Lu's Workout Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculargirl
VETERAN

Re: Lu's Workout Journal

Post by musculargirl »

ldematto wrote:I have a packet of speeches and compositions that were written by Great Grandfather when he was 18 years old in1878-1879. How does one throw these things away?
I wouldn't throw that away Lou. Keep it! What a nice momento to have of your great grandfather. :) I really enjoy reading stuff like that and keeping it. Reminds me of this paper a relative of mine in the 1950's wrote telling stories of a descendant of ours from a long time ago. he ends it with he will continue telling more stories at a later date. I guess he got busy and never did. :( I know some people take no interest in stuff like that but definitely not me. I think you should keep it. :)
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

musculargirl wrote:I wouldn't throw that away Lou. Keep it! What a nice momento to have of your great grandfather. :) I really enjoy reading stuff like that and keeping it. Reminds me of this paper a relative of mine in the 1950's wrote telling stories of a descendant of ours from a long time ago. he ends it with he will continue telling more stories at a later date. I guess he got busy and never did. :( I know some people take no interest in stuff like that but definitely not me. I think you should keep it. :)
Definitely I agree ! I also have detailed history as told by Grandfather, Grandmother, and Mom of their lives and life in those times...very interesting reading. I guess concern is, after me, who cares? So sad......the historical content is so important...or should be. Mom went way, way back and has information on our family, both sides, that most families have no idea about.....it's actually amazing. The pictures are incredible as well - I have shots of town that no one in these times even remember. I have the original local papers on the hurricane of '38 that swept through here and devastated the area...pictures and stories....and political discord throughout the years as recorded, Mom's leanings were very transparent :) She wrote letters to the editor of the newspapers, some that were returned because they were controversial...for example support of birth control. She wrote to Governors, and many times just to herself...now being read by her daughter. Yes, I did NOT know mother...not nearly as well as I could have. She actually wrote one letter saying that very same thing about her own mother - that she didn't know her as a person, only as her mother.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Your mother sounds like she was ahead of her generation! Heck i don't know if some of relatives even to this day believe in birth control. :lol: I don't remember if you have any children Lou? Maybe one of them will take an interest?? I understand what you are saying but I would definitely still keep it. I would love to have that kind of detail on family history. Very interesting! It's definitely an insight into your family and your mother. :)
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

musculargirl wrote:Your mother sounds like she was ahead of her generation! Heck i don't know if some of relatives even to this day believe in birth control. :lol: I don't remember if you have any children Lou? Maybe one of them will take an interest?? I understand what you are saying but I would definitely still keep it. I would love to have that kind of detail on family history. Very interesting! It's definitely an insight into your family and your mother. :)
I have sons....it's just not the same - I will ask all family members (Aunts, Uncles, Cousins)to come and peruse what I have and take what they want. minus of course the things that are most precious to me.

Mom was definitely ahead of her generation - very bright and articulate. She actually wrote a book that she wrote over 50 years, that I now have...unpublished of course. Once again something controversial so she didn't want to publish afraid of repercussions....religious of nature. Someday I need to read the entire book and try to get it published in her memory.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

amatlack wrote:Nope, not at 160 yet. :) Still around 166. Trying to find a new normal as I'm in the new job and living in parents' house, so I also have a really long commute. Just got a calorie-counting app that's really cool, so I'm hoping it will help me. Definitely makes me think twice about adding an extra snack when I have to look at it in terms of numbers. ;) I posted a bit about that in journal.
I almost missed your post! I did read your journal and commented on your calorie counting app - I'm going to try it! I totally agree that keeping track of everything that you put in your mouth helps!
Hey, you're still under 170 - me too, that's good!! I fluctuate between 166 and 169 these days. We need to remember how hard it was to get where we are and feel good about it! 160 will come :) With a new job and environment you are doing incredibly well! You've been on the right track for years now - eating healthy and generally taking care of yourself and you should be proud. What you are doing now....well, that is MOST important - you are home, with your family when they need you. I wish I had a daughter like you :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Speaking of women not getting in retirement homes years ago, I was watching a TV show a few years back that showed old music performances.

One featured band was the Specials, those guys that did "Ghost Town" in 1981 and in relation to the black guy who I recall played bass, Neville Staples, a caption came up saying he'd tried to get his father into a retirement home, in a place called Coventry, (a fairly big city in the Midlands, for those who have never heard of it) and apparently they refused to let him live there because he was black :x.

I can sort of understand that mentality if that was the 1960's, but this was around 2004. Absolutely made me a bit irate to be honest, reading that.

As for losing that last bit of with all the addeed activity, there is a danger it could come back you know, if those activities were not things you could regularly, like say weeding every 3-6= months, so you'd need some contigency plans to get and / or keep it off just incase :).

