Lu's Workout Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Bonnie
VETERAN

Re: Lu's Workout Journal

Post by Bonnie »

pmsl...allison :D
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Bonnie wrote:According to the philosophy of this diet, at any time a person wants to lose more weight, return to the first 17 day restrictive phase. In fact the doctor himself said on a video " we all want to fit into a piece of clothing we used to " so just go back to the first phase. It also stresses you can eat the food you enjoy on weekends. If one is eating right you should be able to FIT all your clothes, unless your weight is going up & down. I don't have the book so I have no idea what " eating the foods you enjoy " on the weekend entails, sounds enticing to me though. Diet all week & eat what you want on the weekend ? A book selling feature for sure.
Yes, this diet encourages going back to Cycle 1 if you have not reached your goal weight at the end of Cycle 3. Cycle 4 is the maintenance cycle...and you will never go back to bad eating habits....and YES, if you've met your goal weight when you get to the Cycle 4 you can enjoy your favorite foods on the weekends,everything of course is in moderation. The third cycle which I am in now includes all food groups and focuses on portion control. You aren't expected to lose weight as quickly as the first or second cycle, but you can ramp up your aerobic exercise, continue not to eat carbs after 2 PM and continue to pass on alcohol to help speed up the loss of weight.
Boss Man wrote:I admit, that is a fairly random statement, as it isn't particularly very specific. It doesn't even imply moderation. Unless it implies the ones you like the most that you had during the week.
Of course Bonnie hasn't read the book - the book clearly states "In moderation" which you would expect unless it was written by a non-qualified individual vs a respected doctor.
amatlack wrote: I have to give it to a guy who will write the words "boob flab." :wink:
I don't get it :?

I had a great dinner tonight (recipe in the book) called Low- Carb Primavera Delight...and it WAS delightful!
Ingredients:

1 Spaghetti Squash, 2 Cups Chopped Broccoli, 1 Small Onion Chopped, 2 diced Garlic cloves and 1 T olive oil.
Spaghetti Squash is a great substitute for pasta. Cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and pulp as you would with any squash or pumpkin. Place it in a glass baking dish with about 1/2 inch of water, rind side up. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes. Separate strands in a separate bowl.

In medium frying pan, saute broccoli, onion, garlic and oil until veggies are crisp tender. Add squash and heat thoroughly. Serve on plates topped with heated marinara sauce. Makes 4 servings.

Still down 16 lbs. I feel great and look a ton better than when I started, fitting nicely into clothes I haven't worn for awhile. I highly recommend The 17 Day Diet to anyone who needs a step by step daily menu driven plan, someone who doesn't want to weigh their food or count calories..it works!
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

amatlack wrote:It's in the book, in chapter 1, in the list near the back of the chapter. He says something about "boob flab" being the first to go. I just thought it was funny. :)
Oh~! I must've missed it. Damn, I NEED all the boob flab I've got! LOL
amatlack wrote:I skimmed through the book last night. I don't think it's for me...mainly because I eat like that pretty much anyway. Cutting out sugar and alcohol for me won't make a difference because I don't eat them anyway! :) But I will pass the book along to parents. I think mom will like it. Hopefully it will at least encourage them to make the changes I've been suggesting for years....
Yep, it's not for everyone. I agree, I was eating pretty much the same except when I cheated and binged, but for me I needed that step by step daily menu driven plan. I couldn't seem to stay on course before. I have to admit I was surprised that it worked so well for me in the first cycle because I was no longer eating processed foods, gave up sugar and soda's several years ago....always drinking water, so I figured results wouldn't be as drastic - possibly that's why weight loss slowed in the second cycle. I'm still happy with it, any weight loss is good - and will keep going until I hit goal weight. At a minimum it just reinforces a continued lifetime of good eating habits.
Went for a long walk yesterday on the boardwalk at Ocean Beach - not too many people out, it was a bit brisk, but felt good. I imagined summertime with tons of people flocking to the sand - ahhhh, I can't wait for warm weather :)

