New updated workout, out with old in with new..

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ldematto
VETERAN

Re: New updated workout, out with old in with new..

Post by ldematto »

Bonnie wrote:Nope its a free bar in a rack :)
Of course! I don't know what I was thinking....It's been so long since I've been to a commercial gym I completely forgot! The squat rack is where I did all dead lifts at Planet Fitness. Now I have a free bar that I use with Smith Machine. Fortunately it doubles as both :)
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

The only issue I have with smith machines is they take out the need for the body to stabilize itself during the lift. So the core & lateral stabilizer muscles will not be utilized to the same degree.

Today's workout is sprints, however its raining, so whenever it stops...I'll be out there :)

I had to take a new picture for business card, which I FINALLY ordered ! Only thing left is the website, sigh.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Bonnie wrote:The only issue I have with smith machines is they take out the need for the body to stabilize itself during the lift. So the core & lateral stabilizer muscles will not be utilized to the same degree.
Agree. Since I workout alone it helps when a spotter is not available - safety comes first in mind, I'm working on core otherwise.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Word I hate the weather here..saw the sun, so cooked oatmeal. By the time I was ready it started pissing rain. An hour later I finally got to head out for sprints..

2 x 8
4 x 7
9 x 6
1 x 5
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The Smith versus free bar thing has rumbled on for years.

I Smith Squat because I don't need spotters and I train on own, which makes it safer. People will say it uses a fixed range of motion, which free bar doesn't, making free bar better, but the fact is if you get the right positioning on a Smith, the range of motion would be the same as free bar anyway, becasue you stick out the rear on the way down, keep a straight back, then up to vertical again, same as free bar squatting.

One will enevitably mimic the other when you have comparable body positions, that's only logical.

The only difference is, that most free Bars are slightly thinner in girth.

The main difference is being able to use much more weight on a Smith, but that's probably down to some weight distribution through the frame.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Range of motion would be the same, but there would still be the side to side & back to front balance missing, with a fixated bar.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

range of motion will not be the same and leverage will also be shifted which is the biggest risk

there is no reason at all to squat on a smith machine regardless of experience or ability

if you think you need a spotter, don't try a rep your not sure of getting

if you have stability issues, use a db held in front under the chin
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

There are many opinions on the Smith - what's right for some may not be right for others. It works for me as I have the benefit of both, a fixed range of motion and the benefits of using a free bar. If form is not an issue, the Smith can't hurt.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

In walks the expert :) Yes that is how I started son off is the DB front squat. He couldn't do the regular ones due to the feeling of " falling backwards ".

This had made me curious enough now, to seek out a smith machine to see the difference for myself.No, I would never give up the cage, but how can I advise someone not to use the smith machine, if I can't explain why in detail.Though I agree with the rep situation, if I could use aids such as machines, weight load would be way up, alas I keep it to what I'm capable of.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

if form isn't an issue then why would anyone need it then?
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

swanso5 wrote:if form isn't an issue then why would anyone need it then?
Why not? Want vs. need - some just may prefer using the Smith for reasons already stated.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Are DB squats as effective as BB? What is the main difference between the two? I would feel more comfortable starting out with DB's for the same reason as your son. :)
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Well the weight load will be less than say with a barbell. However for the body to adapt to the movement of a squat until such a point the body has enough strength & balance to do regular ones.Then by all means start out with the DB. I had him hold it chest height, which I suppose is somewhat under the chin, as swanso mentioned above. Use one DB with two hand grip. Happy squatting to you ! :)

Today is house cleaning & rest day. This whole time I have been doing this glut program, I can't help be shocked. If I had not been so offended by the flab sliding down leg, it is highly possible I would of never learnt how to build the lower half of the body :shock: Since I have plans to teach others how to train, that lack of knowledge would of been horrendous. Huge definition coming along in the legs. All over body fat still melting off, damn slow though. I won't take drastic measures to have it happen faster because I would lose energy to build the muscle. Happy Sunday everyone :)
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Found the article

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... od_pyramid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have to say that I was offended by a comment made in someones thread that perhaps I'm " to good to count calories ". As if I had not tipped the scales at 164.8 lbs 3 years previous. I don't believe in counting calories & if one eats the right foods, its not necessary. Portion size, vegetables, lean meats, minimal fruit. I find people who count calories usually say things like " I have this much left over for the day " so I can eat .... ( fill in the blank )

Anyway point being is I've BEEN there too. There are more ways to lose weight than following some number set out by the government or whoever makes those.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _exercises" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this has the reverse lunge with dead lift.