Lu's Workout Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: Lu's Workout Journal

Post by fitoverforty »

great workout day Lu! Your legs have got to be tired after intervals then lunges and squats! :shock: good job!! :D
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Skipped yesterday outside of Windmills and then lunges while waking the dog - in addition to putting all the furniture back in place once the floors were dry - so I was not sedentary in the least :shock:

Had 2 48" W by 78" H mirrors installed in the gym. I have very little wall space that can accommodate mirrors, but they work. The good news is I will be able to make sure form is good - also see muscles pop ;) The BAD news is, I look much heavier from the waist down than I thought~ Ack!!! I guess what's good about that is I'll work harder to get rid of it!

Warmed up with 50 Windmills and 25 Jumping Jacks
Deads - 2 x 10 - 90 lbs.
Incline Flyes - 3 x 15 - 5 lb DB's
Post Delts - 2 x 25 - 5 lb DB's
Chin Ups - 3 x 10 - 9 Assist
Lunges 1 x 12 (Walking) 1 x 12 (Reverse)
Tricep Extensions - 3 x 15 - 10 lb DB

Jumped on the Treadmill and did the Sprint 8 Program - 20 minutes, 8 sprints - Level 5

I made a fabulous dessert yesterday to bring to a friends house for dinner. It's considered a *clean* dish, so I'll include the recipe for anyone who wants it.

Custard Trifle

Ingredients
3 tbsp Custard Powder
1 tbsp Organic Honey
2 1/2 Cups skim Milk
1 Teas Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Nutmeg (I didn't have any nutmeg so substituted Cinnamon)

Package of Frozen Unsweetened Raspberries, and Blueberries - I used 1 pkg RB's but Fresh Blueberries, and a few fresh raspberries )
6-7 Kiwi (I bought Kiwi but it wasn't ripe enough so I used fresh strawberries) Sliced for layering.

2 Pkg Italian Lady Fingers

Combine Custard Powder and honey in large saucepan and mix milk in slowly with wisk. Place on Medium heat and cook until it thickens, mixing constantly.

Place layer of Lady fingers on bottom, then sprinkle raspberry juice over them, some raspberries, blueberries, strawberries (or kiwi), cover with custard, then start again. I was able to make three layers.

Refrigerate. It's good for 3 days, if it lasts that long! :)
You can top with whipped cream and sprinkle fresh fruit on top, but it no longer qualifies as a *clean* dessert.

It was light an yummy -Served 10 - ALL loved it!
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Sunday morning had a GREAT Power Walk with Son at the campground - I'll have to measure the distance sometime...but it's at least 2 miles, not sure. Today did a Power Walk (not as aggressive) with hubby - entire body hurts...?!?! I don't get it - I seem to be working harder and on a regular basis but body is feeling like an aging old lady! Ack!!
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

I know how you feel Lu. I seem to develop the strangest injuries and soreness these days. second toe on right foot feels like it is broken - and all I did was run on the treadmill! right arm at the elbow has been sore for over a month now - don't see it getting any better - it is an injury that can't get well, unless i put arm in a sling and stop using it altogether! gah!!!!!
Anyway, your soreness may have to do with doing your Power walking outdoors on a harder surface than the treadmill - the body takes more of a pounding with a harder impact on joints. Just an idea.:D
How's the weather up your way? It is in the 90's here today. ughh!
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Yes it is probably the power walk & surface, keep going :)
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

ldematto wrote:
Custard Trifle

Ingredients
3 tbsp Custard Powder
1 tbsp Organic Honey
2 1/2 Cups skim Milk
1 Teas Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Nutmeg (I didn't have any nutmeg so substituted Cinnamon)

Package of Frozen Unsweetened Raspberries, and Blueberries - I used 1 pkg RB's but Fresh Blueberries, and a few fresh raspberries )
6-7 Kiwi (I bought Kiwi but it wasn't ripe enough so I used fresh strawberries) Sliced for layering.

2 Pkg Italian Lady Fingers

Combine Custard Powder and honey in large saucepan and mix milk in slowly with wisk. Place on Medium heat and cook until it thickens, mixing constantly.

Place layer of Lady fingers on bottom, then sprinkle raspberry juice over them, some raspberries, blueberries, strawberries (or kiwi), cover with custard, then start again. I was able to make three layers.

Refrigerate. It's good for 3 days, if it lasts that long! :)
You can top with whipped cream and sprinkle fresh fruit on top, but it no longer qualifies as a *clean* dessert.

It was light an yummy -Served 10 - ALL loved it!
Sounds really good but what is custard powder?? Where do you find it?
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

PandorasVise wrote:Sounds really good but what is custard powder?? Where do you find it?
I didn't know what it was either so I asked the grocery clerk. He brought me to where the pudding mixes were sold, but couldn't find it there, not sure where he went but he brought me a round container made by Bird's - called Custard Powder - it's really cool!

