about now but-- I'll be satisfied with the amount of work I've put in =o

I'm pretty much a novice at all this, but I'd like to understand more of what will happen physiologically which is why I'm asking =)
Just keep your diet clean and save the hamburgers and stuff for special occasions. Be sure to eat your COMPLEX carbs and don't under estimate the power of the PWO meal. It's a must.
The thing a lot of guys are chasing is to get strong and gain muscle without gaining some fat. To make gains, you are going to gain some fat. As long as you aren't all worried about that, you'll do fine. If you keep your diet clean and eat at the correct times, you won't end up with a butt load of fat to lose. Don't depend on the scale, use the mirror. And keep in mind that your age is the best right now for making gains, you can cut the rest of your life but the muscle that you put on right now will make a huge difference in your metabolic rate for years to come.
Physiologically, your body is changing on a cellular level and adapting to exercise, progression is not linear but comes in sporadic events. If you want to know more about the science, google the GAS and SAID principles.
Be patient and measure your success in performance right now, the "growth spurt" will come and they are usually fairly impressive.
Christopheel
REGULAR

Post by Christopheel »

Aitrus wrote:
Christopheel wrote:You look like someone who just needs to eat big. That's the missing part I believe.

For nausea, a better breathing, can you take a video ? We can help you then.

Cut phase (Reducing ) is for women or really fat men, eat food, lift the heavy barbell.

For your program, are you gaining ? are getting stronger ? If yes then stick to it.
I eat.. BELIEVE me when I tell you I eat.. Today thus far...
Breakfast-> whey shake with 2cups of milk, 1cup berries + 3eggs scrambled with cheese
Midmorn snack-> handfull of cashews (or something similar)
Lunch-> Whole grain sandwich, turkey or chicken
Afternoon Snack-> 1/2c vanilla yogurt with fruit OR bread+peanutbutter
Dinner-> 2 sirloin burgers on whole grain buns with a mandarin orange salad and some grilled veggies
and I'll definitely eat again before bed. Probably some tortillas+guacamole or something.. Meh!

This is just an outline... but I pretty much eat similarly to this every day(some days a great deal better, others a bit worse).. Dunno what calorie consumption is, but it keeps me full.

And ya, getting stronger steadily.. but not sure what to make of it.. I want to get a lot stronger than I am currently... probably 100lbs to each of lifts(currently) will make me satisfied, but I also want to get ripped abs and a really cut back/chest.. and I'm wondering how long that may take :D
This isn't eating and your carb timing is not good at all.

Muscle burn fat. Having muscle makes you more muscular. So think about building muscles when you will need a cut phase in maybe what 5 years then you can do it

And Diana, Yes I just got internet back ahah
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Basically speaking, tape measure yourself and keep track with photos in your bathing suit of front side and back as well. That way you really know where you were compared to where you are.

First comes strength and then size and then "ripped" look. So be patient and keep it up. You have had significant gains and a long road ahead for more so keep it up! You are definately on the right track.

For more information on your diet you could always check out the diet and nutrition forum here and the sticky "read this before posting". There is great info in there.

Great work on the pull ups! A month and a half ago I started unassisted chin ups with neutral grip (like holding a hammer), I could do 4 sets of 2 reps in a circuit style routine. Currently I am doing 6, 5, 5 and 4. I weigh 230lbs. Dips I can do four sets of 10 now unassisted. I got back into excercising at the beginning of may 2008 for the first time since I was 18 (now 34) bench in may I was struggling to do 10 reps 3 times at 135 lbs, now I'm at 3 sets at 190 for 10 reps and 5 repm is around 220lbs. This is just to show you that it takes time and patience and that you will acheive your goals. Muscle takes time to grow! Keep it up!

Despite gains, without pics and tape measuring I would barely see the difference in the mirror and since May I have only lost 10lbs. If I only used a scale I would be getting pretty discouraged by now!

Cheers and keep it up!
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

I'd like to know why carb timing sucks... I eat dinner either before or after I work out which is where a lot of carbs are.

and for the burger comment, most days dinner is chicken/pork or steak.. but burgers are a relatively cheap alternative and are still fairly high in protein, if very high in fat.

