Lu's Workout Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Bonnie
VETERAN

Re: Lu's Workout Journal

Post by Bonnie »

Lol...I recall in school weights instructor said " no one should walk down the stairs " due to this reason...so I was avoiding stairs...till I hit the personal training course, where they said YES obviously you need to train for ability for going downstairs, going uphill & downhill...was kinda funny really.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

up stairs?
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

No I didn't avoid upstairs..though the knee is out in front on those too.I just tried picking foot up like a stair, impossible to do without knee first.Basic things tend to elude me..
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

but when you move up it does go over your toes

fact is matter, knees can, and do go over the toes
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Yep :)
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

very true leso, good pick up
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Wow - all this over a post that Bossman made that was clearly talking about squats, not walking or going up and down stairs....of course there are times where your knee goes over your toes, but the fact remains that you do not want that to happen when you are doing squats. I would think we are all in agreement on that. :D

2 more days for me on the second 17 day cycle. weight loss slowed considerably when adding to daily intake natural starches, but I'm still thrilled with the 16 pounds I've lost so far. The next cycle includes pretty much all healthy foods but with portion control, even with the lean proteins which were "all you wanted" before. I need to step up exercise if I want to speed up weight loss. If at the end of this cycle I haven't lost the remaining 11 pounds, I will then revert back to the first cycle. We'll see.....if I do lose the remaining 11 lbs, I move to maintenance..... I feel good, I look much better, tummy is almost gone! The last 11 pounds are solidly attached to thighs! LOL These are the hardest to get rid of, but even thighs, butt and legs look 100% better than they did when I started. I'm hoping to post a really great picture once I'm done.

Have a great day!
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

the point is that the knees can over the toes when you squat which is perfectly safe and it's actually the proper way to do it
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Well, that's contrary to everything I've heard and learned - it's amazing how each "expert" in the field differs on these things. It's guess even you Swanso may have changed course throughout your career on many things as you learn more.

Ideally you should keep your feet under your knees. However for individuals who lack ankle dorsifilexion, you can place the feet slightly in front of the knees.

In most text I've read you should also stand with your feet shoulder length apart, toes pointing forward, knees over your second and third toes. You Slowly begin to squat, bending knees and flexing hips, keeping feet straight (although slightly out is ok with me). You should not allow knees to move inward, and keep your navel drawn in. Keep chest up and put pressure through your heels. When you rise back up you contract glutes and place pressure through the heels as knees are extended. Stand straight up until hips and legs are fully extended. Avoid compensation in low back or lower extemities.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

Ideally you should keep your feet under your knees. However for individuals who lack ankle dorsifilexion, you can place the feet slightly in front of the knees.
that doesn't really make sense, wouldn't you just sit back more? for lack of ankle mobility you'd:

1 - turn the feet out

then if you had

2 - add a heel lift
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

swanso5 wrote:that doesn't really make sense, wouldn't you just sit back more? for lack of ankle mobility you'd:

1 - turn the feet out

then if you had

2 - add a heel lift
Maybe - but I thought I'd add 2 cents - we may both be right ;)
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

last day on the second 17 day stint - and I blew it! Guess dreams of eating Cheese It's came true :( Oh well, if that's the worst thing I've done I'm good! :):) I HAD to have some....but I'll be back on track tomorrow. The 3rd cycle includes all food group exercising portion control. I didn't see peanut butter ANYWHERE!!! Maybe in the maintenance cycle - you have to have some PB :shock:

I only lost 3 lbs in the last 17 days which is disappointing (I weigh in tomorrow morning for a final number)- but over all 16 pounds in 34 days isn't anything to gripe about. I'm ready and willing to go back to cycle 1 after I finish 3 if needed.
There is a huge change in body so I'm very excited!
Have a great day!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

3lbs in 17 days is good. Most people should be aiming for 2lbs a week, but if you're getting a bit of muscle of as well, that might have something to do with it.

You might have lost 5lbs in that timeframe, but don't sniff at 3lbs, that's pretty decent :).

Good for you.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

According to the philosophy of this diet, at any time a person wants to lose more weight, return to the first 17 day restrictive phase. In fact the doctor himself said on a video " we all want to fit into a piece of clothing we used to " so just go back to the first phase. It also stresses you can eat the food you enjoy on weekends. If one is eating right you should be able to FIT all your clothes, unless your weight is going up & down. I don't have the book so I have no idea what " eating the foods you enjoy " on the weekend entails, sounds enticing to me though. Diet all week & eat what you want on the weekend ? A book selling feature for sure.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I admit, that is a fairly random statement, as it isn't particularly very specific. It doesn't even imply moderation. Unless it implies the ones you like the most that you had during the week.