New updated workout, out with old in with new..

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Bonnie
VETERAN

Re: New updated workout, out with old in with new..

Post by Bonnie »

Todays workout

Although on paper, some workouts SHOULD take 45 minutes or an hour, calculating tempo, rest times etc never pan out to the real workout in opinion.Those times do not count bending over to take off collars, add weights, got & get the plates etc etc..so to me as a trainer I think those are some things to mention to those clients who plan to work as I do.Otherwise there is a risk they will feel inadequate for not finishing on time.I do a set, write it down, walk to the fountain & do the other half of the superset.I don't take rests, unless its dead lift & even then I'm setting up for the next lift.

I have tried to figure out this magical " 45 minute " workout they taught us in school.To me unless your doing ONE set, using machines where you only move a pin OR doing maybe 4 exercises per workout, that 45 minutes is bunk.

Todays Workout
7:15 am to 8:45 am

Pull ups with belt
2 x 5 x 5
1 x 4 x 5
with
Step ups 16 inch
1 x 8 x 100
1 x 6 x 115
1 x 4 x 115

Bench BB press
1 x 8 x 85
2 x 5 x 90
with
Side plank
3 x 1 minute

Dead lift
1 x 6 x 135...x 5 x 145...x 3 x 155
with
Hanging leg raises
3 x 10

One arm row
1 x 8 x 40....x 5 x 45...x 4 x 45
scottgaran
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by scottgaran »

I have found that I can put someone through a workout in about 45 minutes if I am using selectorized machines, but am always pushing an hour plus if we are using free weights and changing plates. I suppose it also depends upon the training split. A five day split could be widdled down to some days at about 45 minutes if it was set up properly, but even then it pushes it.
Scott
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Good to know, was beginning to think there is something wrong with me.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i train clients within the hr with warm up, foam rolling, joint mobilisations, glute activation then the workout itself and we have no machines in our studio, it can be done

take a drink bottle instead of going to the fountain every time too and do the superset then drink and write it down - rest cut in half right there
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It can be done, but it's based on things like number of sets, reps, etc. I normally take about 1hr 10 minutes, but I can do it faster if I am short of time, but generally I don't like that, as I end up feeling it a bit more and one or two exercises start to suffer regards finishing the reps.

I generally don't tend to superset much either, as most of the time when I used to superset in the past, it caused problems, I'd end up using both the E-Z bars for example, so other people couldn't use one, plus I'd tag an exercise on the end of another, find the usual weight amount was too much, cut back and then not feel it.

So I just do normal basic movements now, with one or two more advanced things thrown in, to keep things simple. It works for me, so that's all that matters :).
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Well right now i actually have the time to take longer, however that might not be the case in the near future.Thanks swanso I will try that & see how much I can time i can reduce.

Though as boss mentioned if say your working agonist/antagonist muscle groups, since one will assist the other, do either ever have a chance to fully recover enough for full strength ? Upper & lower maybe because they are completely different muscle groups..

Todays SS workout
20 mins @ incline level 1...5.5 mph
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

if your doing back and chest it looks like this:

bench press set x 10secs
30secs getting to next exercise
back exercise x 10secs
45 - 60secs rest drinking/writing

so 90secs btw sets easily

a pair of 4 sets each should take no longer than 10mins i'd think
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

I'll give that a go on Monday, thanks swanso :)
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Todays workout

I did the tabata workout, Allison posted earlier.

Damn stuff whips by in a blur, I did them on the elliptical, so lost 3-4 of the 20 seconds restarting & obviously can't do a dead stop or the machine times out...I was half way through the first set of intervals & though OMG will I live through this ?!! Though by round three of intervals I'd settled in okay..kick butt workout.Treadmills were all busy, of course.

Then I did resistance level eight...4.4 mph for 20 minutes.

Was hoping for a treadmill, due to the fact I've irritated shoulder, most likely a ROM discrepancy on the bench press, when will I ever learn ?..Hope it is a bit better for Monday.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Today was an off day, I've rested all day, not much in the way of housework.Took a trip to whole foods, oatmeal run.I've noticed since I eat all ( except salad dressing ) unprocessed foods etc I find it really hard to put things in me or on me ( skin ) that aren't natural.While i think avalon is out of present budget.." everyday shea " isn't.Bought the body lotion, vanilla scent, hope to get the body wash & corresponding hair products soon.

Not so sure of how well chest presses will go this week, I suppose I should consider the possibility of a BIGGER tear happening..think its 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch already.If I'm not mistaken I can feel a twinge on the left side too.Maybe a wee bit carried away on the presses lately, mind is ahead of body capabilities.

As for the salad dressing I have TRIED eating 2 of the recipes listed in shapefit, the creamy & classic vinaigrettes & both suck compared to kraft & I end up tossing out some salad, I HATE to waste even one bite of food, so think I'll stick to what I already like.Hope everyone had a good weekend.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Umm I'm fairly sure by pain indication I've now torn the other shoulder..thought these things aren't supposed to tear easily ?..Might back off of presses this week & concentrate on double rows.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Sorry to hear that Bonnie. Take care of yourself!
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

lol..might be a little late for that but thanks ;)
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

So sorry you seem to have a bigger or another tear. :( You've come so far, maybe it's time to pace yourself a bit - I know I did the same thing, went too heavy too soon - mind was better than body - that was a long time ago now, but I've been keeping it light - of course you are in much better shape! Be well :)
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Yeah I might of been a bit hasty, both sides were feeling discomfort in the same spot, so doubt it is a new tear.Though I kept press on the lower side today.

weight 111.9 ..only .1 loss ( good not trying to lose )..still considerable fat % loss though, almost there.

So I DID it...45 minute workout..swanso you are HERO !!..who would of thought bringing that water bottle would cut out SO much time ?..

Chin ups w belt
2 x 4 x 12.5....1 x 4 x 10 lb
with
WS back squats
1 x 8 x 100...x 6 x 110...x 4 x 115 lb ( have straightened the decent )

Incline BB press
1 x 8 x 70...x 6 x 70 ...x 4 x 75 lb
with
Dead lifts
1 x 8 x 135...x 4 x 145...x3 x 155

Bent BB rows
1 x 8 x 45...x 6 x 55...x 6 x 65
with
Hanging leg raise
3 x 10

High to low wood chops
3 x 8 x 11/12 lb medicine ball

I actually finished in 40 minutes, could of added shoulders in maybe.However I used them in the wood chops AND it was window day at work, so three floors of cleaning windows.I use paper towel & old fashioned elbow grease.Windows are never dirty, still a lot of shoulder work though.I want a bit higher rep range on chin ups, so will drop the weight back a bit, until I can do maybe 8 of those, then will put it back up.

I had enough time to bang out cardio, however that HERD of women, who recently moved their hen party from the steppers & elliptical..to the treadmills, had all of them clogged up.Its annoying because you always see them weigh themselves so its obvious they WANT to lose weight.Then you see them hanging off the treadmill on incline 8 or whatever, walking ? Also I didn't have actual runners with me, so couldn't of run anyway.I will continue with the two workouts at least one more week.Then I might cut it to two a week.I feel I'm close to where I need to be.When I remove shorts there is not so much fold falling down & sitting on the back of leg, can't stand that.Have a great day people :)