New Program for me - starting either today or tomorrow. Depends on how left leg feels :( I found it in the June publication of Oxygen (which I subscribe to) Anyway, I want beach body by July 4th, so here's what it is:
Exercise - REPS - Type of Movement
1. Plie Squats - 8-10 - Lower Body (Thighs)
2. Dumbbell Rows - 10-12 - Pull (Back)
3. Alternating Dumbbell Curl - 10-12 - Pull (Biceps)
4. Dumbbell Step - Ups - 0-12 -- Lower Body (thighs, glutes, hamstrings, calves)
5. Flat Bench DB Chest Press 10-12 - Push (pectorals)
6. Seated DB Shoulder Press - 10-12 - Push (Delts)
7. Seated Tricep Ext. - 8-10 - Push (Triceps)
8. Stiff Legged Deads - 8-10 - Lower Body (hams, glutes, lower back)
9. Cross Bench Pullover - 10-12 - Pull (Back, chest, triceps)
10. Standing DB Cross chest curl - 10-12 - Pull (biceps)

Circuit training - they say to do each exercise above one after the other without rest. Then rest 60-90 seconds, do as many circuits as you can with a goal of completing 3 complete circuits. Three times per week, M-W-F, with AB work on off days (Stability Ball Roll -ups, Knee drops and planks) Also Tuesday and Thursday on the treadmill will do a Fat Blasting Program (30 minutes at various speed intervals and incline at various RPE's) I will follow the plan posted in the magazine........Sat or Sunday Power Walk at Campground will be optional - I'm thinking body may need a rest.

Intensity is what I am looking for - I need to ramp up workouts and get some results!! Wish me luck!

I get Shape and Oxygen, both Magazines are terrific with lots of great ideas. I chose these after reading tons of different mags over the past year, because I felt they really had some great information and offered solid programs and advice. Of course it was Tosca Reno (now the wife of the publisher of Oxygen) who motivated me to get started with a health and fitness program and she is the author of the Eat-Clean Diet and other books I've read.

Have a great day!
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Sounds like a great workout plan Lu! I think it will work well for you.
ldematto wrote:Intensity is what I am looking for - I need to ramp up workouts and get some results!! Wish me luck!
Yes, we must get our beach bodies before July 4th! 8) You can do it!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Just never go on the Oxygen board though. That place busted four moderators, banned one, edited some of her stickies with full stops to remove all the info, then had a 500+ post discussion about what should and shouldn't have happened. Yeah as if anyone wants to see your ditry laundry airing in public.

Plus I caught a few people sniping, then somone else slipping an ooh that's gotta hurt type follow-up, which is just pathetic points scoring :roll:.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Boss Man wrote:ust never go on the Oxygen board though. That place busted four moderators, banned one, edited some of her stickies with full stops to remove all the info, then had a 500+ post discussion about what should and shouldn't have happened. Yeah as if anyone wants to see your ditry laundry airing in public.
OMG~! Are you serious? Obviously I've never been on their board or was I aware there was one~! Shapefit is the only place I need :)

Well it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do that program (or any other one?!?) for the immediate future. left leg (knee) is truly not right - the pain is on the upper part of the knee bend in back toward the outside, may be a ligament....there is referred pain in foot/heel. :( Looks like I need to visit the doc~!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

ldematto wrote:Shapefit is the only place I need :)
Well it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do that program (or any other one?!?) for the immediate future. left leg (knee) is truly not right - the pain is on the upper part of the knee bend in back toward the outside, may be a ligament....there is referred pain in foot/heel. :( Looks like I need to visit the doc~!
Sounds like it could be Posterior Cruciate or the Lateral Collegiate.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Boss Man wrote:Sounds like it could be Posterior Cruciate or the Lateral Collegiate.
I found an article on Posterior Cruciate, but nothing on Lateral Collegiate...can you elaborate?

No exercise today - aside from needing to rest leg/knee I took son to a surgeon in Hartford - he needs surgery ASAP!! The earliest they could get him in was 2 weeks out - he's having an anterior ???fusion on his C4-5...they will take a piece of bone from his hip to replace the disks that have degenerated creating pressure on the nerves to his spinal column....this poor guy! No known reason for this happening, he's the one who had rotator cuff surgery not long ago....

I've been putting Biofreeze on leg / knee - hope to feel better tomorrow so I'll be able to work out. Probably should avoid certain exercises :( Boss - if it's one of the 2 you mention what do you think could've caused it? Nothing specific happened?!? It does seem to be a reoccuring issue with me though...I haven't read the article yet, but will do so shortly.

Thanks
Lu
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

couldn't possibly diagnose that over the net
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

swanso5 wrote:couldn't possibly diagnose that over the net
Of course not :) We're all just thinking out loud.....will need to see a doctor for sure if it doesn't get better soon.

It feels better today, but still a problem. I don't have any problems squatting or doing lunges or windmills....but I think I will take a break from the treadmill. I'll try the elliptical today.

Have a great day ~!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

mistake, I made a typo.

The Lateral Collateral is a ligament on the outside of the Knee, along with the Medial Collateral it is one of two Ligaments responsible for stabilising the knee.

The Anterior Cruciate is responsible for forward movement and rotation. The Posterior Cruciate is responsible for making sure the Knee doesn't bend back too far, but also helps with backwards movement.