Good to see you back. I hope the knee gets better soon. You're a superb person and deserve to not have such issues in your life.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Boss Man wrote:As for losing that last bit of with all the added activity, there is a danger it could come back you know, if those activities were not things you could regularly, like say weeding every 3-6= months, so you'd need some contingency plans to get and / or keep it off just incase :).
Oh I know I need to keep up exercise and eat right unless I want to pack those pounds on again and the answer to that is a resounding NO~! I'm doing exercises, but cardio in particularly on the treadmill or walking have been stalled due to knee....I was once told by a doctor that if what you do really hurts, don't do it, otherwise I'd try to work through it. There has been improvement but simply walking from one place to the other was painful and knee would collapse...not good:( I think I few more days I'll b able to resume a normal cardio plan.
Today I may go out to the shooting range if it stops raining - another love of mine.Just target, no hunting for me ....
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

When I had spine realigned, immediately afterwards right knee started feeling like it would give out. So much so I stopped in the mall to try & stretch it out. I almost called miss bone person to ask her what the hell she had done. It went away a few hours later.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Bonnie wrote:When I had spine realigned, immediately afterwards right knee started feeling like it would give out. So much so I stopped in the mall to try & stretch it out. I almost called miss bone person to ask her what the hell she had done. It went away a few hours later.
Interesting. It does seem that every time I get one thing worked on, the other side goes out of whack...I think I'll just work these things out without the help of a chiropractor or other doc for awhile......see what happens :?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No, what I meant Lu, was you saying you were going to do things to help the weight off like gardening etc, then me saying if you do things like that that only require occasional commitment, then they may help to being with, but when you're not doing them so much, you might not remain quite actiive enough, to sustain the progress they helped you to get.

I mean gardening is good calorie burning, but if you do it every 4-6 weeks, it's a low frequency of exertion, relative to say jogging 3-4 times a week.

So by using the words "contigency plans", I meant different activities to the fill the void the others leave behind, when they are only necessary now and then :).

Hopefully that makes things clearer :).
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Boss Man wrote:No, what I meant Lu, was you saying you were going to do things to help the weight off like gardening etc, then me saying if you do things like that that only require occasional commitment, then they may help to being with, but when you're not doing them so much, you might not remain quite actiive enough, to sustain the progress they helped you to get.

I mean gardening is good calorie burning, but if you do it every 4-6 weeks, it's a low frequency of exertion, relative to say jogging 3-4 times a week.

So by using the words "contigency plans", I meant different activities to the fill the void the others leave behind, when they are only necessary now and then :).
I heard what you meant and totally agreed with you :) I knew you meant that gardening alone wasn't going to do it for me ;) I just hope I can get back to some regular cardio 3-4 times a week soon along with a good weight routine. In the meantime I'll do what I can...and hope I don't go backwards.

I always appreciate your comments Boss Man and know you mean well......no worries there ;)
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Hey Lu, son and I were looking at the different journal posts this morning and he noticed that you have 1812 posts and I have 2812 posts. I'm ahead by 1000!! Well, I guess now it is 1001. :lol: :lol: have a great weekend Lu. :mrgreen:
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

fitoverforty wrote:Hey Lu, son and I were looking at the different journal posts this morning and he noticed that you have 1812 posts and I have 2812 posts. I'm ahead by 1000!! Well, I guess now it is 1001. :lol: :lol: have a great weekend Lu. :mrgreen:
We were still evenly off by 1,000 - you posted in mine AND yours! Ha!

You are clearly much more verbose than I...and I meanclever too! And of course I only recently became adept at "quotes" - LOL

Wow - time has flown - when I signed on there were only around 90,000 members to the site~! :shock: I wonder how many still post...Boss Man, is there any way to find out how many active members there are? Active can be defined in a variety of ways...posting once a month? Also, Boss - where is the wonderful Cassie? Is she ok? I totally miss her ~!
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

ldematto wrote:where is the wonderful Cassie? Is she ok? I totally miss her
I googled her name (i love to google what can i say) and this video came up.

http://www.rxmuscle.com/videos/rx-girl- ... erall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

ldematto wrote:You are clearly much more verbose than I...
"verbose" definition = "long winded, wordy..."......so...what are ya trying to say Lu? I talk toomuchIdon'tknowwhereyouwouldgetthatideaImeanIletotherstalktoosometimesbutIjusthavesomuchtosayyaknow? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wow, great video of Cassie! So good to see her doing so well and looking fantastic. She is so sweet and down to earth, but obviously has a will of steel to go after her dreams and do the work to make them come true. I'm glad she found someone that supports her and understands her passion. GO CASSIE! You are hero!! :D