Today I'm going to a new Chiropractor for shoulder. Ever since our numerous snow storms right shoulder, arm and even hand (especially thumb) have experienced increased pain and discomfort. I can't even turn the lock on our front door with thumb it's so weak. I shouldn't have shoveled, but I really had no choice as husband was sick in bed the entire time, not that he should be shoveling either - it's tough getting older :roll:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'd say you've either got a circulatory issue, or a nervous issue, so either a slightly impinged nerve affecting some sort of muscle action, or something blocking an arterial pathway, reducing bloodflow.

That's only a couple of hypothetical possibilities though. Hopefully you'll get sorted out soon.

Good luck and whatever you can still do lifestyle wise, stick at it and try not to worry too much yeah :).
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

I think most of problem is related to torn rotator cuff - not sure about thumb...doesn't seem related. I go tomorrow for treatment - I like this guy so we'll see!

Today walked at least 4 miles, its sooo beautiful today! I walk the river over to downtown and back again. It's a really nice walk. I did some sprints along the way, but I was clearly dragging on the way back :( I can't imagine running for 2-6 miles!! You runners ROCK!

We're going out for corned beef and cabbage , not sure that corned beef is on list of things to eat, but everything in moderation ;) I'll skip the potatoes even though I CAN have them today - I just don't want them. Maybe I'll change mind though.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Last edited by ldematto on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i think its all related to what caused the rotator cuff injury, they don't just snap for no reason such as thoracic extension rot, pec minor tightness and just overall dodgy posture, especially in the upper body
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

swanso5 wrote:i think its all related to what caused the rotator cuff injury, they don't just snap for no reason such as thoracic extension rot, pec minor tightness and just overall dodgy posture, especially in the upper body
It was discussed a long time ago so you probably don't remember, but I hurt myself around 30-35 years ago playing tennis - after a 5 hour round robin I went to serve the ball and found myself crouched over in pain and couldn't move. Over the years I was limited - when I coached baseball I could only pitch a few balls before the pain came back - and most recently when I started lifting weights.

Went to chiropractor today, he warmed shoulder/arm and then he cracked neck (scared the crap out of me!) stretched neck area and used some metal thing that was the shape of a tongue depressor on shoulder area and hand. Apparently the motion using some kind of gel was working out scar tissue...can't remember what the process was called. I have to admit I feel more flexible and it did relieve the pain somewhat.

Off for another walk - it's a little cooler but still a beautiful day. Enjoy your day!
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Lesplease wrote:Graston?
That's it~! Have some black and blues to prove it too :shock:

I don't think I want neck cracked again - while I must admit it felt better it really scares me - I've heard some horror stories.

Went off diet this weekend, and heading to Florida on Wednesday so knowing me food intake won't be bad, but won't be the best while on vacation. We will be bringing our workout gear so hopefully we'll be able to continue our exercise program or at a minimum go for some great walks.

Les - I'll be looking for signs - you must be there now? Let me know if you decide to stay a few more days ;)
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

The diet is supposed to be a lifestyle ? How do you just go OFF your diet ?
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Bonnie wrote:The diet is supposed to be a lifestyle ? How do you just go OFF your diet ?
Please refrain from reading and responding to posts. Thank you.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Not a problem for me.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Good Morning~!