I'd also like some decent examples of complex carbs..
I eat brown rice/couscous/stone grain pasta-bread-etc/pita.. most of carb consumption is low-medium GI.. So dunno if that is what it should be?
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

By burgers, I mean the fast food type, lean ground beef is good stuff. What time do you train at?
Me, I'm not crazy with counting macros and shit. Tried that, it just gives me a headache. Just make sure you eat some carbs in the morning, steel cut oatmeal is awesome, a good meal before training that includes some complex carbs for fuel, and a PWO shake with a simple carb & protein blend. Follow up with your dinner meal within 90 minutes. Don't be worried about eating complex carbs, enjoy them and have some fruit during the day too.
The carb sources you listed are good as long as you stay away from packaged and processed foods and sugars, you'll do fine. You might want to add in some more green veggies, put spinach in your morning eggs, it's awesome. Sweet potatoes PWO are also very good to have with your sirloin burgers.
Aitrus
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Aitrus »

DianaB wrote:By burgers, I mean the fast food type, lean ground beef is good stuff. What time do you train at?
Me, I'm not crazy with counting macros and shit. Tried that, it just gives me a headache. Just make sure you eat some carbs in the morning, steel cut oatmeal is awesome, a good meal before training that includes some complex carbs for fuel, and a PWO shake with a simple carb & protein blend. Follow up with your dinner meal within 90 minutes. Don't be worried about eating complex carbs, enjoy them and have some fruit during the day too.
The carb sources you listed are good as long as you stay away from packaged and processed foods and sugars, you'll do fine. You might want to add in some more green veggies, put spinach in your morning eggs, it's awesome. Sweet potatoes PWO are also very good to have with your sirloin burgers.
Yea, i dont do the fast food thing very much.. once or twice a month cheat food is the crunch wrap from taco bell with supreme fries! heh.

I always do PWO meal within 90mins (read article on tnation about catabolic body state post work out).. but am reading that you should delay your fat intake and IMMEDIATELY intake protein after workout... if that is the case I've probably been doing it a bit wrong.

Never thought about sweet potatoes.. May try that!

I like spinach, but its hard to keep! Seems to go bad very quickly, long before I consume it all at least.
DianaB
REGULAR

Post by DianaB »

Buy frozen and nuke it for 2 minutes, them scramble with eggs and cheese, delish! I put cottage cheese in mine too.
Take your shake, which should not contain fat, right away after training. I bring hand blender to the gym if the one I'm going to doesn't have the facilities to make me a shake. No ice, but that's OK.
Just make sure your PWO shake has some carbs in it, about 25g of maltodexterin is good for weight, you might want a bit more. That's ALL the shake should have, besides whey isolate of course. Whey isolate has a higher BV rating than just plain old whey. It a bit more expensive, but worth it. Cheap whey usually has added soy and it makes for wicked stinky farts too.
Some fat is fine with your PWO meal. Like the fat you find in lean meat cuts, oily fish etc. As long as it's real food, not fried crap, you'll be fine.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Easiest way to know if food is good..... the closer it is to its raw-just picked or cut or killed-the better it is for you. Of course, cut the fat off, consume nuts moderately, steam, grill and bake rather than fry or eat it raw. Who says you have to cook your veggies for dinner? Eat a brocoli salad or carot sticks or a spinich salad. Its your food, eat it how you want it!

I hate cooked turnip and rutibeggas but cut 'em up raw and keep them in water in the fridge and I got a tasty addition to any meal or salad or for a small snack.

Cheers
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- gains are good but i'm just emphasising what he needs to do at this time
- if you keep training to get strong and eat clean then you'll get bigger and more defined from that by itself without actually trying...most athlete's train to get stronger and their muscle mass is a by product of their strength training
- people put on fat because they think that being on a "bulk" (hate that term) means they can eat shit
Christopheel
REGULAR

Post by Christopheel »

swanso5 wrote:- gains are good but i'm just emphasising what he needs to do at this time
- if you keep training to get strong and eat clean then you'll get bigger and more defined from that by itself without actually trying...most athlete's train to get stronger and their muscle mass is a by product of their strength training
- people put on fat because they think that being on a "bulk" (hate that term) means they can eat shit
I like the last statement, CT from T-Nation wrote an article about this not long ago ...
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Another reason people put on fat, is because 150lb dudes, think if they want to be 180lbs+ they should eat like it. This just causes huge caloric excesses, that convert to Fat.

Such excesses get lower over time the more strength the person attains, and the more calories they need to keep growing, but if you're someone who wants to be 180lbs+, why become 180 lbs with about 6lbs of fat on, instead of 180 with 2lbs of Fat on?

Put it on, struggle to get it off.