Ironwill's workout log

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ironwill
VETERAN

Ironwill's workout log

Post by ironwill »

Back at it after a week off. workout's consist primarily of Elliptical with stopping at 3 min. intervals for some strength training, light duty body weight exercises.

Wed.

Elliptical--28 min--3.5 miles

Stopped at interval 10 for 20 Crunches

Stopped at interval 13,19,25 for BWx10 push-ups

Interval 16,22 for 15 Crunches

I am in need of a HR monitor. I did this at 6;30pm and hadn't eaten, which was a mistake.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Be aware, that Heart Rate monitors are only a guide. Don't rely on them at all to be 100% accurate, as just like most if not all electronic devces, for measuring fluctuations in body activity, I.E. HR, Calories burned, etc etc, you would never know for sure.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Boss Man wrote:Be aware, that Heart Rate monitors are only a guide. Don't rely on them at all to be 100% accurate, as just like most if not all electronic devces, for measuring fluctuations in body activity, I.E. HR, Calories burned, etc etc, you would never know for sure.
Is there a better way to keep track? I am currently doing the two fingers jabbed into neck for 15 sec. times 4. I typically run 155-160 bpm, which as I've recently learned, puts me in the anaerobic level for AG. I have alot to learn.... :?: Thanks for the response :)
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Thurs.

4 mile bike ride. New gear shifter came in, so didn't have to ride in one gear..... :D

Pull-up's BWx4x4 (lost some ground on these)

Lying leg raises 5x20
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Not really. You could possibly use the two fingers on the Wrist approach, for checking pulse rate, but be aware as I said that any portable, or static electronic devices, used for measuring bodily behaviour during and after exercise, are guides only.

Unless you could see your Heart with X-ray vision, how could you see Heart rate anyway, as going by feel alone would be nigh on impossible.

Well maybe if you bought a Stethoscope to check it, during exercise, but that's a bit costly and fairly pointless.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Fri.

Elliptical--35 min. 4.1 mi.

Interval 10,16,22,28,35-- 20 Crunches

Interval 13,19,25,31-- 12 push-ups

Push-ups much easier today. Need to do further study to improve the time I do put into training. This is just a way to begin. I don't have alot of time to give to this with work, family etc. Trying to get the most bang for buck.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Been reading alot about diet, including Swanso's sticky. Going to post what I eat today, as I never really keep track, I just weigh myself in the morning, and if its too heavy, I just eat less of whatever I eat. Consequently when weight gets down around 180, I lose strength, and feel tired, with little to no energy. That's been the frustrating part of trying to get leaner.

7am--Homeade Chocolate Chip muffin w/butter, glass of milk, multivitamin, Coffee with cream, and sugar.... :roll:

12-- Ground beef-85% lean burger w/bun, and ketchup. Pickle.

6pm--2 eggs, 1 English muffin w/small amount of butter, 1 oz. nuts.

3/4 cup of M&M's mixed in during the day.

Water total for day--1.5l

This is first day of really thinking about WHAT I eat as opposed to HOW MUCH I eat. This will take some time to develop.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Sat.

30 min Elliptical--4.0 miles. Tried to keep HR in aerobic level.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Mon

This is going to be a messed up week. I am working 5am-8pm mon.- fri. as mate is on VAC. Any exercise will be done in the office, and will be limited.

430am--Choc. chip muffin, milk, multi vit
500am--coffee w/cream, and sugar
8am--1.5 oz. lightly salted nuts, followed by banana
12am--Ground beef burger, white bun, slice cheese, ketchup
230pm--Lowfat yogurt
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Tues.

15 hour work day....I know lame excuse.

Push-ups (office floor) 4X10

Working alot with fitTracker learning more about diet. Becoming more conscious of H2O intake. Will start re-writing breakfast diet first, as I find better foods. Need to increase protein intake alot. Decrease fat (obviously) and carbs. Enjoying the site. Big help getting me organized to make change. Knowledge is power.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Wed.

15 hour workday. Did a few exercises when I got home, but nothing extravagant, as sleep time is limited getting out at 8pm and being back to work at 5am.

Pull-ups 4X5

20 Crunches
20 Leg raisies.

Getting used to fitTracker, entering foods eaten. Checking out alot of foods as I begin to plan what food intake will be. Poking through the cupboards found a cereal I hadn't tried called Kashi Go Lean. Lots of protein, low fat, high fiber, threw that in for 8am snack. Liked it. Cut M&M's to <100g. Once bag is gone, I'm done except for occasional treat. This has developed into a bad habit thats officially broken. I'm amazed, as I look at foods, how little protein things have, fat and carbs are plentiful. H2o consumption has increased as I'm determined to get 8 glasses up on the glass tracker everyday. Sure do urinate alot though :)
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Thurs.

15 hour work day.

Push-ups 1X3 then 4X10

BW Squats 4X10

Just threw in the squats just to warn body whats coming soon. Changes to what I have been doing. Changing up some foods in diet. Protein intake still to low, fat too high.....obviously. Slowly replacing high fat content with high protein foods. Probably raising caloric intake, as plan before was to just not eat. Bad plan. Thanks to the info on this site, I believe I'm turned in the right direction, just need to get a workout plan together.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Tues.

First time trying HIIT, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Elliptical--4.2 miles total--30 min.

5 min. warm-up

30 sec. at 300 watts (not really sure what the watts means, but guess it a way to keep track of how hard your working.)

90 sec. at approx. 25 watts

Did this until I hit 25 min. then did a 5 min. cool down. HR was near 158-162 after sprint, and found possibly easy run should have been a little longer as HR was still 115-120 when I sprinted again. Any thoughts?
Followed this with a big glass of milk mixed with 2 eggs, and a small scoop of Ovaltine. Haven't picked up any Protein powder yet. Not sure I need it after cardio.

Training schedule (tenatively) is going to be weights (full-body) sat. mon. wed. and cardio Sun. tues. and if I feel frisky I'll throw another one in on thurs. or fri. The weights will be bodyweight exercises for now, until I find a set to buy cheap... :wink:
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Wed.

First shot at weight day. I only have two 8lb. db's thus far so will utilize what I have until I secure some wts.

Squats 3x12x16lb.
Push-ups 3x12
Bent Rows 3x12x16
Shoulder Press 3x12x16

Pretty small start, but it will change. Shooting for a full body workout 3 times a week. I appreciate all the info on this site. Adding weights is definately a change from what I was doing, hopefully it will work out well.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Thurs. and Fri.--Off due to 15 hour work day.

Sat.

Squats--12w
Shoulder Press--12w
Push-up--8
Row--8 (body weight row, hangin from a bar, feet up on a support, body horizontal, wider than shoulder width grip...try to touch chest on bar.Fun!)

Each exercise immediately following the other.
Did this for 4 sets with 60-90 seconds rest in between.
The w (weight) used for now are 16lb. dumbells. Pretty sure I have acquired the following:

Olympic weight bench and frame set includes the following.
270lbs of Olympic weights
Incline bench
Preacher curl attachment
Leg extension/curl attachment
Lat pull down cable setup w/ lat bar and V bar for triceps
Seated row cable setup
Full size bench press bar
Two dumbbell bars
Curl Bar
Cross bar for pull ups
Safeties for squat and bench press exercises.

Just waiting to hear back from the guy when I can pick it up. Going to be weird, I haven't pumped iron since military days 1987-1991. Actually pretty stoked about it. wifeys gonna lift too.... :D

Sun.

Elliptical, HIIT, 4miles total, 30min.

1. 5 min. warm-up
2. 30 sec sprint 350-400 watts-- HR 160+/-
3. 2 min. rest 20-25 watts
Did 2+3 for 25 min.
4. 5 min. cool down