Today marks the 41st day of The 17 Day Diet that husband and I began in February, 7 days into the 3rd Cycle. Cycle 1 was extremely successful with me losing 13 lbs and Rick losing 17. We each lost a few more in Cycle 2, in total me 16 and him 22, but as we've added food to our daily intake our bodies screamed for more. We both had no problems with the limited food in the first cycle, we weren't hungry and were satisfied with food we were able to eat. In the 3rd cycle with all food groups available I reverted back to the 5-6 small meals. But then BAM! I got hit with the need to munch - so the first thing I saw (and ate!) was the Dr. Mike's Cookies, FOUR of them! Definitely a no, no! So, OFF diet I went :( At 128 Calories a piece I'd used up the majority of daily allowance with cookies alone, clearly more than the 2 daily servings of carbs :oops: At this point I think I need to start over again and will do so after we return from Florida. I don't eat junk, haven't for 2 plus years (for the most part) - eating healthy is definitely part of life, as it should be for all. However I am human (like all of us)........I have ups and downs. I lived 56 years eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, not really thinking about the health benefits. I was physically fit through forties, always active but never engaged in any exercise programs per se. I was lucky, genetics played a huge part in well being. I never used drugs, but I did smoke. Gave that up 3 years ago this past January. I come here for camaraderie and support, I've met some great friends and have yet to meet more. We all come from different backgrounds, each with our own baggage and demons. I learned long ago that if someone asks you for help, you offer suggestions, sometimes using the I message, "This worked for me" stuff...never telling someone what to do or that they are wrong or criticizing the path they take - what works for one may not work for another. And just because I may have found something that works for me, it may not work for you. I'm proud of what I have accomplished and I will still fight the fight - I haven't met goal yet and will do everything I can to get there. And I'm so proud of all of you for the hard work and perseverance you have shown in managing your own struggles and demons. And I thank you for sharing your battles with me, helping me with own.

I'll close with a quote from Benjamin Disraeli:

"The greatest good we can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own"
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You're a good person Lu, so keep up the fight and don't stop being you. It's not perfect, but it is very human and you wouldn't be the same person any other way, which would be of detriment to the world if you were.

I am always proud of the Ladies on here, because I know sometimes how much harder it is for them. Sometimes partners offering little to no support, female friends being bitchy or demanding of your vital you time, or negative, genetics making it a bit harder, or starting a lot later in life than others, or simply confidence and belief issues.

Sometimes these issues are a problem for many, for some they aren't, but in your case you've made significant change in later life and deserve to be proud of yourself.

You're one of lifes truest exponents of the meaning of being human and you can hold your head high misses, because you've done plenty to show people what you're capable of and you have humbled me on many an occasion and I'm man enough to admit it, because I admire you for having the gumption and balls to stand up and be counted, instead of continuing to live in a set way, that was entrenched for years, possibly being someone that made loads of excuses and settled for the aging process, with a load of medications and a moan now and then like some do.

I'm related to someone like that and it's like banging your head against a wall sometimes. Every excuse under the sun and a couldn't care less attitude to themselves, as if they don't need or have to change, or can't because they're too long in the tooth for change.

This is not you, this is someone you might have become, but you didn't. You're a colourful character and a positive influence on others. I hope you continue to be amazing, because that's what we are here to do. Provide people like you with soem of the tools to make a new start in life and an opportunity to start making positive change and continue to realise it.

Keep up the hard work and keep on being you. You're a true star and a true Lady through and through.

WELL DONE
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Thanks Bossman :) I sure don't even want to be perfect, how boring! LOL But I will do the best I can - I surely am aware of the steps I need to take to get fit and live a healthy longer life. I'm fortunate at age that I take no meds - all vitals are good - so a good base to work from.

Today baked protein bars and Dr. Mike's Cookies (those bad boys, they are SOOOO good!) Went to the Chiropractor - really like him and think he'll be able to help me in so many ways. He is more than just a chiropractor...disciplines of chiropractic care, naturopathic care, massage therapy, nutritional counseling and sports rehabilitation are used in combination to elicit the best possible therapeutic outcomes for their patients. I feel I am in good hands.

I'll be on vacation in Florida for the next week. Take care and enjoy!
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

ldematto wrote:I sure don't even want to be perfect, how boring
You and boring could never be in the same sentence! :D
ldematto wrote:I'll be on vacation in Florida for the next week. Take care and enjoy!
Have fun! Are you wearing your bikini? You should. Go for it Lu!!! :mrgreen: